Seat covers

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

DocPit

Seat covers

#1 Post by DocPit » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:11 am

In May, I took delivery of a Bennington 20 SLL. I have not been using the mooring cover because I use the boat almost every day. I did apply 303 Aerospace Protectant to the vinyl upholstery as soon as I got the boat, believing that if I applied protectant once a month that would greatly reduce any sun damage to the upholstery. I live in SC, where the sun is strong and hot. Although the boat is not yet 3 months old, I am already seeing what appears to be fading or oxidation on the vinyl upholstery. (See pic.) Applying 303 Aerospace Cleaner will not remove it. Yes, I do plan to get seat covers immediately. Meanwhile, is there is any restorative solution that might restore the faded color?

Also, I believe Puffin makes the seat covers for Bennington. $1750 for my 20SLL. Is Puffin my best bet?

Thanks.
FadedBoatSeat.JPG
FadedBoatSeat.JPG (205.31 KiB) Viewed 3240 times

Steiner

Re: Seat covers

#2 Post by Steiner » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:58 am

303 is only a protectant so it won't clean anything off. Also a little goes a long way, too much and it'll streak and it will not air dry. It has to be applied and then buffed dry with a dry cloth for best results. Might be wrong but that looks like someone slid around on that seat with sunscreen on the back of their legs. Sunscreen is great for skin but terrible for vinyl....many a boat seat has been ruined by it. Star Brite Ultimate Vinyl Clean works really well as an actual cleaner and Walmart carries it.
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

DocPit

#3 Post by DocPit » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:22 pm

Actually, 303 puts out a protectant and also a cleaner. No, there was no one other than myself on the boat. No suntan lotion. When I go out, usually in the early morning, I find a lot of condensation on the seats. Possibly, when the sun comes out, that water acts almost as a magnifying glass and causes fading. That's just a guess.

steve1313

#4 Post by steve1313 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:39 am

The very specific area where you're seeing the issue makes me think that either Steiner's sunscreen theory is correct, or there was something in/on the vinyl during the manufacturing process. I'd reach out to your dealer ASAP and ask them to replace or repair the seat. Is that the only place you're seeing it? It's just too localized for it to be fading, etc.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

DocPit

#5 Post by DocPit » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:20 am

First, many thanks for your responses. Much appreciated.

Second: Yesterday morning is when I noticed the stain/fading. I applied 303 Cleaner, but it did not seem to have any effect. This morning, I went to the boat and, much to my delight, the stain was gone. Apparently, the 303 Cleaner works like some carpet stain removers do. They need some time.

I'm definitely going to purchase seat covers. I mentioned that Puffin makes seat covers for Bennington. There are also some local upholsterers who come with good recommendations. I'm on the fence as to whether marine covers have special requirements that a local craftsman might not recognize. I have to figure that out. If anyone has had experiences with local upholsterers, please let me know. Thanks.

sunedog

#6 Post by sunedog » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:07 am

DocPit wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:20 am
First, many thanks for your responses. Much appreciated.

Second: Yesterday morning is when I noticed the stain/fading. I applied 303 Cleaner, but it did not seem to have any effect. This morning, I went to the boat and, much to my delight, the stain was gone. Apparently, the 303 Cleaner works like some carpet stain removers do. They need some time.

I'm definitely going to purchase seat covers. I mentioned that Puffin makes seat covers for Bennington. There are also some local upholsterers who come with good recommendations. I'm on the fence as to whether marine covers have special requirements that a local craftsman might not recognize. I have to figure that out. If anyone has had experiences with local upholsterers, please let me know. Thanks.
What part of SC are you in?

BobL

#7 Post by BobL » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:33 am

DocPit wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:20 am
This morning, I went to the boat and, much to my delight, the stain was gone.
If it sat out in the sun yesterday, it is very possible the sun cleared up the stain. Many stains go away after sitting in the sun. When I apply 303, I wash the vinyl with a very mild soap in the morning, let the sun do its' thing then put 303 on in the afternoon.

Keep an eye on it and if it keeps coming back then send pics to your dealer and if they don't respond, send to Bennington. The reason I suggest sending to Bennington (if the dealer does not respond) is I went to a dealership that was prepping a new boat for a customer and one of the guys was going at the seats with Magic Eraser (which will destroy the vinyl).
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury