First Post - New Pontoon with List

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Kraftei

First Post - New Pontoon with List

#1 Post by Kraftei » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:00 pm

I purchased my first tritoon boat this year, previous to this boat I have owned numerous inboard and outboard powerboats. The boat I bought is an entertainer with a Yamaha 250 ho, it has a bar and four stools / sink on the port side and then your usual configuration on the starboard side. It's supposed to have a 200-pound list on the port side switch which gets equaled by the Captain. When I launched my new boat (to park at the Marina) I noticed that it had a list to the starboard side, approximately an inch and a half. I reported it to the Dealer immediately, to date nothing has been resolved but apparently they are working on it.

It might seem insignificant but once you add the captain and one additional passenger on the starboard side the pontoon begins to have a significant list. A fellow boater pointed out my list one day and suggested I re distribute my weight, problem is, there's no weight to redistribute . I suspect it's somewhere between 400-500 pounds to level the boat. I have taken ad hoc measurements of the pontoons and deck and found nothing of significance. I checked the starboard pontoon for water and there is none and all three pontoons are holding equal pressure (3.5psi).

I don't want to mention the Dealer or the boat manufacturer at present (in case we come to a resolution), but I am just reaching out to see if anyone else has had similar problems and any potential advice.

steve1313

Re: First Post - New Pontoon with List

#2 Post by steve1313 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:26 am

Kraftei wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:00 pm
............ It's supposed to have a 200-pound list on the port side...........
Who told you it's "Supposed" to have a list???? That doesn't make sense to me.

It almost sounds like your toons are undersized, or the center toon is much larger which creates a see-saw effect.

I've never taken a level on board to verify, but I've certainly never experienced any noticeable list on my boat. I've even added a 150 pound custom cabinet behind the helm seat, and I weigh 250+ and I don't notice a list when I'm onboard alone.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

willy13

#3 Post by willy13 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:03 am

That is definitely odd. I feel like it would require a big weight difference to have a 1.5" list on one side.

Kraftei

#4 Post by Kraftei » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:29 pm

I spoke with the manufacturer and the rep stated that the boat is 200 pounds heavier on the port side due to the config. I just called it a 200 pound list in lieu of a better word.

I believe the pontoons are of equal size but I can check!

BobL

#5 Post by BobL » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:27 am

How many batteries do you have and what side are they on?

You mentioned a sink on that side. I assume it has a fresh water tank? Is the tank full?
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

Kraftei

#6 Post by Kraftei » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:31 am

One battery on the starboard side... the sink, water tank and bar are on the port side.

The list is on the Starboard side, the Port side weighs 200 pounds more (according to the manufacturer) because of the Entertainer package. In theory I have to add 200 pounds to the Starboard side to get equal weight then add 400 or more pounds to get it to list a inch and a half.

riplipper

#7 Post by riplipper » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:27 am

Seems very odd that all the additional weight is on the port and you list Starboard???
It is very doubtful, but in todays manufacturing environment nothing would surprise me, maybe someone installed the wrong size log on either side??? Maybe measure them.
If that is not the case there has to be some hidden weight somewhere??? And you say you checked for water so something is screwy.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

BobL

#8 Post by BobL » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:29 am

That is what I get from not paying close attention to what you wrote. I thought it was listing to port. Anyway....

1 - there should not be a noticeable list on either side with no one in the boat and loaded normally.
2 - there is usually not a noticeable list with just the captain in the boat when loaded normally.

I am curious what it would look like if you moved the battery from the starboard to the port side and filled the fresh water tank (assuming the fresh water tank is fairly large and is on the Port side). As others have said, it takes a lot of weight to create a noticeable list so doubt moving the battery and filling the fresh water tank would make much of a difference.

One more question. Does the port side have a built in ice chest or place designed to store an ice chest?

I find it hard to believe that they designed the weight distribution with a full water tank, a full large ice chest, and 2-4 people on the port side and 1 person on the starboard side.

Given that, I hope your dealer/manufacturer can figure out the issue.
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

Kraftei

#9 Post by Kraftei » Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:06 pm

You folks are reconfirming what the boaters at my Marina have said, it would take a significant amount of weigh to create a list in a tritoon. I walked the marina and not one tritoon has a list. Not all of them are equally loaded, the general consensus is a list in tritoon is rare unless water is in a pontoon. I have seen pontoons go out severely overloaded, not balanced and the boat just squatted, no list.

I have a live well on the starboard side, its small and I use it as a cooler. The water tank which is on the port side was full when I launched the boat and first noticed the list, as it empties I presume the list will get worse, its about half full now. That said its not a huge tank. I also carry a small potable fuel container on the port side (for back up). I have tried to put as much weight on the port side, if I empty the boat it will not help, just hinder.

