Trolling motor install on a 18' Tahoe

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

dougbartow

Trolling motor install on a 18' Tahoe

#1 Post by dougbartow » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:20 pm

Hoping to put a 70# 24v Minn Kota hand controlled pontoon trolling motor on the center bow of our pontoon this spring. We have about 24" of free deck space in front of the door, and like to fish up front. There's plenty of space under the first bench seat in the front of the boat, and I was planning on placing the two 12v batteries and charger up there (separate from the starting battery near the motor). Our boat looks like this one: http://boats.iboats.com/sites/tahoepont ... 556414.jpg
Question: can I drill a hole in the deck of the boat (under the bench near the batteries) and run the battery lead cord under the deck to the front lip of the bow and install a trolling motor plug right at the lip of the bow, but underneath? I'm thinking I'd love to be able to plug the motor in like that, and not have any cables visible where we would have to avoid tripping over it. The motor is hand controlled, so the mount is a small footprint at the front of the bow and there's no pedal or bulky frame required for storing in on the deck etc... thx

Liquid Asset

Re: Trolling motor install on a 18' Tahoe

#2 Post by Liquid Asset » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:37 pm

If you can run the wires on top of the pontoon log ( should be if it's on a side bench) that would work. I'd make sure your quick connection is out of a splash area if it's going to be at the bow. If that connection could land on top of the deck it would probably be best.
2018 Tahoe ltz elite windshield powered by a 175 Mercury verado with sea legs
Rebuilt custom 20' 1983 riviera cruiser tritoon SOLD

2017 crew cab F-350 gets me to the lake !

riplipper

#3 Post by riplipper » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:22 am

If you are talking about a female plug on the front deck surface, I would be concerned with water getting into the plug.
My boat is pretty similar and I mounted my plug on the front of my bench seat. Little bit of wire on the deck but has never been an issue.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

dougbartow

#4 Post by dougbartow » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:52 am

Thanks for the advice.