1989 kayot rebuild and repower question

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

bozz89

1989 kayot rebuild and repower question

#1 Post by bozz89 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:54 pm

New to the boards and looks to be a lot of good information out there. i have done couple searches and so far have come up empty on information I'm searching for. I picked up a 1989 kayot About a year ago and have do a slight resto on it before repowering recently. The refurb has picked up a bit more now that the other project boats have been completed but I'm at a total loss on this one trying to figure out how to tune it in.

I bought it less motor and powered it with a Merc 65 about a year ago just since I had the motor stashed away for another project but it was completely under powered to run on river where I use it. I ran into a guy with same set up recently and he had slapped (with reinforcement of course) a black max 200 and said he could run it around 28-35mph depending on river direction. I just recently picked up and repowered with a black max 150 an cant seem to get the boat to rev up on the RPMs with out completely pulling the trim up getting it to rev and then slowly dropping back in to where motor falls completely back on its face. The motor cam with a 14 diameter 19 pitch stainless and after doing the merc calculator it matched me with a 16 diameter 14 pitch cupped prop.
I tried the new set up this weekend and it wouldn't get out of its own way. Before installing motor i installed a adjustable jack plate for more adjustment ease, but whether I move it up or down no change. I'm wondering if I should try a prop with a bit more pitch to let it slip a bit or go to a larger pitch with another blade.

Worst case I save my pennies and do some more reinforcement and add that third toon but if its as easy as some adjustment or a different prop set up I'm all ears.
thanks in advance!!

bozz89

Re: 1989 kayot rebuild and repower question

#2 Post by bozz89 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:56 pm

i also have pictures of current set up i will upload as soon as i figure out how to resize. :biggrin2

curtiscapk

#3 Post by curtiscapk » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:15 am

welcome! pics would help. I would think 14 pitch is close. what rpm or you hitting at WOT?
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

bozz89

#4 Post by bozz89 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:24 am

So i don't have a Tach set up currently since its been a repower but when leaving out of a deep water start i can go to WOT and there seems to be no RPM change and if there is it i very minimal just enough to pick up a bit of speed. The only change comes if i try to trim up and cavitate the prop a bit where then it will rev up and if i put trim back down it will just fall on its face again. This is now with the 16x14 set up. When i was running the stainless prop that came on motor the 19 pitch it would do the same but if i trimmed up and let it cavitate a bit it would get on plane but still didn't seem right. I also with the 19 pitch had to adjust jack plate all the way down to get it to somewhat come on plane, but now with the 14 pitch im lifting it back up again with theses adjustments there seems to be no better improvements either way. I feel like im chasing my tail haha.

And with the pictures any input using windows 10 i have resized but it says the files are to large still.

Thanks in advance!!

curtiscapk

#5 Post by curtiscapk » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:12 am

I use this one. It does multiples at once and keeps originals. I folder everythiing by date so keeps them all together. I normally do medium resize.

https://download.cnet.com/Image-Resizer ... 37402.html
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS