Underwater LEDs - models and placement advice needed

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

jays0n

Underwater LEDs - models and placement advice needed

#1 Post by jays0n » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:01 pm

We just finished the carport addition (16' x 38') to our shop to store the new boat and it's parked in there for the winter. I have a pile of small upgrades to make (LEDs in the cupholders, subwoofer, additional speakers, install a grill, LED strip lights under the deck, on-board battery charger and hopefully underwater LEDs somewhere on the stern) and plan to get started soon. I have everything but the underwater LEDs.

I have 2 questions, I've been looking at https://www.boatpluglight.com/collectio ... ts/neptune and wondered if anyone has any experience with them. 8000 lumens is a lot of light and I was planning on getting 2 of them. This brings be to my 2nd question. Our boat is a tri-toon with a 300hp Mercury hanging on the back and the center log / engine mount sits further back than the other 2 logs. Should I mount them on the side of the engine "pod" or on the transducer mounts on the other logs? They are through mounted so either location would work, just want to maximize the amount of underwater light we get out of them. They will only be for fun, not fishing or anything like that.
"COMING IN HOT" - 2020 Regency 250 DL3 w/Mercury Verado 300

jays0n

Re: Underwater LEDs - models and placement advice needed

#2 Post by jays0n » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:32 pm

Nobody?

Marc K

#3 Post by Marc K » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:57 pm

Sorry, just not something that I have any hands-on experience with.
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

jrolin1

#4 Post by jrolin1 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:47 am

I don't have experience with the leds you have. The ones I just installed are supposedly 1000 lumens each. I mounted them on the back of each toon on the bracket. The bracket is slightly angled up where I mounted them.

steve1313

#5 Post by steve1313 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:57 am

Buy one and mount it to the end of a stick or 2 x 4. Take your boat to a cove one evening and lean over the back with the stick and you can simulate different placements to see which location gives you the best results.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

gerard143

#6 Post by gerard143 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:49 pm

Mount them on the transducer brackets. It will light up nice

riplipper

#7 Post by riplipper » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:34 am

mine are on the transducer brackets......FWIW, have replaced both of mine for the third time.....
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

Puto

#8 Post by Puto » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:49 am

riplipper wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:34 am
mine are on the transducer brackets......FWIW, have replaced both of mine for the third time.....
Replaced the LEDs or the transducer brackets 3x?

riplipper

#9 Post by riplipper » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:07 pm

Puto wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:49 am
riplipper wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:34 am
Replaced the LEDs or the transducer brackets 3x?
LEDs.
Set one installed by dealer. They tightened down screws too tight.
Set two, they replaced and I installed....just crapped out.
Set three, I ordered something hopefully better and they are still working.....after a month.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

jays0n

#10 Post by jays0n » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:32 am

Well I ordered a pair of them and will be getting started on a bunch of small upgrades to the boat in a few weeks, waiting for the weather to improve a bit first. I have the underwater LEDs to install, strip LEDs on the edge of the deck, LEDs in all the cup holders and a few other things. I'll update this when they're installed and tested. They seem really well built (in the USA) and have a lifetime warranty, anxious to see them in action!

jays0n

#11 Post by jays0n » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:36 am

Got the lights installed and posted photos in another thread but figured I should post a couple photos here as well.

The pucks are aluminum and fully sealed. The face is potted with clear epoxy and from what I can tell they will be tough as nails. That said, they have a lifetime warranty against defects like water getting inside :)

That heat sink looking casting mounted to the right of center is the voltage regulator that comes with the light pucks, one regulator can operate up to 2 lights. I wired them up with a relay just in case, even though the switch I'm using can handle the current.

First test, on the trailer under the car port at just before dusk. Can't say for sure what they'll be like in the water but they sure are bright on land, so bright it looks fake!