Bennington or Manitou - how to choose

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

pmackay

Bennington or Manitou - how to choose

#1 Post by pmackay » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:57 pm

We’re currently comparing these boats from the same dealer. We plan fishing and cruising on a big prairie lake; no towing. Just the two of us and our 2 dogs. Sometimes company when they’re out. All Evinrude motors.

To build:
- 2020 Bennington 22SSXAPGP with an ESP upgrade (150 hp)
- 2020 Manitou 22 ENCORE PRO ANGLER FULL FRONT SHP 575 (150 hp)

Or this one on the lot, ready to go:
- 2019 Manitou Oasis Angler 22 Full Front VP (130 HO)

We're wondering if the power assist steering, additional strakes and other benefits are worth it. Thoughts/insights?

jediger

Re: Bennington or Manitou - how to choose

#2 Post by jediger » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:25 pm

Both are excellent brands. There's a difference between the VP and SHP hulls on the manitou but I've heard differing opinions on whether that difference was worth the $$$ differential. A good test drive of the two hulls would help you decide. Doesn't need to have the furniture you want. Just needs to give you a sense of how the boats ride before buying/building.

If you decide to build to order, see if the will extend the middle toon to give you a full swim platform with no cutout. Love mine!

I really like my Evinrude but be aware that they recently announced they are getting out of the outboard engine business and this could effect resale. I would bargain HARD as a result.

J
Pinawa Bay, Manitoba
2014 Premier Cast-a-way 231, PTX; 2014 Evinrude 250HO ETEC

Liquid Asset

#3 Post by Liquid Asset » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:05 pm

The Bennington has an Evinrude on it? I test drove every hull in there line up when narrowing down our current boat purchase. It was a event at the dealership with reps from both Bennington and Yamaha. They said there was an exclusive deal with Yamaha and that's what was available. I wonder if that's just in my market?
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

rbtnt

#4 Post by rbtnt » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:44 pm

I was looking at 23 & 25 Manitous and 23 Benningtons before buying a 23SSRXP Bennington with a Mercury earlier this year. Most of the Manitous I looked at had Evinrudes and the Benningtons had Yamahas or Mercurys. On the models I was looking at, the Bennington had a lot more storage under the seats and the hinges on the seatbacks did not interfere with accessing the storage like the Manitou. There was a lot more floor space within the rails on the Bennington model I was interested in. The Bennington has a 10 year warranty from bow to stern that includes everything except the motor.
I think both of them are well built boats.
2020 Bennington 23 SSRXP Mercury 250 Pro XS
www.mtboats.com - Links to all types of powerboat resources

Steiner

#5 Post by Steiner » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:51 am

Liquid Asset wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:05 pm
The Bennington has an Evinrude on it?
Just noticed he's in Can-NAH-dah. Who used to say it like that? Dan Akroyd maybe? I know they're the home of BRP but pmackay...you know Evinrude outboards are dead now, right?
https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2020 ... nufactured

That would be a deal breaker from me. The place I got my boat from last year was in the middle of dropping Evinrude just because BRP was so hard to deal with for service and warranty stuff...and that was a year ago when there was no indication Evinrude was going anywhere. They said it all started going downhill when BRP got them. Sure BRP said they're going to stand behind them for 12 years with parts and warranty, but given how they were acting previously that may just mean yeah you can get your parts....might take three our four months, but you'll get them. Sorry, that may just be my own corporate distrust talking but still....

I wouldn't think the SHP would be worth the upgrade at only 150hp. Better to spend that money on motor. Extra strakes other than what comes with it either. Personally power steering would not be worth it for me but some love it. Hydraulic non assist is pretty standard on anything over 90hp and if you've driven cable drive that itself is a huge upgrade. The V hull stuff is cool but if you are wanting to cruise and fish.....why spend the money on cool stuff that is mainly meant to make it handle? A good tritoon handles and rides great to me compared to a pontoon.

