Solo Launching

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

MikeV99

Solo Launching

#1 Post by MikeV99 » Tue May 26, 2020 2:51 pm

I would like to learn how to solo launch & load if I ever get to buy a boat. I have watched videos, but none are really for pontoons and I am a less than nimble sorta old man.

Launching -- Tie lines to bow & stern cleats, hook the around winch post, back in and hard stop to cause boat to float free (have back SUV door open for visibility), walk lines and boat to dock, tie them, and go park car & trailer, get in boat and go.

Loading -- Tie boat to dock, back trailer in to over wheels, get in boat and push off boat toward trailer, apply gentle power to move boat onto bunks (not power load), and ... :?: :?: How do I get off the front of pontoon to winch the boat the rest of the way and stay dry (me, clothes, feet)? At 78 I am not as balanced and limber as I use to be.

Thoughts from the experts please.

boocat

Re: Solo Launching

#2 Post by boocat » Tue May 26, 2020 3:17 pm

Plan on getting wet, just a fact of life. The launching part is what it is , you've got that.... Recovering, back in far enough to get the boat completely on the trailer,, drive the boat onto the trailer. ladder down the bow on the front of the trailer into calf high water, hook up,, tighten up and go.. Winching up a boat a couple of feet on the trailer when boat is not floating is a challenge.

Steiner

#3 Post by Steiner » Tue May 26, 2020 5:02 pm

Loading is easy. Launching is harder just because depending on dock setup you might need someone to catch the boat when you pull up.

Launch
Back wheels of tow vehicle just at the water line. Leave winch hooked. Shorts and sandals, unhook winch and power boat off trailer and to dock.

Load
Top third of bunks out of water. Power boat onto trailer and up to stops. Hook up winch and tighten.
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

steve1313

#4 Post by steve1313 » Tue May 26, 2020 6:25 pm

Many trailers designed for pontoons have ladders in the front (near the winch) make it easier to get on and off the boat. This will really help you when loading. You're still going to probably get your feet wet!

Here's an example.
trailer.JPG
trailer.JPG (23.46 KiB) Viewed 1454 times
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia