Pontoon Horns (again)

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Dragon1

Pontoon Horns (again)

#1 Post by Dragon1 » Tue May 05, 2020 12:03 pm

I have reviewed the previous posts regarding horns/horn placement, etc. and hoping there may be some new ideas out there. The 'buzzer' on the console of my 24' Sun Tracker is the laughing stock of my crusing group, so its time to upgrade. I have interest in air/electric trumpets, and electric 'stock' ones that traditionally sit under deck on top of pontoon (jf i cant do trumpets under the deck)
Trumpet style considerations include low tone single (wolo 845, Kleinn 6127) Traditional ones would be like the Fiamm under deck pontoon horn - 72301 23

as anyone installed trumpets 'under' the deck and if so, where did you mount ? Successes, attempts, etc ?

can anyone post pic of exact location of the 'factory' type location up front under pontoon? I have read where these dont last long - and am wondering if the issue is the horn itself or the placement.

Hoping to see some good ideas posted, and I thank you in advance for any and all input.

Thanks
'08 SunTracker PB 24
Merc 60 BF EFI, Tracker Trlr
Lake Nacimiento, Ca.

bansil

Re: Pontoon Horns (again)

#2 Post by bansil » Wed May 06, 2020 4:25 am

I mounted mine here
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

Steiner

#3 Post by Steiner » Wed May 06, 2020 5:30 am

Honestly the $10 hi/lo set from Harbor Freight is probably more than plenty and comes with the relay. Stock location on my Sweetwater was just a single tone snail type auto horn under the front right corner mounted horizontally. It did have a little piece of fine cloth or screening like pantyhose glued over the mouth probably do help deflect water. I don't think there's anything special about a "marine" horn other than the label and the price...every auto horn typically says "for auto, boat, motorcycle, etc". Most cars I've had, the horn was right behind the grill where it got hit with a lot more water in the rain than a boat horn under the front of the deck would.
https://www.harborfreight.com/automotiv ... 99911.html
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

Bamby

#4 Post by Bamby » Wed May 06, 2020 4:49 pm

There are exercises in frustration in life and any attempt to hang a horn under the deck or even on top of the toons would be a couple of them. Just wait until you experience the wall of water because you haven't or you wouldn't even be considering this. Lie down on a side gate and at speed extend your hand down into the water a inch or two and feel the power of the water against the stationary resistance of your hand. Think your plastic horn is up to the task? And that wall of water will provide far more destructive energy to destroy anything in it's path...
Respect Our Recreational Resources
Leaving Only "The Footprints of Your Passing"

Boating the Muskingum River
1972 35' Crest Pontoon Houseboat
2007 90 hp. Yamaha

Dragon1

#5 Post by Dragon1 » Wed May 27, 2020 10:05 am

Thought I would post an update. First of all, I checked out a local Bennington dealer, and found that they mount the horn directly above the pontoon,under the deck. I elected to go with the Fiamm 73123 horn. I mounted 1 on each side - directly above the splash rail, on inside. I had to run the wiring - used the 10g from the dead minn kota deckhand, and thru a solenoid. I am very pleased with the sound - they give out a nice deep tone. These horns are advertised as 'underdeck pontoon horns' and have a membrane at opening in front of grill to deflect water. Yes, time will tell if they hold up, but I think this was the right way to go. If I remember, I will post a 1 year report on how they hold up.

Cheers
'08 SunTracker PB 24
Lake Nacimiento, Ca.

TDJ2591

#6 Post by TDJ2591 » Sat May 30, 2020 7:11 pm

I can’t locate a horn on Fiamm’s site with that number. Is it a regular shaped horn or a trumpet and is it labeled by them as a marine horn?
[color=#4000FF]2005 Crest Caribbean 25'
2006 Honda 135hp 4 stroke[/color]

Dragon1

#7 Post by Dragon1 » Sun May 31, 2020 6:45 am

'08 SunTracker PB 24
Lake Nacimiento, Ca.

TDJ2591

#8 Post by TDJ2591 » Sun May 31, 2020 10:00 am

I found it now. The posted part number was missing a digit.
[color=#4000FF]2005 Crest Caribbean 25'
2006 Honda 135hp 4 stroke[/color]