Mercury question.. alarm issue

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

jadams

Mercury question.. alarm issue

#1 Post by jadams » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:48 am

Hello everyone,
New to the sight so thanks for having me. I have a 2012 Bentley with a 90hp EFI Merc four stroke. Here's the low down on an issue I'm having. The guardian alarm goes off sometimes shutting down the motor. The alarm is the 3 to 5 sec straight alarm, not the short beeps. After unwinterizing the motor (lower unit oil change, fresh fuel, hooking up battery), the motor started and ran great as it has every year. Cleaned the toon up and went to the lake a week later. Started up at the dock, was slowly leaving the no wake zone when the alarm went off for 3-5 secs. I backed the throttle to nuetral and after a few seconds the motor shut off and would not start. Got towed back to the dock, put the boat on the trailer, started the motor and it ran. Went home and viewed the Mercury guardian alarm codes and found that (3) things cause the long beep. 1. Oil level. I went right out and changed the oil and filter. It was done last season and I put about 30hrs on the boat, but did it anyway. 2. Overheating. Ran the motor with muffs again and had a water stream, but thought maybe is was getting weak under load. Did an impeller change last weekend, great water flow. 3. Low voltage. Re-charged the battery. 12.7 reading of the battery alone, 13.7 battery reading when hooked up to the boat and running.

Went back to the lake. Ran up and down with no issues or alarms. Sat at a cove for about 2hrs for lunch with radio on. Let cove, alarm came on, motor shut off. Waited for 15mins, re-started the motor, ran and went back to the dock. One thing I noticed was the RPM guage was bouncing around after it re-started, but the motors RPM's were steady and not bouncing. I'm pretty mechanical for working on motors, but don't know where to start now. I don't trust taking it out with the issue being intermittent. Any help is appreciated, marina can't see me until Aug 17th :(

Reiner

Re: Mercury question.. alarm issue

#2 Post by Reiner » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:05 pm

Have you checked the thermostat? I had a weird problem while flushing the engine and had a real weak stream coming from the tell-tale. After searching the net and looking for a blockage someone mentioned the thermostat. I changed it and all was well again.
Not sure if this helps but??
Good luck
2015 Lowe SS 210 RFL XL Package 150 HP Merc
"The Nina" or "The Bismarck" my buddy's call it!
2011 Tundra

Liquid Asset

#3 Post by Liquid Asset » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:27 pm

Get the vessel view mobile module and you'll know everything about your motor. No guessing on the code anymore!
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

bansil

#4 Post by bansil » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:20 am

Have you cleaned battery connections?

Also how old is battery? Reason I ask is all the alarms need a "pattern" to turn on and only one I see is battery. 1st time out engine started but then alarm...no start wait a few and it restarted.
You then charged battery, ran great used radio for 2 hrs and then an issue showed up.
Don't charge battery any more, remove and take it to be load tested, also will give you a chance to clean terminals.

Also check terminal on starter/relay

Welcome :beer2
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com