Let's talk batteries and voltage regulators

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

onlybillhere

Let's talk batteries and voltage regulators

#1 Post by onlybillhere » Mon May 03, 2021 10:38 am

Background: 60 HP Mercury, 1995, CDI Stator installed mid-last year sometime, also replaced voltage regulator at the same time (old one stop putting put charge), using 2 https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Le ... /164242687 with a VSR (voltage sensing relay) to connect the two batteries while charging but disconnect them while the motor is off.

So my voltage regulator stop putting out voltage to my batteries this weekend, verified it with a multimeter. Stator is in spec. Of course looking online about issues with Mercury and voltage regulators and battery types there are a lot of opinions on what is the better battery to run in this setup. Many say don't use a deep cycle marine battery with these setups, use the good old wet, lead acid batteries like for cars. With this being the second regulator I am replacing I'm beginning to think there is some truth to this.

So...for those who have a motor that uses a voltage regulator, what have you got for a battery (batteries) and what's your thoughts on getting away from the deep cycle batteries?
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

Marc K

Re: Let's talk batteries and voltage regulators

#2 Post by Marc K » Tue May 04, 2021 5:55 am

"Deep cycle" batteries come in different types, flooded, gel and AGM (not including Lithium of course) Generally "Marine deep cycle" batteries are dual-purpose, not true deep cycle regardless of being wet/gel/AGM.

Yes, good quality AGM deep cycle batteries have a very high charge acceptance rate and can overload some charging systems by continuously drawing heavy current. Some charging systems are inherently protected, but most are not designed to provide their full output for long periods of time. They are built to put back the power used for starting the motor and a little more.

I do not know if this is the case for you, but I have seen this problem many times on large battery banks with a smallish alternator/regulator burning up because it wasn't designed to provide 100% output for long periods of time.

My 115HP Yamaha feeds two large AGM's in parallel without an isolator without problems. BUT, my style of boating now, never drains much from the batteries because the engine starts fast and is always running if we are aboard. (A lot of cruising and tubing and I pulled the trolling motor off)

Marc
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

onlybillhere

#3 Post by onlybillhere » Tue May 04, 2021 12:45 pm

normally there is a Minn Kota 2 bank charger on the batteries if the boat sits for more than a week, otherwise I run it enough so that the batteries are never depleted. even when out on the water I hardly run electronics, mainly because the other boats I go out with have a larger sound system so no need to run mine. I just find it odd, that's all. I think I will upgrade (or downgrade) to regular batteries and see what happens.
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

Steiner

#4 Post by Steiner » Tue May 04, 2021 1:43 pm

What's the max stator output? I'm going to guess your charging system is woefully undersized and also the wrong setup for trying to run two deep cycle batteries.

If you are not running anything with the motor off like a trolling motor, pumps, etc. I don't think you need anything outside a regular flooded starting battery. Even then I believe you need the correct type regulator for a deep cycle OR just charge it with your charger and only charge the starting battery with the boat's charging system. Also if considering AGM, a charge system not designed for AGM can result in a battery that won't last.

Back when the regulator was working, I wonder what you read when running if the batteries were pulling charge...probably well below 12V. I imagine two of those batteries would require more current during the bulk charge phase than your charge system could put out, and without a smart regulator it would just run wide open. Keeping everything on your charger was probably what let it last as long as it did.
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

onlybillhere

#5 Post by onlybillhere » Tue May 04, 2021 1:56 pm

It had a 16 amp stator. i have a stereo, some accent led lights, led docking lights which rarely get used, a fish/depth finder, and a couple usb charging ports, and 3 gauges (rpm, water pressure, fuel gauge) that have lighting to see at night and that's about it...not a whole lot compared to other boats. I'm sure the batteries I do have are far more than what I really need which makes me wonder if that's the issue. i have no issue swapping the batteries out, might as well do it now since I'll be removing the power head shortly to replace the steering yolk. boats are a good time....so much fun and relaxing...
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

Steiner

#6 Post by Steiner » Tue May 04, 2021 2:15 pm

Ha ha yeah let's keep telling ourselves that and maybe it'll come true!
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package