I wonder if they assumed a weight deficit on the port side because of the Entertainer and did something to counter it, possibly this created the issue. If that's not it, possibly a combination of manufacturing errors.

It irritates me to see a list, as well I am concerned about resale. When I add a driver and a passenger on the starboard side it becomes very noticeable. I am constantly telling everyone to sit port side when we are under way. This is my first tritoon so I was trying to get a feel for what is normal and what is not!

bansil

#10 Post by bansil » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:49 pm

I can not imagine any newer tritoon leaning one side or other period, that is a lot a displacement.

Something is bad wrong, you are talking probably 1500 lbs of wt to make it lean side to side 1-1/2 (just a guess because don't know what size logs)

I would measure all 3 logs, diameter, length and crosssection if not round, most have a bigger or longer center log and matching side logs
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

Kraftei

#11 Post by Kraftei » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:02 am

I reported the list the first day my pontoon was put in the water and I am no further ahead. The manufacturer "Berkshire" has given the Dealer and myself the run around, no further ahead. The Dealer is willing to assist me in replacing the pontoon, thankfully they are a big enough to do that. It might cost me bit of money but it is better then being stuck with a pontoon with a list. That said its not fair what the manufacturer is doing !

My question, how do I go after the Manufacturer? they appear to be too big to be touchable, the only access appears to be through Facebook, no other platform to leave them a bad review or warn others. I was so naive I actually thought they would fly a tech in to examine the boat, I could not imagine allowing more pontoons to go down the assembly line (with a issue) and not wanting to address it. The only possible answer is they are aware of it, have already addressed it but do not want to deal with the 5 year warranty implications. They are now suggesting that the list is normal, every time I call them its "pie in the sky answers" and more checks to be done. They are just buying time, waiting for the issue to go away, the Dealer has had the boat for 5 months now (trying to resolve this situation).

Ps. the starboard pontoon has been checked 4 times, including a camera inspection, there is no leak. Somehow the manufacturer built a list into the boat, it does not appear to be a issue that can be fixed. The boat has been measured numerous times and nothing of substance has been found.

Attached is a picture of the pontoon empty, half tank of fuel (center tank) and one driver (184 pounds). Lists are hard to photograph but this one is hard to miss!
Attachments
IMG_3129.jpg
IMG_3129.jpg (560.35 KiB) Viewed 16507 times

Flanker

#12 Post by Flanker » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:06 pm

That stinks, I hate it when a MFR gives you the run around on a poorly designed product because they don't want to admit a mistake. Put more pressure on the dealer, after all they are the one who sold the boat to you. I would continue to post on as many sites as you can about the problem and name the dealer.

Contact the FBI and tell them you know where Jimmy Hoffa's body might be. Of course Roland might "respectfully disagree" 😊
Westport KY
Ohio River/McAlpine Pool
2009 Crestliner Bataba Bay
150 Merc

Kraftei

#13 Post by Kraftei » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:10 pm

Flanker wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:06 pm
That stinks, I hate it when a MFR gives you the run around on a poorly designed product because they don't want to admit a mistake. Put more pressure on the dealer, after all they are the one who sold the boat to you. I would continue to post on as many sites as you can about the problem and name the dealer.

Contact the FBI and tell them you know where Jimmy Hoffa's body might be. Of course Roland might "respectfully disagree" 😊
My Dealer no longer carries Berkshire, he now has Bennington, there was some kind of shuffle, Martin Motorsports now has the line. This obviously compounds my problem. I find when manufactures do not want to address a problem, it is usually top down, its the culture. A buddy had a problem with a new xxx truck, they attempted to fix it once and then replaced it, no questions asked. Another friend had a safety issue with xxxx suv, he finally threw the towel in and paid for the repairs, literally four days later they had a recall. They knew (all along) there was a problem but they waited until they had no choice but to address it!

ROLAND

#14 Post by ROLAND » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:42 am

Kraftei wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:10 pm
Flanker wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:06 pm

I might, but I don't disagree on this subject. Play nice!
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

Bamaman

#15 Post by Bamaman » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:33 am

Berkshire pontoons are part of Warren Buffett's empire under the guise of the Forest River Inc. Their literature says, "Forest River Marine offers the kind of financial stability that no other recreational products company can provide its customers. Forest River Marine remains committed to continual improvement as a means to build a product that holds its value longer and assures its owners a lifetime of enjoyment."

A couple of years ago, Forest River's pontoons along with Bennington were the industry's only two companies experiencing significant increasing sales. (Pre pandemic)

Have you had the boat on a trailer? I would first go to a certified scale and weigh the trailer side to side. Then put the boat on the trailer and see what the actual weight difference is.

Then go directly to the big Forest River, Inc. with the information. If Forest River has such financial stability, they can either repurchase the boat or trade you into a model that suits your needs and is better balanced.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150