Under Seat Storage

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

rrp0968

Under Seat Storage

#1 Post by rrp0968 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:25 pm

Hi all

New to the forum.....

In the market for a 24’ Tritoon to take my family out on the water. 200 Hp min.

Wanted to gauge everyone’s opinion on underseat storage. I am looking at a 2585 Avalon with a 250 Honda. The Avalon underseat storage is a bit different from what I have seen in others which would be a molded plastic seat base. The Avalon looks to have a welded aluminum frame to support the seats.

Any advantages to one vs the other. Neither one appears to be really water tight.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ron

curtiscapk

Re: Under Seat Storage

#2 Post by curtiscapk » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:06 am

Never seen that type before. IMO NO boat seat will be water tight that opens..... very little might get in but some always will I would think. Might gets some in but not a ton.
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

JoeB14

#3 Post by JoeB14 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:38 pm

I had a Tahoe, sister company to Avalon, and it had that type of a seat frame. Now I have a Harris, which is more like the other type you describe. They both work fine, but I think that the Tahoe had more overall space.
2016 Tahoe 2485 LTZ Tritoon, 150 HP Honda
2015 Ford Expedition 4x4

Liquid Asset

#4 Post by Liquid Asset » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:31 pm

I have a Tahoe as well , same company as avalon ( it's like Chevy / gmc trucks) and like the huge seat bases. As mentioned there is no such thing as a water tight seat on a pontoon but how they "breath and drain" is huge.

My bases are vented open and water could run under them from the deck. There is a mesh material that keeps everything off of the floor. The advantage they (Tahoe/avalon) offer is they dry out really well if they do get wet. They also do probably have the most storage available.

The roto mold bases probably offer the ability to make a more custom curvy base than the aluminum frame , but as a functional item you can't beat it! Here's what mine look like. They are vented at the stainless steel and at the floor. I'd show what fits inside but the boat is tucked away for the winter yet lol

Screenshot_20210316-202752.png
Screenshot_20210316-202752.png (1.73 MiB) Viewed 3888 times
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

riplipper

#5 Post by riplipper » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:16 am

I would not trade my under seat storage for ANYTHING.
I have a Harris and they are almost waterproof with water run off ditches under the seat so if water does get between the seats very little goes into the box, so far I have had none go in there.
With that said, if you are one of those that puts wet stuff in a sealed compartment you will grow mold. Always dry things before storing.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

steve1313

#6 Post by steve1313 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:35 am

It appears there are two primary methods of water instrusion protection.

Some of the roto molded bases have channels built into the top of the seat base that is deigned to catch water and route it out the back of the base or even overboard. Others have vents in the base of the base designed to give some ventilation to the storage area, presumably to help dry things out and lessen the chance of mold growth.

On my Sweetwater, they bases have th rotomolded channels in the top and a few holes predrilled at the lowest part of the base.

No matter what the setup, I don't think I've ever seen one that is waterPROOF. And I seriously doubt that if you threw wet towels, life vests, etc into any of these bases that you wouldn't have to worry about mold
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

TWB

#7 Post by TWB » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:42 am

steve1313 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:35 am

No matter what the setup, I don't think I've ever seen one that is waterPROOF. And I seriously doubt that if you threw wet towels, life vests, etc into any of these bases that you wouldn't have to worry about mold
Totally agree there. We have very little water get in (rotomolded bases) and we are careful to check for moisture during clean up after coming back in. Being in a sand environment, we generally hose down seats, and sometimes inside them. Wipe 'em down, towel dry 'em out. Luckily, my lift is at the house, so if need be, we leave the seats open for a while to allow air drying.

:2cents

-Paul
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife