DIY SKI - TOW bar INSTALL

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

jsoncarl

DIY SKI - TOW bar INSTALL

#1 Post by jsoncarl » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:03 pm

Hi all. I purchased a tow bar for my 2014 Crest II C4. Before I install, I'd like to hear from someone who has personally installed one before. Believe it or not, YouTube is just not that helpful on this topic :lol3 . My main concern is that there is a 3" empty space between the wood swim deck and a secondary layer of heavy gauge aluminum. Access between the layers to insert some kind of spacer collar is impossible. I don't like the idea of bolting this thing on without a spacer in between. Any thoughts? I'd love to see a pic of how others bolted their tow bars on.

Thanks,

JC

Marc K

Re: DIY SKI - TOW bar INSTALL

#2 Post by Marc K » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:39 pm

You asked for comments who have done what you are asking and I have NOT, but:

I will caution you to check with the manufacturer(s) about the rating of the tow bar - for the intended use. Pontooning kind of implies tubing and a multiperson tube can exceed the capacity of a tow bar designed for water-skiers and small tubes. Pulling a skier is a different story, so ignore me if that is what you are doing.

We regularly tow 3-4 people on a large couch style tube with my 25' boat and I am amazed at how much I can feel the weight trying to shift the stern when throwing the tube with 500-600 lbs, on it into a good fast slide outside of the wake. And that's only at only 25 MPH forward speed.

Marc
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

jsoncarl

#3 Post by jsoncarl » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:51 pm

Thanks Marc. Definitely something to consider. Primarily, my 9YO has just learned to slalom. Given his height, the rope can still get engulfed in the wake, affecting his ability to stay up. Secondly, even with the Y-harness connected to each pontoon, I find that prop/rope interference can still be an issue. I need to get it out of the water and over the outboard.

Marc K

#4 Post by Marc K » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:25 pm

That makes sense. Hopefully, someone with hands-on experience will chime in.

Marc
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

steve1313

#5 Post by steve1313 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:30 am

There are several tubing and tow bar threads here. Do a search and you'll get plenty of info.

Like Mark said, if you have the typical tow bar that looks like this, it's NOT meant to tow tubes.
towbar.JPG
towbar.JPG (12.86 KiB) Viewed 4287 times
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

MattGent

#6 Post by MattGent » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:13 am

Can you post pictures or a diagram of the arrangement?

It really wants to be thru bolted to a cross-member, or at least some huge backing plates. Not to any under-skinning.

jsoncarl

#7 Post by jsoncarl » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:17 am

Thanks Matt,

Here is the link to the tower I purchased. I agree that I'd like to be through a cross-member, but accessibility is the issue

https://www.originwakeboard.com/Installation-Guide/1042

Steiner

#8 Post by Steiner » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:22 pm

Sorry but my old boat with factory ski/tow bar similar to that is gone so I can't post a pic. I did find an old one and zoomed in but mine was made for the boat so the rear feet attached to the fuel pod/transom but the fronts just went through the floor (no underskinning on that one). I'm sure yours just mounts to the floor using thru bolts and fender washers, or an under plate if it comes with one. As mentioned, NOT for tubing and the website for the one you purchased also states that.

You're just gonna have to possibly drill out a few rivets and pry down the aluminum underskinnig a little so you can use some aviation shears or tin snips to cut out two access points to get the hardware on. It'll hurt I know, but you'll get over it when the kid is having a good time.

2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

sunedog

#9 Post by sunedog » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:37 am

You probably already know this, but the bar you bought is designed for skiing only. Says in the description it is not to be used for tubes.

I added a tow bar designed for another manufacturer's boat to my former Bennington. Like Steiner, I drilled through the heavy gauge aluminum of the motor pod. I backed mine with a heavy piece of steel. I believe it was 3/16" plate.