Got another What Would You Do...project pontoon

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

onlybillhere

Got another What Would You Do...project pontoon

#1 Post by onlybillhere » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:03 am

So in the "off-season" i am wanting to get a pontoon that I can convert into a floating tiki bar with griddle that I can take to local boating events here and feed my friends and just have a good time...that's what boating is all about, right?
so here is 3 options I have currently and I won't say which one I am leaning towards but let me know what you think:

Option 1: 28' not sure what brand or year pontoon currently used as a shrimping vessel. Has a 2004 Honda 40 4 stroke on it. It doesn't have a trailer. I can pick up a trailer for it, it's a scissor lift style, dual axle, for a really good price. Deck seems to be in good shape. Has a helm but not much else which is good by me. It's a couple hours drive away from my house to pick up the trailer then the boat. would be a full day adventure but that doesn't really bug me as long as I am getting a good deal and something that floats (very important). Asking $2k, trailer is $700

Option 2: 22' not sure what brand or year pontoon comes with scissor lift trailer, dual axle, but no motor. This one is much closer to home, about an hour or so away. New carpet (not the color I want but whatever) and deck seems like it's in good shape. just a helm and a seat, it does have a portable gas tank, not sure why if there is no motor. Asking $2k

Option 3 that just came up: Lowe pontoon not sure what year, not sure about length but has motor and trailer and is about 30 minutes away. it would be a complete gut job, deck looks rough. Asking $1500

I'm still looking, doesn't hurt to and there is no real rush, just the sooner I can get it the sooner I can get to working on it.
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

BobL

Re: Got another What Would You Do...project pontoon

#2 Post by BobL » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:41 am

There is not enough info for me to comment on the price but here is my opinion.

1 - Tiki Bar - I assume you will have a lot of people on the boat. This would have me leaning to the 28' option

2 - You appear to be making modifications (Tiki Bar, Griddle, etc.). Since you may be making mods, get the most stripped down boat you can and I it appears the 28' is stripped.

3 - When you mentioned adding a griddle (cooking on board), you don't want carpet. To me, that would rule out the 22'.
SOLD - 2009 20' Bentley w/4 Stroke 90hp Mercury
SOLD - 2011 SouthBay 522CR w/115 4 Stroke Mercury
2014 Xcursion 23RF XS package w/150 4 Stroke Mercury

onlybillhere

#3 Post by onlybillhere » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:34 pm

all 3 boats would "fit the bill", all stripped down, even though the one has new carpet, no biggie. I am leaning towards the 28' however I think my biggest concern is the use of a scissor lift trailer and it being the farthest away from my house. I read horror stories and read stories of great success using those trailers so I'm just torn about it.
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

BobL

#4 Post by BobL » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:19 pm

If your not going long distances, pay attention, make wide turns (so you don't hit a big curb), I think scissors are OK. Yes, they are "tippy" and not as stable as the bunk style (due to the width differences).

I have never used one but my buddy has one and he has been happy and has not had a problem. What he loves about it is he can put some blocks on the ground and easily drop the boat in his yard. He also easily lowers his boat on dollies so he can get it in his garage.

Pretty quick/good read here:

http://www.trailersforpontoons.com/abou ... ntoon.html

onlybillhere

#5 Post by onlybillhere » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:43 pm

BobL wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:19 pm
If your not going long distances, pay attention, make wide turns (so you don't hit a big curb), I think scissors are OK. Yes, they are "tippy" and not as stable as the bunk style (due to the width differences).

I have never used one but my buddy has one and he has been happy and has not had a problem. What he loves about it is he can put some blocks on the ground and easily drop the boat in his yard. He also easily lowers his boat on dollies so he can get it in his garage.

Pretty quick/good read here:

http://www.trailersforpontoons.com/abou ... ntoon.html
the scissor trailer is luckily a box frame version and tandem axles so even though they are more "tippy" than bunks this one is less "tippy"...made by Rocket Trailers.
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

TWB

#6 Post by TWB » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:39 am

Gotta agree with BobL, the 28' sounds like a blank slate for you to do what you want. Make that thing into a recognized party.
And, Yep, no carpet. It won't take long for spilled margaritas and salsa to soak in, stink, and get gummy.

