latest trailer debacle...and this happened

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Steiner

Re: latest trailer debacle...and this happened

#16 Post by Steiner » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:29 am

The tire/wheel supplier offered a check for retail value of the four tires plus my damaged fender which came to a whopping $207.  I took it.  I also filed a complaint with the NHTSA for the tires (there was actually a link on the trailer manufacturer's webpage) and would encourage anyone who experiences similar with any item to do the same.  
http://hltlimitedtrailers.com/wp-conten ... EFECTS.pdf

Found out why I hadn't heard back from the trailer company......
https://boatingindustry.com/news/2020/0 ... re-damage/
They did say they are no longer using Tredit to supply tires and offered four new TexTrail that they use now. Only thing is unless I'm missing something, TexTrail doesn't even make an E range 1520lb 12" tire and even their 13" tires only go to 1360lb so either they are derating their new trailers or have gone to 14" tires on them to keep previous capacity (5530lb in my case). Told them thanks but I'd already installed four Carlisle HD's and for now would have to settle for carrying two spares and a prayer.

Here's the inside of the tire from the pic that was an inch taller than the others. Same date code as the one that had the tread separation but different mold number.

2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

fiddlebick

#17 Post by fiddlebick » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:00 am

Good checklist of tools. Every year I learn more so that boating involves good planning for trouble.
"I may be old....but I am slow!" 2005 Bennington Rfs, 2004 Honda 135.

ROLAND

#18 Post by ROLAND » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:27 am

Sorry about your tire.. I had basically the same thing happen to me several years back.. tooling down the highway around 55 mph and heard a loud bang and then felt the back end of the rig pulling hard to the right. Got off on the shoulder and discovered I had a blow out on the trailer. Off hand can't remember the brand of tire that was on there, but when I replaced them I went with Loadstar ( a load D ) tires. So far so good.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

Bamaman

#19 Post by Bamaman » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:19 pm

I was at Rural King farm store Wednesday, and they had white spoke wheels and new 13" tires mounted for $85. But the tires are China Bonbs.

I think the only high quality 13" tire on the market is a Maxxis M8008. Carlisle and other tires are all China Bombs.

Last time I had an axle problem, I ordered a new axle with hubs online for something like $200. Took me 1/2 hour to replace it with an impact wrench, jack stands and a floor jack.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150