Can a hair line crack in a toon be repaired????

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

JV74

Can a hair line crack in a toon be repaired????

#1 Post by JV74 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:04 pm

I have 2 spots on my boat where the toon bracket that allows a deck to be mounted to the toons is cracked. Both toons have the crack in the same place so there is obviously a bit of stress in this environment. Should be noted the boat is a 1984. Anyway on the outside edges of a previous DIY weld I can see a hair line crack all the way around this newer weld...then it even looks to branch off in its own for about 2 inches. Can a crack like that just be welded? For that matter can any crack....hole.......or tear be repaired?????

riplipper

Re: Can a hair line crack in a toon be repaired????

#2 Post by riplipper » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:17 am

Short answer yes, you can weld cracks and holes with great success.
Your toons are 36 years old, that should not be an issue. Airplanes fly for many more years than that and they are aluminum.
However, you must have some stress issues going on. So I would think a good competent welder could
clean the damaged areas, weld/repair, AND, possibly add some extra support struts that may help eliminate repeat issues.
A good welder may even suggest a "patch" welded over top of the crack for extra support.

Finding a good welder you can trust is the tough part.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

JV74

Re: Can a hair line crack in a toon be repaired????

#3 Post by JV74 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:04 am

Yes exactly....there is some stress on the back two supports I am not sure why because I just bought this boat. My first guess is because the engine bracket was not secure and literally bouncing the engine as it was towed down the road. I can see a previous repair to the bracket as it was bolted to the hat channel deck supports but their repair failed. The only thing that doesnt make sense is that a bouncing motor would impart more down force then up......the engine is basically attached to the deck via the hat channels......so I would think the down force shouldnt be putting pressure on those last two deck support brackets.........but if the bouncing was severe enough in the up direction.......well then I can see why I have a problem. Yes I am unable to find a welder that is a professionally run company........just mom and pop mobile welders........I am trying to ask all the questions so I can get a feel of experience etc........but to some degree I am gunna have to get a little lucky.