Replacing Propeller...quick question

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

billb1981

Replacing Propeller...quick question

#1 Post by billb1981 » Thu May 21, 2020 6:32 am

Hello all....

Got a question I'm sure no one has ever asked. :lol3 Hoping someone can just steer me in the right direction as I continue to search the boards.

We've got a 2015 Lowe SF214, with a 60 ELPT CT (Mercury). We've had it since it was new and the prop has got some wear and a couple of good nicks from stumps (had to be when my wife was driving right?) Anyway, the prop that is on there now is a QA2828X 10P. I didn't realize how much went into props and the variables for what you wanted to get out of it. Off the top of my head I don't remember the current RPM at WOT or top speed (think it's somewhere around 20 with a couple people and average gear.)

As I continue to start researching here and the internet, just had a couple questions. We mostly just fish and cruise around the lake, obviously the fastest I can get is great, but with a 60 I'm not expecting 28 and huge take off speed

For overall average performance:

One brand better than the others?
3 blades or 4? (Current one is 3)

I'm not real picky I'm just guessing with the chips out of my current prop its probably time to replace it. Any tips or recommendations are appreciated!

Thanks!

Bill

wwind3

Re: Replacing Propeller...quick question

#2 Post by wwind3 » Thu May 21, 2020 2:30 pm

Try to run the boat by yourself and observe the top speed and rpm's in at least 2 runs---downwind and into the wind. Find out what max rpm's are for the motor--you should be close to redline at max throttle. Does the boat have underskinning?

As far as props--another bag of worms. I run a stainless because of stumps-but my aluminum spare prop with same diameter and pitch as the SS is 1-2 mph faster---go figure.

I have a Lowe 204SS with 90 Merc Optimax. I do 27 with the SS prop and 28-29 with the aluminum at around 57-5800 rpms. And my underskinning gives me a little bow lift so I am about 1 mph faster into the wind.

Lotta fun propping out a pontoon. Oh--I run a 13x 16 pitch on both props. 3-blade for me

OH--and you go faster in the winter than summer-water is more dense-more for the prop to push against--couple yrs ago in February I hit 30 into the wind with my aluminum prop--havent tried it again

Good luck..
2009 LOWE SS204 25in logs
90 Merc Optimax
Motorguide W55 Wireless
Underskinning
28 GPS

bansil

#3 Post by bansil » Thu May 21, 2020 4:17 pm

Google prop gods for some info
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

steve1313

#4 Post by steve1313 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:37 am

wwind3 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:30 pm

OH--and you go faster in the winter than summer-water is more dense-more for the prop to push against--couple yrs ago in February I hit 30 into the wind with my aluminum prop--havent tried it again
But wouldn't the denser water also be more difficult for the pontoons to push through?? I'm not arguing with you, just curious!

I do know one thing, a boat will actually go a bit faster on water that has a little bit of chop than it will on a glass calm lake. The slight chop breaks up the natural surface tension of the water, making it easier for the boat to slide through.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

wwind3

#5 Post by wwind3 » Fri May 22, 2020 4:55 am

steve1313 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:37 am
wwind3 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:30 pm

But wouldn't the denser water also be more difficult for the pontoons to push through?? I'm not arguing with you, just curious!

I do know one thing, a boat will actually go a bit faster on water that has a little bit of chop than it will on a glass calm lake. The slight chop breaks up the natural surface tension of the water, making it easier for the boat to slide through.
Probably you are correct about the water maybe being more difficult for the toon to push thru--the effect is probably more noticeable on a bassboat that runs up on the running pad like my old boat. The effect is akin to an airplane having a longer takeoff run in summer than winter due to less dense air. I read that Phoenix airport will curtail takeoffs at temps of 117 degrees if I remember correctly. And 10-4 on the chop--esp if you have underskinning.
2009 LOWE SS204 25in logs
90 Merc Optimax
Motorguide W55 Wireless
Underskinning
28 GPS