Advice on purchasing a used Tritoon used in saltwater

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Ashyr7

Advice on purchasing a used Tritoon used in saltwater

#1 Post by Ashyr7 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:34 am

A newbie here and have an opportunity to purchase a 2017 Godfrey tritoon. It’s 21 foot with Yamaha 115. I think it originally has a 150. Not sure why there is a 115 on it. It was docked in salt water since their purchase. Has anti-fouling paint. The pontoons are not perfectly clean.

I’m not sure what to look for or I should be asking on a boat that’s sat in salt water?
What could be wrong with it? Even with the paint, could there be issues to look for? What about the motor?

Pic attached.
Everything looks like it was very well maintained, but worried about the salt water.
Any advice, in general about purchasing a used would be appreciated, but especially being a salt water
Used tritoon.
Thank you!
Attachments
8736D8B2-427D-4866-B5CC-ED30B1D2762E.jpeg
Seating
8736D8B2-427D-4866-B5CC-ED30B1D2762E.jpeg (140.71 KiB) Viewed 2646 times
38CE3A16-E9D7-4023-99EC-7DF7A1F98A0F.jpeg
Motor
38CE3A16-E9D7-4023-99EC-7DF7A1F98A0F.jpeg (107.8 KiB) Viewed 2646 times
3593E147-082E-48F8-BD34-FABD8641619F.jpeg
Toon with anti-fouling paint
3593E147-082E-48F8-BD34-FABD8641619F.jpeg (173.53 KiB) Viewed 2646 times

Steiner

Re: Advice on purchasing a used Tritoon used in saltwater

#2 Post by Steiner » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:04 pm

Just me, but personally wouldn't touch it if you can't guarantee how upkeep was done every single time it was used. Very important to flush the engine for several minutes after each and every use. Also supposed to change out the outboard anodes to a different material for salt water use, that includes the internal ones. Oil fogging the internals during extended down time goes from being a case by case necessity around fresh water to pretty critical if kept near/in coastal environment. The bottom paint looks like it was applied for trailering after salt water use just to prevent corrosion between the bunks and logs, not for leaving in the water but I'm not an expert on bottom paint other than thinking it's supposed to cover any part that's submerged. If it's on its second engine....Why? Typically any warranty that would cover corrosion (logs, structure, welds) is voided by salt water use unless a coating is applied by a licensed applicator, not sure about it if the boat is a "salt water series" but don't know if Aqua Patio even makes one of those. Too many good deals out there on boats with the pandemic to gamble on one like this but maybe I'm either too scared or just don't care enough about money. Where are you in SC? I'd assume near the coast?
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

TWB

#3 Post by TWB » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:48 am

I'm certainly no authority, but have a couple of questions.
When you say "docked in saltwater" do you mean it sat IN the water the entire life? No lift? Not trailered during the winter? Is there any indication of how many hours it has on it?

The only reason I ask is the toons don't look terrible (from the picture). Depending on how long it sat unused, and depending on what water, I would think there would be more barnacle growth...unless it has been scrubbed. It may also have zinc anodes already, which might be a savior for the motor. I agree with Steiner, hopefully there was flushing done - hopefully on a regular basis.

The only reason I would consider it would be that the interior looks to be in perfect shape, and the toons don't appear to have any damage. If you had the toons and frame carefully checked for corrosion and leaks, and if you found zinc had already been used all over, and if the motor checked out fine, you might have a really nice boat at a fraction of the original price. But those are some heavy IFs.

I live on saltwater and have seen boats left IN the water with pretty substantial barnacle growth begin in a relatively short time. If the price is great, it might be well-worth your time to do some serious checking. I agree totally with Steiner - there are some pretty heavy concerns, but only some time is spent to find out.

:2cents
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

Ashyr7

#4 Post by Ashyr7 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:07 am

Thanks for replies.
I’ll do my best to answer your questions based on what I was told.
I’m in SC. Boat was kept in the Inlet which is salt water. Unclear if they had a lift or not. Most who live on the water here don’t take out for “winter” and use year round. Unclear if it was flushed or not. I would hope so. Everything else looks so well maintained, why would they not take care of the most important pieces? I know they had a dock, but that about all I know there.

I was told the anti-fouling paint was done by the original boat dealer as it would be used in salt water and needed that to protect it.

There are 27 hours on the motor.

The upholstery does look immaculate and they had custom covers made for each piece besides the standard covers. Everything inside looked pristine. My concern was salt water and how it impacted the outside and mechanicals as I’m new to this. Visually looks great.
Anyone can tell you anything to sell you something. As we know.
I’m not sure how to check out the engine?
Visually again, looks pristine.
What do you think would be the red flags?
Thanks for the help.

jrolin1

#5 Post by jrolin1 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:42 am

Assuming the bottom paint is appropriate for an aluminum boat it is probably fine. I would find out exactly what the dealer put on it. The wrong bottom paint on aluminum is really bad and can hurt the toons. 27 hours on the motor is very little. The 115 is not known for having corrosion issues. Many last years without even being flushed. If you get it run some salt away through it. I would make sure they have the correct anodes on it. When I kept a boat in saltwater I had divers clean the bottom once a month. Bottom paint is critical in salt water. Other issues can be electrical problems but the boat is not very old so you are probably ok. I would check the connections and see if there is corrosion. A little is to be expected. A lot may be an issue.

Ashyr7

#6 Post by Ashyr7 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:10 am

Thank you.
I’ll be doing some more research.
If anyone has some other thoughts, please let me know.
Really appreciate all the advice.
Thanks again!

Rick McC.

#7 Post by Rick McC. » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:25 pm

Ashyr7 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:10 am
Thank you.
I’ll be doing some more research.
If anyone has some other thoughts, please let me know.
Really appreciate all the advice.
Thanks again!
If it runs OK on a test drive, and everything on it that you care about works; I’d buy it before someone else does.

Ours stays in the water year round, and it’s about two miles from our dock to the Gulf. 99% of our boating is in the Gulf, so I don’t have the concerns about running in salt water that the lake boat people seem to.

I’ve also been fishing, spearfishing, and boating in the salt water for over 60 years now, since I was a young boy with my Dad.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

zoom650

#8 Post by zoom650 » Sat May 09, 2020 7:40 am

Tried to think of something not mentioned above. From my 10 year salt water experience, inspect all the electrical really well for corrosion, especially the fuse panel. Hopefully they kept it sprayed with CRC to protect it. I'd want to see service records for the engine, and pay attention to the last time the impeller was replaced. My normal maintenance included replacing them each year.
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.