Where do you mount your rear view mirrors?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ZeroG

Where do you mount your rear view mirrors?

#1 Post by ZeroG » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:16 pm

I'm surprised the Manitou I'm in the process of purchasing has no easy place to place a rear view mirror.

When the bimini is up I guess I could mount one on that pole but when I close it up there goes my mirror.

To me a mirror is important to see what is happening behind you, both on the boat and with on coming traffic.

Do you guys use a mirror?

ROLAND

Re: Where do you mount your rear view mirrors?

#2 Post by ROLAND » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:29 am

over the years, I've bought a couple of different mirrors, and wasn't crazy about either of them. Like you said, with the bimini open, no problem but everytime I get ready to trailer the boat ( which is EVERY time ) I have to close the bimini so I have to remove the mirror. I did see one a few years back that looked like a really good set up, but it was a couple of hundred bucks or something outrageous, so I passed... so right now, I don't have a mirror.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

bigi

#3 Post by bigi » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:02 am

I bought one meant for a bicycle that mounts with a velcro. Not the best but quick on-off.

steve1313

#4 Post by steve1313 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:22 am

I'm struggling with the same issue. I bought this mirror and thought it would be perfect.
mirror 1.JPG
mirror 1.JPG (19.75 KiB) Viewed 7278 times
The problem was what I got wasn't like the picture. The arm was basically straight instead of having the 90 degree bend. I want something that ends up inside the width of the boat, not hanging over the side because I'd have to remove it every time I came into my slip because I only have about 3 inches of clearance from the side of the boat to the lift cables.

I also tried this mirror, which would work fine except I can't find a flat enough surface on my helm to mount it. The search continues!
mirror2.JPG
mirror2.JPG (42.27 KiB) Viewed 7278 times
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

TWB

#5 Post by TWB » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:39 am

I guess I'm a bit different. I have never had or used a mirror, so I just take a bit of a turn in my chair and glance back periodically. It's not even a conscious thought. I suppose anyone coming up behind me has to make the adjustment anyway, so let them move if I don't see them first.

:2cents
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

Marc K

#6 Post by Marc K » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:21 pm

I have never felt the need for a mirror on my pontoon boat. I also developed the same habit of being aware of what is happening 360 degrees around me. I always look behind me before changing course anyway because of the occasional fast boat/Waverunner/Seadoos. We tow the tube a lot which means I always have multiple spotters, with one at a time being the designated person.

If I boated around a lot of traffic density, I would likely sing a very different tune!
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

steve1313

#7 Post by steve1313 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:21 pm

TWB wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:39 am
I guess I'm a bit different. I have never had or used a mirror, so I just take a bit of a turn in my chair and glance back periodically. It's not even a conscious thought. I suppose anyone coming up behind me has to make the adjustment anyway, so let them move if I don't see them first.

:2cents
I've generally felt the same way and I always keep my head on a swivel. It just seems like on some weekend days there is a ton of traffic (lots of jet skis/waverunners) that seem to appear from almost nowhere. Yesterday I counted 9 of them within a hundred yards of my boat. We have a few relatively narrow twist and turns on part of the lake. If I can find the right mirror with the right mounting platform, I'm going to add it as an extra level of safety.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

ZeroG

#8 Post by ZeroG » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:06 pm

This is my first pontoon. I've had multiple V bottom boats and always had mirrors to see what was coming up from behind or what the passengers might be up to. If a hat flys off and they jump up or do something stew pid I want to know as soon as possible. I'm old and my neck is not as limber as it once was so turning, while possible, is not quick as I would like it. Plus, my captains chair does swivel, so I'm sure I can survive without a mirror if needbe. I'm simply used to always having one and was surprised there was no easy mount point for a pontoon mirror.

If someone does find something that works for them please post a pic or two.

onlybillhere

#9 Post by onlybillhere » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:24 pm

I bought this one. I have a round, flat plastic plate if you will that had 3M tape on the bottom from a 3" screen I bought. I stuck it to my helm and this just suction cups to the plate. works great but I normally turn around anyway...can't be too careful.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DL ... UTF8&psc=1
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

Horsepen

#10 Post by Horsepen » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:31 pm

OBH, I bought the same one but w/o the stick-on base. I just use the suction cup to mount. It is slightly convex so the field of view is a bit wider than usual. It is also tinted. Works pretty well for me.

ZeroG

#11 Post by ZeroG » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:28 am

LOL Great minds think alike. I got our pontoon home and out for first rides this past weekend. I found a couple flat spots and tried the suction mirror I had used on previous boats. It worked okay. It's not in the way of the cover and it gives me a glimpse of what is happening behind me. :D

Thanks for all replies.
Attachments
Pontoon5mirror.jpg
Pontoon5mirror.jpg (63.8 KiB) Viewed 7174 times

onlybillhere

#12 Post by onlybillhere » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:06 am

looks good...not in the way but enough to see some of what's behind you.
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

TDJ2591

#13 Post by TDJ2591 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:56 am

I have the CIPA like Is shown in the first pic posted above by Steve. It’s mounted on the rail on the right side of my console and rotates and folds down for storage. Mine does have the long L arm as shown in the photo but they do sell a cheaper model without that arm. I wouldn’t operate a boat on our busy lake without a mirror such as this, especially when towing the water toys. It has a large mirror head and covers a large area behind the boat. It’s a valuable safety device in my opinion.

Another popular, well-made model is the PTMEdge. I really liked it but it was way too expensive for my tastes.
[color=#4000FF]2005 Crest Caribbean 25'
2006 Honda 135hp 4 stroke[/color]

Marc K

#14 Post by Marc K » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:12 pm

TDJ2591 wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:56 am
I have the CIPA like Is shown in the first pic posted above by Steve. It’s mounted on the rail on the right side of my console and rotates and folds down for storage. Mine does have the long L arm as shown in the photo but they do sell a cheaper model without that arm. I wouldn’t operate a boat on our busy lake without a mirror such as this, especially when towing the water toys. It has a large mirror head and covers a large area behind the boat. It’s a valuable safety device in my opinion.

Another popular, well-made model is the PTMEdge. I really liked it but it was way too expensive for my tastes.
Could you please post a picture to help envision the setup?

Thanks!
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

Bilboinsa

#15 Post by Bilboinsa » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:27 pm

I use this Cipa model that secures to the “A“ pillar of my bimini frame. I hardly ever take that aft top down, as we keep our boat in a covered slip. If I ever do take it down, i.e. for meteor viewing tonight, the mirror screws off with no problem.
https://smile.amazon.com/CIPA-02000-Uni ... B0009PSA4O