Premier? Manitou? Coach? Tritoon for saltwater

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

atcgolfer

Premier? Manitou? Coach? Tritoon for saltwater

#1 Post by atcgolfer » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:30 pm

Hi. Looking to buy first tritoon for our new move to Cape Coral. Anyone have experience with saltwater and possible 1-3 foot chop that we can experience when going through Charlotte harbor on way to barrier islands? Local boat show more center consoles down here but did like the premier pontoon that was on display. Want at least 250 hp . And about 25-27 feet.

Thanks

riplipper

Re: Premier? Manitou? Coach? Tritoon for saltwater

#2 Post by riplipper » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:37 pm

3 foot would be one hell of a chop....not a place for a toon. Just go out on better days.
Any of the better brands will work for you. Pick the dealer closest to you.
Make sure the purchase price includes completely treating the whole boat with "Sharkhide"
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

Bamaman

#3 Post by Bamaman » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:05 pm

Any of those brands would be fine. Just make sure you have the saltwater version. It's also best to have the toons painted if you're 100% saltwater use.

I'm a Bennington owner and therefore my opinion is slanted.
'12 Bennington 24' SSLX Yamaha 150

steve1313

#4 Post by steve1313 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:08 am

I can't offer any insight into a pontoon into the type of water you're going to use it in, but I can offer what I consider the most important advice.........

Pick your dealer, then pick your boat!

Boats dealerships aren't like car dealers where you can take your chevy to any chevy dealership. You'll quickly learn that boat dealers give much higher priority to boats bought from them as compared to somebody dropping off a boat from another dealer for work, especially warranty work.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

Rick McC.

#5 Post by Rick McC. » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:56 pm

We’ve been running ‘toons in saltwater, and keeping them docked in fresh water, year round; for over 20 years now. They actually ride better and cut through the chop better than monohulls do.

I’ve found that pontoon lengths of 22’ and over do better in a chop because they stretch across the tops of more waves than the shorter ones do; resulting in a better ride with much less constant “up and down” motion. When you get into the bigger waves; just slow down your forward speed. That’ll place the front of your pontoons at a higher angle; which cuts through the waves without pounding, and results in a more comfortable ride, with less stress on the boat.

We’ve been using pontoon boats to go offshore for spearfishing, and traveling up and down the coast for 50-60 mile trips for over 20 years now, and much prefer them to monohull boats for comfort, and ease of maintenance.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

zoom650

#6 Post by zoom650 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:53 am

I had my Harris Solstice 220 w/150 Verado rigged for salt. I choose Harris for their dealer network in the areas I boat.

Remember, it's all relative to your boat handling skills, but windy days, choppy bay, running near shore .. no problem. Extra anodes, reinforced nose cones, and reinforced fencing are the differences my model has.

If you're ordering your boat, I never regretted a double bimini for the extra shade. Just for kicks, I'd price that 250 against twin 150's and see what difference that would be. Having twins on a 27 ft'er around a tight marina is a joy to maneuver.
Michael and Laura
'12 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Ecoboost
'14 Harris Solstice 220, P3 tritoon, Mercury Verado 150, Enertia 14p.
prior boat: '02 Century 2600CC, twin Yamaha EFI 200's, full instruments.