Has anyone gone from a high performance boat deep V to a pontoon?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ZeroG

Has anyone gone from a high performance boat deep V to a pontoon?

#1 Post by ZeroG » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:54 pm

I'm considering doing just that and hoping for insights.
For the past 20+ years I've run a Baja and currently a 288 Sunsation MCOB (mid cabin open bow). Love these boats but taking in and out of water every weekend is getting old. Still love cruising so hoping to get a 24 or 25 ft tritoon with a 200 or 300hp on it. Shocked at the prices I'm seeing. Wow. Plus ...I've never riden on a tritoon. How do they handle?

I see some on the Ohio River where I boat and they appear to move along pretty good. But I've no clue how they cut the waves or take turns. Any tips for a newbie pontoon shopper? Thanks.

Liquid Asset

Re: Has anyone gone from a high performance boat deep V to a pontoon?

#2 Post by Liquid Asset » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:59 pm

With a 250-300 HP outboard you'll be pleased. My brother has a 26' powerquest and is impressed by a tritoon. My boat is only powered by a 175 but I had a loaner last year with a 300 verado. It took a 27' pontoon to 50 mph !!!

The sunsation factory is only an hour away, those guys build some sweet boats. I believe their boats are all center console now though. That said if you get a test ride in a high hp tritoon you'll be impressed!
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

wwind3

#3 Post by wwind3 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:42 am

A 25 ft toon might be a challenge to tow--wind is not your friend.. Unloading and loading at the ramp can be tricky too. Dont try to save money on the trailer-the trailer will be your best friend. Check with some folks in here that have the big toons.

I have a 20 ft and had to alter my guide rails at the back of the trailer to help stab it easier when loading..I also put a mark on the front fence right above the trailer boards to help sight it in better--helped a lot--piece of tape or permanent marker.
2009 LOWE SS204 25in logs
90 Merc Optimax
Motorguide W55 Wireless
Underskinning
28 GPS

steve1313

#4 Post by steve1313 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:59 am

Obviously there's a huge difference between what you have now and a pontoon/tritoon. But, these boats can be a ton of fun. I have a 23' tritoon with a Yamaha 150. Tops out right at 40 mph. I wish it was a little faster, but that's OK. I came from a 20 ft SeaRay V hull that would do about 47 mph. I wish that boat went faster, too, but in the grand scheme of things 40 on my tritoon is fast enough.

As far as handling goes. I swear my current boat turns sharper and quicker than my V hull did. I have power assisted hydraulic steering, so I can quickly and easily turn. If I'm going at anything above about 25 mph, I can throw everybody out of their seats with a quick turn. As far as handling waves and chop, you'll be amazed at how tritoons cut through and go right over the type of conditions that cause a pounding in a V hull.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

bradm

#5 Post by bradm » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:28 pm

Have done performance boats in past. Good friend had 35 and up Fountain, Hustled, Donzi, etc. Even had a 36 Nortec Cart. Wrenched on and ran them all. He traded boats a lot lol.

Now i have a 25 Manitou with the 350 Suzuki which has duoprop. The holeshot is great and boat will run 50ish. We have a heavy boat with Sport Arch and lots of fiberglass so it looks nice.

Miss the rumble of a big block but trade-off is user friendly space and convenience. More comfortable and usable space than any of big go fasts.
Good ride on Lake and River. Makes tritoon excellent option.

If I hit the lottery and money and time were no object I'd have a performance v hull for a toy. But would probably use the toon more.

Toons are not for everyone but are my choice. My buddy who had all the go fast boats has a twin engine Manitou now.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Brad M.
2019 Manitou Legacy with 350 Suzuki
2016 South Bay 523 Arch. 250 Suzuki SS (sold)

ZeroG

#6 Post by ZeroG » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:32 pm

Great info guys. Thanks.
I normally cruise at 30 to 35, that is a comfortable speed and fast enough but is sure is nice to have all that throttle to push down when the urge hits you. I know I would love a 25 to 27 tritoon with a 350 but then I looked at the price of those puppies. 98k was a discount price. LOL Not gonna happen.

I prefer to buy nearly new if possible but not knowing these boats I will have to visit some dealers of new ones to find out what I prefer before I know what to look for. I want to do a lot of that before selling my sunsation ..but I have a person interested now. If they want to buy I will be in hurry up mode to get er done. This forum helps a lot for educating new pontoon buyers. Thanks all.