:2cents
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

onlybillhere

#7 Post by onlybillhere » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:59 am

well sadly the trailer has been sold so getting the 28' is now up in the air :(
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

onlybillhere

#8 Post by onlybillhere » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:39 pm

when one door closes another door opens....so I found a 24' pontoon, trailer, and motor I will be looking at tomorrow. it's a project pontoon so not much of any interior. we'll see if this pans out.
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

onlybillhere

#9 Post by onlybillhere » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:26 am

well I went to look at the 24' this weekend...only had one picture to go on and couldn't tell much from it so I hopped in my truck and drove the 2 hours to check it out.
The good:
24' long
the toons look great, a dent in the back of the starboard toon but could be pulled out if it really bugged me. all in all just a good bath is all they need.
Has 2, count them 2 mercury 60hp bigfoot motors, a 2001 and 1997 with an upgraded transom to hold the weight, super beefy
Comes with a trailer (I never knew how many boats are offered for sale without trailers, it was a pain to weed them out)
Clean title!
No flooring (this is actually good for me), I will put my own floor down and it will be done to my liking. plus I already have a floor covering in mind i want to use

The bad:
The gentleman that owned it was there, he is 84, and this is was his 3rd boat and his favorite. he was going to restore it but his wife passed away and life just got in the way. He is really attached to it, we talked for probably an hour about it. I could see his passion and his frustration of not being able to complete it. I know it's just a boat, just stuff, but it meant something to him and I could understand that and totally feel that.
Trailer needs new tires
trailer needs lights
Both motors haven't ran in a while (they do turn freely so that's a good sign)
will need just about everything (throttle controls, steering, electronics, etc...)

The not sure:
has 20" 21" toons? I have 25" on my Tracker and they are smaller on this boat.
hoping the extra weight of the second motor doesn't make the rear end drop too far into the water. worst case is I can get rid of one motor (or both) and put a single motor (bigger?) on it.
There are some extra parts laying around for the boat, not really sure if any are usable.

He is dead set on $3000 and to be honest, I think it's worth it then some. Just the trailer alone is probably worth $1500, and we have some "floating dock" pontoons (just the pontoons, no motor, no trailer) going for about $750-$1200 around here. I'll find out later today if it's a go....fingers crossed.
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

onlybillhere

#10 Post by onlybillhere » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:39 am

Oh you people are going to love this story (if anyone is reading this):
so the guy selling it is using an estate company, he's moving and this company is in charge of getting things sold. ok, no biggie. So the original post was for $2500 for this pontoon. I responded to who I thought was the owner, turns out it's the estate company. I ask about the boat, more pics, yadda yadda yadda, and the lady tells me that the price was wrong in the post and it's $3000. ok, no biggie, I'll still go see it. drove 2 hours, looked at it, talked to the guy who actually owns it, and he reiterated that he's firm at $3000. Me and the wife do some discussing and responded to the lady that we'll take it for the $3000. she tells me she will let me know after talking to the owner if it's a go (kinda odd since we are paying what he wants but whatever) so she texts me back late last night saying he is firm on the $3000 (ok...) but she wants her commission of 25% but he won't give it to her. what? Commission? Isn't this something she should have worked out with the owner? SO I blast off a text saying how I wouldn't have wasted my time on such bullshit.

So me and the wife are getting ready for bed and I told her I have the right mind to call the guy myself and offer him $3000 and go around her. Literally 10 minutes later I get a text from her asking if I want the gentleman's number and call him myself and she'll step out of it. Funny how life works sometimes. SO I called the guy this morning and come friday morning I will be picking up my new project.

Thanks for the read (if anyone did), just wanted to share the news.
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

BobL

#11 Post by BobL » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:49 am

Ha ha...good for you. I'm going to try that the next time I sell a house - tell the realtor to try to get their fee from the buyer.

curtiscapk

#12 Post by curtiscapk » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:54 pm

sweet!!!!!!!!!!!! We want pics!!!!!!!!!!!
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

onlybillhere

#13 Post by onlybillhere » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:05 pm

Well I picked her up friday...1995 Monarch Suncaster 240. She isn't much to look at but it's what she can be is the important part. The toons look great, it's solid, I think it's going to be a fun project.
20201009_185815_compress43.jpg
20201009_185815_compress43.jpg (246.84 KiB) Viewed 3541 times
Attachments
20201009_185801_compress23.jpg
20201009_185801_compress23.jpg (249.87 KiB) Viewed 3541 times
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

steve1313

#14 Post by steve1313 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:17 am

Looks like you've got a base with good bones to add to. Keep in touch with posts and pictures as you progress! Good Luck.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

bansil

#15 Post by bansil » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:21 am

:thumbsup

Teardown won't take long :mrgreen:
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com