Proper SUV for 21' Bennington SLX & 115hp motor

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Rick McC.

Re: Proper SUV for 21' Bennington SLX & 115hp motor

#16 Post by Rick McC. » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:39 pm

Back in my (much) younger days; I towed a 31 foot Airstream all over hell and gone with 4.0L Jeep Cherokee Sport. That said; I did add a trailer controller, overload springs and transmission cooler.

For the last 15 years or so; I've used Ram 1500s with the 5.7L Hemi and and 3.92 rear end gear for all my towing. The current one is a 2020 Laramie.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

TAC81

Re: Proper SUV for 21' Bennington SLX & 115hp motor

#17 Post by TAC81 » Tue May 11, 2021 9:00 am

I agree with everything already posted....

Any half ton vehicle will pull your boat just fine. I pull my 24' Premier with my 2012 Ford f-150 with the Ecoboost motor or my 2004 GMC Yukon XL with the 5.3. Either one pulls it just fine and stops it just as well. The Ecoboost motor and transmission setup is plum perfect for towing...it makes stupid power and torque for no more cubic inches than it has. Obviously a tow package is a nice option, because it will be wired for trailer lights and brakes. Some will have other options as well, but the gains are minimal.

I will also add that the 4 wheel drive is a must!! I've seen way too many guys spinning tires trying to get up a wet concrete ramp. Especially if its a busy day and there is a lot of traffic up and down the ramp. I put mine in 4 high and ease right up it like its just another day.

Another consideration is how many miles on average will you be towing it? Is your lake 5 minutes away or 2 hours? Someone earlier posted about the comfort level when towing. That's a huge deal for me as well. I don't want to feel like I'm beating the crap out of a vehicle to tow something. I want it to feel capable and to give me a comfort factor, so I feel good about towing it and want to tow it more, and visit more and more lakes.

YMMV