Vinyl flooring vs woven vinyl flooring

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Oldgoat54

Vinyl flooring vs woven vinyl flooring

#1 Post by Oldgoat54 » Fri May 08, 2020 2:48 pm

We are going to replace the carpet on our pontoon boat with vinyl or woven vinyl. I had a pontoon "guy" tell me to use 80 mil and that the only difference between the 2 is that the woven is more expensive but softer and cooler on the feet and it comes in a lot of different patterns. I would appreciate any opinions on this.
Thanks!

Steiner

Re: Vinyl flooring vs woven vinyl flooring

#2 Post by Steiner » Sat May 09, 2020 9:14 am

Someone correct me but I believe the difference between the two is that:
Regular 80 mil vinyl is just that, 80 mil vinyl or 0.08" thick sheet.
80 mil woven vinyl (depending on brand) is 80 mil vinyl plus a foam or other cushioned backing and in some cases a backing itself is 0.1" to 0.15", thicker than the actual vinyl.
So, the woven is more expensive (and more comfortable) because you're not just getting single ply vinyl, you're getting a double ply and in some cases triple ply product.
Kinda like TP.
I would say that if you have a boat dealer near you that deals in fishing pontoons with plain vinyl to take a walk on both, or order some samples from some suppliers.

My last boat was Seagrass woven and they had some fishing setups with plain vinyl. No contest.
My new boat has AquaTread Premier which is considered an upgrade with 120 mil overall thickness and 75 mil polyvinyl wear layer, but the rest of it is not cushion.
I preferred the woven for feel over the AquaTread.
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

JV74

#3 Post by JV74 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:27 am

If I had to do it over again I would have installed the woven for a couple of reasons. My vinyl is all one color which is sand color and it shows every piece of dirt. It also is easy to see any bubbles or imperfections because there is no pattern to break up the field of vision where as the woven is a crazy mixed up pattern. Lastly I think the woven being a weave would lay cleaner....flatter....not bubble.....on an imperfect install better then the vinyl on an imperfect install. Yes my install was imperfect. Hint for ya.......use lots of adhesive...big puddles of it...roll it on thick and heavy!!!

Oldgoat54

#4 Post by Oldgoat54 » Tue May 12, 2020 2:38 pm

Steiner wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 9:14 am
Someone correct me but I believe the difference between the two is that:
Regular 80 mil vinyl is just that, 80 mil vinyl or 0.08" thick sheet.
80 mil woven vinyl (depending on brand) is 80 mil vinyl plus a foam or other cushioned backing and in some cases a backing itself is 0.1" to 0.15", thicker than the actual vinyl.
So, the woven is more expensive (and more comfortable) because you're not just getting single ply vinyl, you're getting a double ply and in some cases triple ply product.
Kinda like TP.
I would say that if you have a boat dealer near you that deals in fishing pontoons with plain vinyl to take a walk on both, or order some samples from some suppliers.

My last boat was Seagrass woven and they had some fishing setups with plain vinyl. No contest.
My new boat has AquaTread Premier which is considered an upgrade with 120 mil overall thickness and 75 mil polyvinyl wear layer, but the rest of it is not cushion.
I preferred the woven for feel over the AquaTread.
Thanks!

Oldgoat54

#5 Post by Oldgoat54 » Tue May 12, 2020 2:39 pm

JV74 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:27 am
If I had to do it over again I would have installed the woven for a couple of reasons. My vinyl is all one color which is sand color and it shows every piece of dirt. It also is easy to see any bubbles or imperfections because there is no pattern to break up the field of vision where as the woven is a crazy mixed up pattern. Lastly I think the woven being a weave would lay cleaner....flatter....not bubble.....on an imperfect install better then the vinyl on an imperfect install. Yes my install was imperfect. Hint for ya.......use lots of adhesive...big puddles of it...roll it on thick and heavy!!!
Thanks!