Small high performance pontoon

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

MattGent

Small high performance pontoon

#1 Post by MattGent » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:24 am

Does anyone have, or have seen, a small high performance pontoon?

There are plenty 24’ and up with 150-300+hp. I’m looking for planing performance around 30+mph in an 18’ or less boat.

The boat I have is 16x8, very simple and light (only drivers seat), and runs 18-19mph with 30hp. I have waterskied behind it but it’s more of a stunt than really fun.

I live on a small tight creek, a big newer boat is possible but I’d prefer to keep it small and simple. Currently has two 22” tubes, round with no strakes. I can build or buy/install a center log with lifting features and upgrade to 60-90hp.

Goal is to cruise in low-20s, pull an adult wakeboarder or skier, and pull kids on tubes. And take two families to the sandbar, which I can already do as-is.

I just have no reference as to how this size/configuration of boat would perform.

Any specs to share?

Matt

Steiner

Re: Small high performance pontoon

#2 Post by Steiner » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:59 pm

I don't get around much but don't think anyone makes an 18' or less toon rated for over maybe 75hp. Have you looked at something like a Hurricane Fundeck? Even the smallest one is rated for 9 people and 150hp.
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

riplipper

#3 Post by riplipper » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:08 pm

What HP is your boat rated for? Technically that could be a limitation.
I am guessing the folks that sell logs would probably be your best technical help as I am sure they do this all the time???
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

Liquid Asset

#4 Post by Liquid Asset » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:56 am

Avalon / Tahoe used to make some small ones. I know you can still get a 18' tritoon with like a 115 powering it. The beam was narrower on the my dealer had a few years ago. It had 6 lifting strakes and a wake board tower. I thought it looked really cool, sure beaia 18' runabout.
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

MattGent

#5 Post by MattGent » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:27 am

Liquid Asset wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:56 am
Avalon / Tahoe used to make some small ones. I know you can still get a 18' tritoon with like a 115 powering it. The beam was narrower on the my dealer had a few years ago. It had 6 lifting strakes and a wake board tower. I thought it looked really cool, sure beaia 18' runabout.
Thanks for the lead; google found this
https://www.avalonpontoons.com/boating- ... t-package/

Which is even a little more performance than I need, probably do OK with a 90.

I'm not concerned with the HP rating; I've rebuilt the transom that is on there, and it may be replaced with an integral center log one anyways.

willy13

#6 Post by willy13 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:50 am

If you buy a new outboard be prepared to go to multiple dealers that will even sell you an outboard. The first 3 mercury dealers would not sell me a new outboard because it was going on a custom 22ft tritoon. They would not pass the final inspection for warranty purposes because it was not a NMMA certified built boat. On the 4th try I finally found a mercury dealer with an open mind that would sell me a 200hp V6 for my 22ft custom tritoon.

There is a general formula for determining max hp of a hull. (lenght x transom width x 2) - 90. Its only a starting point, but if you have insurance, you can use that forumula to prove you are not over powering your custom boat.