Bass Buggy 18 - where to place on-board charger?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

bwallis59

Bass Buggy 18 - where to place on-board charger?

#1 Post by bwallis59 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:26 am

Hello - I have a Bass Buggy 18 (2016). I am putting a Terrova 80lb. With 2 Group 27 under the console, I'm not sure there is room for the charger (ProSport 20Plus 3 Bank). I was wondering if there are other creative places to mount the charger? I'm not absolutely sure I cannot get it all in the console, but it is definately going to be extremely tight. Or for that matter... are there other locations to put the batteries? I'm hoping there are others who have solved this problem already! Thanks in advance...

boocat

Re: Bass Buggy 18 - where to place on-board charger?

#2 Post by boocat » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:15 am

I basically did the same thing with a Minn Kota 68 pontoon power drive. I went with a single pro sport for the starting batt and put it in with the starting battery. I put a pro sport 12- 2 bank under the helm with one of the group 27s and put the other battery under the port lounge. Just guessing, I would think you could stuff the 3 bank under the helm (maybe) and certainly under the lounge but it will take up valuable space. Then to charge I just connect the 2 chargers to one extension cord with one of those 3 way adapters. Works well. And keep from having to buy expensive wire from the hardware store to wire the batts together I just got a cheap set of walmart jumper cables and took the clamps off. Not sure you could put all 3 under the console, could put just the charger under the lounge. Prosport has pre made extension wires.
Last edited by boocat on Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

boocat

#3 Post by boocat » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:19 am

amazing how maneuverable my boat is with that troll motor.

bwallis59

#4 Post by bwallis59 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:30 am

boocat wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:15 am
I basically did the same thing with a Minn Kota 68 pontoon power drive. I went with a single pro sport for the starting batt and put it in with the starting battery. I put a pro sport 12- 2 bank under the helm with one of the group 27s and put the other battery under the port lounge. Just guessing, I would think you could stuff the 3 bank under the helm (maybe) and certainly under the lounge but it will take up valuable space. Then to charge I just connect the 2 chargers to one extension cord with one of those 3 way adapters. Works well. And keep from having to buy expensive wire from the hardware store to wire the batts together I just got a cheap set of walmart jumper cables and took the clamps off. Not sure you could put all 3 under the console, could put just the charger under the lounge. Prosport has pre made extension wires.
Awesome .... any chance of getting a pic or two???

bwallis59

#5 Post by bwallis59 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:32 am

boocat wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:19 am
amazing how maneuverable my boat is with that troll motor.
Good to hear! Gonna troll!

boocat

#6 Post by boocat » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:17 am

really nothing much pic worthy, really didn't mount anything in a very pretty way. Just crammed it in there.

boocat

#7 Post by boocat » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:21 am

I would think you will be putting either one of the batteries or the charger under the lounge seat and wire appropriately. I assume you already know about the 24v wiring.

boocat

#8 Post by boocat » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:29 am

I did put the port battery in a shallow battery tray held in place with a couple screws to the deck. Left the top off , wont really fit on anyway. The top of the battery is so close to the underside of the lounge seat that the once in, the battery can't tilt or tip. Drilled a hole in the deck and ran all the wires underneath and came back up in to the helm.