35hp Force outboard engine issues, please help!

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

jasindude1

35hp Force outboard engine issues, please help!

#1 Post by jasindude1 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:23 am

First off the boat is new to me, 88 Bass Buggy with 35hp Force engine. Took to the lake and spent a lot of time tuning it, after the 1st day i noticed the wrong plugs were in it, those have been replaced, noticed the choke solenoid doesnt work, but from my understanding this is just a start choke its not an auto choke,(it slowly opens as the engine warms) if anyone can give me any insight on this. The intake flap i noticed looked mostly closed like /, i would try to rea-adjust to where it was horizontal and it would idle fine, but when put into gear it would die at high speeds. anyways i tuned it several times, everytime i think i had it dialed in, it would run good and then like an hour later after being anchored to fish it wouldnt start or would act up, i cleaned the carb, fresh fuel, added seafoam additive, synthetic oil 50:1 ratio, i added 91 octane fuel. If i can get some help on what i should check or be checking, i adjusted the idle and it was too high in neutral so since decreased it. Seems to be smooth once i get it running, but when we left it seemed to start right up and drive great back to the dock but when i went to get the truck the wife went to start it and it would die when she tried to put it in gear, does it need to be adjusted? also is it ok to let the engine idle for a while? sorry if my post is all over the place, this is my 1st boat, im pretty comfortable with wiring and tuning 2 stroke engines from building race quads, but this outboard seems to be a different animal and i have been told they are notoriously finicky.

riplipper

Re: 35hp Force outboard engine issues, please help!

#2 Post by riplipper » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:26 am

It sounds like this boat might have sat for a looooong time before you purchased. You said you added fresh fuel but I am thinking their might have been some REALLY old fuel and water in the tank???? Sounds like you know what your doing so thats in your favor. Once you get that thing running right it should run a long long time......good luck.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

bansil

#3 Post by bansil » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:30 am

as long as she's a peeing you can idle, after a couple min. Blip throttle to just clear out and lube bearings so she doesn't load up plug.

When you cleaned carbs how did idle jet, and main jet look? Able to get air through all passage ways?

I assume for air ratio etc, turn in screws until light set and back out 1-1/2 turns?

How are the carb rods adjusted according to butterflies open position?

It really sounds like water/trash in gas...may have a low floater in tank that the sock sucks up or even sock is clogged
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

bansil

#4 Post by bansil » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:33 am

oh to add

The Atwood outboard gas pump/bulb assembly had a bad batch from China that the liner would separate and collapse line....that batch is big it has been like 5 years of inventory, mostly cheap places like Walmart and onlone
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com