1st time pontooner

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

kevlegs

1st time pontooner

#1 Post by kevlegs » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:29 am

I moved close to a lake last year and thought it would be nice to get a pontoon. Luckily, one came up a few weeks back as the owner was moving away and couldn't take it with him. It's a 1996 20ft Sweetwater 2019 RE. Only my wife and I using it so the size is fine.
Furniture was dirty (cleaned it but still needs more cleaning), carpet ruined but everything else is sound. I paid $3k for it.

I am getting the carpet replaced this winter, (guy can't do it sooner) so bought some rubber back marine carpet to lay down so I can use it this summer.

Now finding out how hard it is to get a snap on playpen cover... The prev owner had seat covers but obviously never used them. They were in one of the storage boxes but most were so fragile they tore easily. So, I'm currently trying to find either seat covers or as mentioned previously some cover while it's in the water. What fun.

Hope to have it back in the water in a few weeks..

wiread

Re: 1st time pontooner

#2 Post by wiread » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:08 am

If the carpet is gone and the furniture is already damaged. Just keep it clean and dont' worry about the cover. It's depreciated already. I'd just save my money. When the floor goes on, all your seats and rails are coming off anyway. You might want to get seats done then too. But this time of year is hard to get upholstery done unless it was lined up a while ago. Much of the summer will be over by the time they get to it anyway and if your seats and carpet have been out that long, another summer won't make any difference.

Getting a cover is a couple/few grand and what are you protecting? seats and a floor that already need work?When you take the boat out for winter and are getting the floor done, get it on the schedule now to do your other stuff. at least that's what I would do.

TWB

#3 Post by TWB » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:43 pm

Welcome to the forum!

With a boat as old as a 1996, I imagine you will plan to, but if not, I strongly recommend close inspection of your wood deck when you get ready to do the carpet. It would be a waste of time and money to replace the carpet/flooring, and then have to do it all again soon when the deck begins to rot. As hard as it is to get carpet removed cleanly, it would be less of a killer job to go ahead and do the decking and the flooring, even though it would add a bit to your expense.

We just rebuilt ours last year and it is not really that hard and is a great source of satisfaction. There is tons of "How-To" videos out there, and tons of info here. Lots of guys here have rebuilt, and if they are any good, they like talking about it!

Enjoy!
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

bansil

#4 Post by bansil » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:46 pm

Like has been said, enjoy it now, worry next winter.

Pontooners for the most, really don't give a rats ass what your boat looks like, it's when parked ya'lls attitude and general vibes is what makes your 'toon shine.

When me and wifey are out for a relaxing trip....we dont care. When are friends who do and don't have a toon are with us....Noone cares.

Screw PC...have fun and enjoy...99.999% of folks don't have the luxury of any pontoon :smoke

Oh!!!...welcome aboard, stick around and post pics of you guys having fun :mrgreen:
Check out "Dudes" site www.whereisdude.com

steve1313

#5 Post by steve1313 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:51 am

bansil wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:46 pm

Pontooners for the most, really don't give a rats ass what your boat looks like, it's when parked ya'lls attitude and general vibes is what makes your 'toon shine.

When me and wifey are out for a relaxing trip....we dont care. When are friends who do and don't have a toon are with us....Noone cares.

Screw PC...have fun and enjoy...99.999% of folks don't have the luxury of any pontoon :smoke

Oh!!!...welcome aboard, stick around and post pics of you guys having fun :mrgreen:
Bansil - Sometimes I wish I was more like you! Between being a bit OCD and a bit anal retentive, there's no way I could leave my boat undcovered all season. :biggrin2 The only time my boat is uncovered is if at the end of the day, we're tired and the floor of the boat is really wet. Then I'll leave it uncovered overnight, but I'll be back at the boat early the next morning to cover it up. If it's still damp in the morning, I'll take it out for a cruise and let the sun and the wind dry it off so I can cover it up.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

bansil

#6 Post by bansil » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:24 am

steve1313 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:51 am
bansil wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:46 pm

Bansil - Sometimes I wish I was more like you! Between being a bit OCD and a bit anal retentive, there's no way I could leave my boat undcovered all season. :biggrin2 The only time my boat is uncovered is if at the end of the day, we're tired and the floor of the boat is really wet. Then I'll leave it uncovered overnight, but I'll be back at the boat early the next morning to cover it up. If it's still damp in the morning, I'll take it out for a cruise and let the sun and the wind dry it off so I can cover it up.

:lol3

Its theTrailer Park Estate manager in me I guess... :biggrin2 ...want a glass of Cab Sauv and a cold smoked beef fillet?
:drool

CSB time, had toon beached on an island early last summer, had the ole weber going on dry land because of wakes.....

🐟 🚔 pull up (known him for years)

"Bansil, how come your cooking on land?"

"Cold smoking fillet and boat was rocking too much"

He looked at me, grill and me "its 90* and how you are cold smoking with all the smoke coming out of there???"

He tied boat to ours and came over to the grill, I opened lid and he was like :o I had coals on both sides smoking, and 2 walls of alum that goes from bottom grate, through food grate up to a few inches from lid, (basically 3 chambers connected at top under lid) under the beef tenderloins I put an aluminum tray with 1/2 bag of ice, and smoke 2 hrs or so until they hit 145, rubbing with butter every half hour.....you can cut with a fork and it is as read as a coke can inside, no blood though

He said "living the lake life, Bansil.... :thumbsup "

Sorry for hijack OP :drink

ROLAND

#7 Post by ROLAND » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:59 am

Bansil is right. Most don't give a fat rat's ass what your toon looks like. Enjoy the heck out of that thing.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

TWB

#8 Post by TWB » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:26 pm

bansil wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:24 am

Its theTrailer Park Estate manager in me I guess... :biggrin2 ...want a glass of Cab Sauv and a cold smoked beef fillet? :drool
:lol3 :lol3 :rofl :rofl You are a frikkin' HOOT!

:drink4 :drink4 :biggrin2 :biggrin2
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

bansil

#9 Post by bansil » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:31 am

:rofl