Suzuki 90 df

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ezrollin

Suzuki 90 df

#1 Post by ezrollin » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:11 am

I have a Suzuki 90 df (2005) with low hrs. that sat for a year without running. I'm a pretty fair mechanic and have no problem doing my own repairs. The motor turns over but won't start. Low pressure fuel pump is filling reservoir but high pressure pump isn't running. I removed the intake manifold with separator that houses the hp fuel pump. As expected it's frozen from sitting. I'm going to replace the hp fuel pump, the regulator and the hp fuel filter. Suzuki's price on these items are just ridiculous...$320 for a fuel pump etc. etc . Now I know the first thing someone will say is, "you get what you paid for." I don't doubt that Suzuki quality is somewhat better than some off brands but $320 for a pump, there's no way to justify that. I read a review on a $30 chinese replacement and one guy has been running one for two yrs. My point is I don't mind replacing the pump every two or three yrs if I have too. My boat is strictly fresh water, so I won't be lost at sea due to engine failure. Does anyone know of another manufacturer. of replacement parts that are reasonably priced...don't won't to buy Chinese if I don't have too.

steve1313

Re: Suzuki 90 df

#2 Post by steve1313 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:45 pm

I can't help you with another manufacturer or source, but there's a bigger potential problem than a cheap pump failing often. One of the reasons marine electrical parts are expensive is spark protection. The last thing you want is a cheap pump that could potentially spark, especially a fuel pump! In my eyes, saving a few hundred bucks isn't worth the risk for that type of part.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

bansil

#3 Post by bansil » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:33 am

This is where I get my parts, great service
https://www.brownspoint.com/

and if you don't have a parts manual

https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc/suzuki/df90.asp

Check their pricing, everything I have bought has been OEM packaging
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

bansil

#4 Post by bansil » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:40 am

Horsepen

#5 Post by Horsepen » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:11 am

Please understand that I am not trying to bust your chops here. My 90 Suzy stays in the barn 4-5 months in the winter, so I really do have a vested reason for asking if you use E-10 gas or recreational gas and do you add any stabilizers or any other additives to your gas? Curious if I could be headed down the same road you are now on. Thanks and good luck with your issue.

ezrollin

#6 Post by ezrollin » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:20 am

Thanks for all replies...after removing fuel vapor separator ,I confirmed I needed a new hp few pump and regulator...I will also replace the hp fuel filter as a precaution. In answer to the question, yes it had regular pump gas and it had sat for at least a year. From this point on mine will crank, brought up to tempature and then gas disconnected and ran dry at least once a month. I'll keep you updated on progress.

bansil

#7 Post by bansil » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:01 pm

I talked with a few mechanics that said to check wiring before dumping parts at it, Between mice and corrosion that is biggest issue, if it ran then sat...hp normally wont just go bad....my .02 trying to save you $$$

ezrollin

#8 Post by ezrollin » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:58 am

Bansil: I've already pulled the intake with vapor separator which houses the hp fuel pump etc. the fuel pump is frozen up and the VS in clogged with harden residue. After a lot of searching I did find a supplier based in Japan that has reasonable prices. I plan on cleaning the VS and replacing every thing in it.

bansil

#9 Post by bansil » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:42 am

:thumbsup

boocat

#10 Post by boocat » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:24 am

I'm putting my faith in non ethanol with additives.

Rick McC.

#11 Post by Rick McC. » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:58 am

I’ve been using ethanol free gas with PRI-G fuel additive in all my non-automotive engines for more years now than I can count.

Anyone that uses any gas with ethanol will eventually pay much more than they saved in buying the crap gas.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

steve1313

#12 Post by steve1313 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:25 am

Rick McC. wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:58 am
I’ve been using ethanol free gas with PRI-G fuel additive in all my non-automotive engines for more years now than I can count.

Anyone that uses any gas with ethanol will eventually pay much more than they saved in buying the crap gas.
Not all ethanol fuel is "crap gas". For 5+ years in two different boats, I've used nothing but 10% Ethanol ValvTect fuel. It's specifically designed for marine use. I've had it sit as long as 5 months with no issues. I think I've used an additive once or twice just to see if it made any difference (it doesn't). I just had my fuel/water separator and my engine fuel filter changed with no signs of water or issues in either one of them.

http://www.valvtect.com/marineFuelGasoline.asp
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

ezrollin

#13 Post by ezrollin » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:43 am

I think the problem is a result of letting the boat sit for long periods of time without running more than anything. I never let gasoline sit in the fuel tank, any leftover goes into the lawn tractor. Once I get this vapor separator rebuilt, the motor will be cranked, brought up to temp and run dry once a month, unless I've been using it. If I have to change the hp fuel pump every couple of years,no problem. Even if it takes a couple of hrs. (it doesn't) to change the pump I willing to do it to save $300 + labor. I'm not cheap, just frugal. Why pay somebody to do something I can do myself, the money saved can be spent on things like batteries etc.

Rick McC.

#14 Post by Rick McC. » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:52 pm

steve1313 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:25 am
Rick McC. wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:58 am

Not all ethanol fuel is "crap gas". For 5+ years in two different boats, I've used nothing but 10% Ethanol ValvTect fuel. It's specifically designed for marine use. I've had it sit as long as 5 months with no issues. I think I've used an additive once or twice just to see if it made any difference (it doesn't). I just had my fuel/water separator and my engine fuel filter changed with no signs of water or issues in either one of them.

http://www.valvtect.com/marineFuelGasoline.asp
Well, we’ll just agree to disagree on that.

I saw the impacts on my neighbors boats when it first came out and no one knew about it, as down here the gas stations had six months to get signs put up advising that the gasoline contained ethanol. Since we live on the water, it was the main topic of conversation in the neighborhood in short order. It’s been many years now since anyone I know or am acquainted with uses ethanol gas in their boats, motorcycles, lawn mowers, or anything else, but their cars. Down here, it’s illegal to use non-ethanol gas in a highway vehicle (which is stupid).
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

jrolin1

#15 Post by jrolin1 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:48 am

I have been using regular up to 10% ethanol gas in my 5 boats and no problems from it. Granted it has only been used in my various boats for 15 to 20 years so it may be too early to tell. Biggest thing is to use the boats and not let them sit.
Boats are:
24 ft Bentley pontoon with 90 mercury
19ft Sea Pro with 150 Yamaha
2 - Yamaha waverunners
15ft Lone Star with old 15hp Johnson