Anybody use a "gas caddy"

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

guy48065

Anybody use a "gas caddy"

#1 Post by guy48065 » Fri May 08, 2020 9:32 am

I've added 2 jet skis to my floatilla and with the anticipated higher fuel use I don't think 5-gal gas cans are my best bet.
No gas on my lake so I have to haul it in from town.
A couple weeks ago when the price dropped under a dollar at Costco I saw a guy with the rear of his SUV open and he was filling several cans at one stop. He also had a gas caddy of at least 20 gals he was filling. IN the SUV. There are signs on the pumps that limit "approved fuel containers" to 6 gal max, and they need to be on the pavement for filling. The attendant walking around didn't say boo to this guy.

Before I consider one of these big tanks I'd like to know if you always get away with filling it in the vehicle--or am I going to experience hassles?
Mark
1996 Sweetwater 180EX + Johnson 40
Rush Lake, Atlanta, MI

Steiner

Re: Anybody use a "gas caddy"

#2 Post by Steiner » Fri May 08, 2020 10:30 am

The poly ones have to be filled on the ground away from the vehicle just like a regular gas can. Can't blame someone for not wanting to pick up 20 gallons of fuel to put back in the car. I mean for me it's not that big a deal but then at 30 gallons I might have to use two hands. :lol3 Might be better to just buy more 5 gallon cans.

See "To Fill Container" section.
https://www.northerntool.com/images/dow ... /48535.pdf

The hassle isn't if someone gets on you about it....the hassle is if this happens....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2UYWzARtdE

BTW, I saw an article a couple weeks back about a gas war in a little town in NY where one station went down to sixty something cents a gallon. They said once they got below 80, people were showing up with 55 gallon drums ha ha. Around here, I think the gas stations must've agreed to bottom out at around $1.25 because it stopped there but oil kept going down low enough it should've been around 80 cents a gallon or less.
Last edited by Steiner on Fri May 08, 2020 11:31 am, edited 7 times in total.
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

bansil

#3 Post by bansil » Fri May 08, 2020 10:32 am

I will say this, static electricity which was common with plastic bedliners and plastic gas cans sliding on them was real...like dead real.

A bladder/tank in an enclosed vehicle is dangerous with fumes igniting, yet I carry multiple cans to the boat.

This year I plan put a tank in my bed for a weekly fill.

Maybe a hitch carrier with say 20 gallon tank might work for you, how close can you get to boat? Me? About 10 ft
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

onlybillhere

#4 Post by onlybillhere » Fri May 08, 2020 10:39 am

I haven't used one of those but have filled up a ton of portable containers before and they always sit on the ground. i would be so worried about any static igniting the fumes.
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

Rick McC.

#5 Post by Rick McC. » Fri May 08, 2020 7:56 pm

I’ve had a 14 gallon one for 13-14 years now, and have never taken it out of the back of the truck to fill it. I also have three six gallon cans that I fill the same way.

I’ve never had any problems in using any of them that way.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.