Optimal Charging Configuration

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

MikeV99

Optimal Charging Configuration

#1 Post by MikeV99 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:35 pm

What do I need on a small pontoon to:

1. Charge my main battery and trolling motor battery with an onboard charger connected to a plug on my dock?

and

2. Charge my main battery and trolling motor battery from the generator on a Merc 50 HP?

Is it worth the cost to try to charge the trolling motor battery from the outboard motor generator? The Blue Sea kit is around $240 plus the cables and stuff needed? I am leaning toward solving Item 1 and not worrying about Item 2.

Thank you.

Mike

steve1313

Re: Optimal Charging Configuration

#2 Post by steve1313 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:38 am

I'm assuming your current configuration has your main battery hooked up to start your motor and power your onboard electric accessories, and your trolling motor batteries aren't connected to anything but the trolling motor. In this config the main battery gets charged from the boat's "generator" (really an alternator).

If that's the case, just add a two bank battery charger. It will certainly charge your trolling battery, and it will also "top off" your main battery if it needs to. This is what I use on my boat and it works great. It's very easy to wire, too. Just take the two sets of leads from the charger connect one set to each battery. Nothing else to do.
https://www.promariner.com/en/43020
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

MikeV99

#3 Post by MikeV99 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:49 am

Perfect. I had gotten caught up in Blue Sea hook up and then realized it was over think. I appreciate your advice. Happy boating.

Mike

boocat

#4 Post by boocat » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:39 am

steve1313 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:38 am
I'm assuming your current configuration has your main battery hooked up to start your motor and power your onboard electric accessories, and your trolling motor batteries aren't connected to anything but the trolling motor. In this config the main battery gets charged from the boat's "generator" (really an alternator).

If that's the case, just add a two bank battery charger. It will certainly charge your trolling battery, and it will also "top off" your main battery if it needs to. This is what I use on my boat and it works great. It's very easy to wire, too. Just take the two sets of leads from the charger connect one set to each battery. Nothing else to do.
https://www.promariner.com/en/43020
Yep ^^ What Steve says. No way the little alternator will charge the two batts much, especially if the deep cycle batt has been used much. And to save a few bucks you might consider the promariner 12 2 bank. Mine does just fine on an overnight charge on my 2 group 27 troll batteries.

TheWhisker

#5 Post by TheWhisker » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:33 am

One of the things I was missing on my pontoon before I did the rebuild was an onboard charging system. I had to drag out multiple chargers and manually connect them each time I needed to charge the batts after a day out. Got really old really fast.

I installed a separate Battery Tender in the seat base where my trolling motor batteries are for each battery (one 12v for each main battery, one 24v for the trolling motor batteries). All I need to do now is just plug into the dock and that's it. I love it and am very glad I have that now. Pardon the lack of cable management...

2007 Suncatcher 208C, Yamaha F90 fully rebuilt as a fishing vessel
1996 Ford E-350 conversion van, 460 w/4.10 Dana rear (the tow vehicle)