Then again....if you gots the money and you just want it, don't let anything stop you!
That's right out of the rules of my "**** yo grandkids" Savings Plan!
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

steve1313

#6 Post by steve1313 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:05 am

Liquid Asset wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:05 pm
The Bennington has an Evinrude on it? I test drove every hull in there line up when narrowing down our current boat purchase. It was a event at the dealership with reps from both Bennington and Yamaha. They said there was an exclusive deal with Yamaha and that's what was available. I wonder if that's just in my market?
Some dealers buy the boat without a motor and then the motor separately and rig the boat themselves instead of buying it all from the boat manufacturer. As Liquid Asset said, BRP (Evinrude parent co) has announced they are getting out of the outboard business.

Also remember that the Evinrude's are 2 stroke motors and Yamaha and everybody else are 4 strokes. The 2 strokes have a bit more torque and a slightly lesser maintenance schedule. The trade-off is they are louder and require a separate oil tank so the motor can mix the oil with the gas.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

pmackay

#7 Post by pmackay » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:17 pm

As with my other question in our search for our first pontoon, thanks everyone for your thoughts. It sounds like the only thing at risk here is a lost season if we need to order a boat to suit us. So, off we go to see the one the dealer has and we'll go from there. Yes, in Alberta, the sole dealer of Manitou and Bennington has Evinrude on their boats. I did some digging around and it appears that BRP and Mercury are going to work together on some future technology in the motors. Who knows if that's just dealer smoke or a fact. I guess we'll figure it out later.

Puto

#8 Post by Puto » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:26 am

FWIW, BRP also owns Can-Am sideBysides and Sea Doo PWCs.

Steiner

#9 Post by Steiner » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:55 pm

pmackay wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:17 pm
I did some digging around and it appears that BRP and Mercury are going to work together on some future technology in the motors. Who knows if that's just dealer smoke or a fact. I guess we'll figure it out later.
They're just going to outfit their boat brands Alumacraft and Manitou with Mercury outboards going forward.
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

ROLAND

#10 Post by ROLAND » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:27 am

As others have stated, both are very good brands. As to which is the best, I can't tell you that. I can tell you that I have a 10 year old Bennington.. Bought it new prior to the 2010 boating season.. not a high end model either, basically one of Benningtons " value " models. In ten years I have only experienced one issue, and that wasn't with the boat itself. The trim motor went out and had to be rebuilt.. My little benny and the yamaha that came with it have performed admirably for us.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

zoom650

#11 Post by zoom650 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:02 pm

My choice came down to a Harris or Benny. Harris had a dealer in all 3 locations I was boating, so that helped make my choice. I hope you do a wet test drive to decide on your hull type. I'd give a yes to get strakes. One option I do not regret adding is the assisted power steering. No kidding, it's nice. (150 Verado).
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.

steve1313

#12 Post by steve1313 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:59 am

zoom650 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:02 pm
My choice came down to a Harris or Benny. Harris had a dealer in all 3 locations I was boating, so that helped make my choice. I hope you do a wet test drive to decide on your hull type. I'd give a yes to get strakes. One option I do not regret adding is the assisted power steering. No kidding, it's nice. (150 Verado).
I'll agree with the power assisted steering! Most manufacturers recommend it for greater than 150 HP, so you don't often see it on the 150s. I knew I wanted it but didn't say a word about it until my dealer and I had "agreed" on the price and he was ready for me to sign on the dotted line. I said I'll sign if you add the power assist, and he did. It's a nice $2k upgrade that makes one finger steering a breeze, especially at slow speeds.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

bansil

#13 Post by bansil » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:22 am

Steiner wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:55 pm
pmackay wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:17 pm
I did some digging around and it appears that BRP and Mercury are going to work together on some future technology in the motors. Who knows if that's just dealer smoke or a fact. I guess we'll figure it out later.
They're just going to outfit their boat brands Alumacraft and Manitou with Mercury outboards going forward.
my .02

NO on Evinrude period!

That won't help you if the engine breaks, they say they will honor all warranty and parts will never be an issue https://www.evinrude.com/en-US/support/ ... tions.html (I don't believe that) and resale would suck.

Why do all the boats have Evinrudes? Is it a Canada thing? Are all dealers like that where you live? No Suzuki, Mercury or Yamaha? Def. get a 4 stroke if possible
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com