Trouble With Premier FlexSteel Springs

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Zinnut

Trouble With Premier FlexSteel Springs

#1 Post by Zinnut » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:54 am

I have a 2007 Premier PTX 235 that I bought new. I paid extra for FlexSteel seats. Every one of the flat springs under my seats have turned into rusted bits. And this has not been recently. It started happening years ago but now they are all completely rusted and every time you open a seat bottom bits of rusted metal fall all over the floor. It has really soured me on Premier. I tried discussing it with Premier but they just blew me off. I would never buy another Premier boat.

Rick McC.

Re: Trouble With Premier FlexSteel Springs

#2 Post by Rick McC. » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:39 pm

Spring steel is a type of carbon steel, and it rusts. Ever see any leaf springs on a well used boat trailer that weren’t rusted?
It isn’t the manufacturer's fault; it takes maintenance to keep spring steel from rusting.

The cheapest “fix” would be to wire brush them with a drill, and paint them. Repeat as necessary. If their location makes paint a no-go; coat them with a top quality firearm CLP like Eezox, and make it part of your monthly maintenance practices.

https://www.eezox.com/
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

Zinnut

#3 Post by Zinnut » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:40 am

There are springs made from stainless steel:https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/stainl ... pring.html It is absurd for a boat manufacturer to install seats with carbon springs on a boat. These seats were made by Flex Steel, a high end furniture manufacturer. The flat springs are always in wet conditions under foam construction. Carbon steel should never be used in this environment. It is totally the fault of Premier. Your suggestions is useless to me because the springs have completely rusted and disintegrated. It is possible to make leaf springs for boat trailers with stainless steel.

Rick McC.

#4 Post by Rick McC. » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:29 pm

Really?
I’d like to get some stainless steel leaf trailer springs for my tri-toon trailer. Where might I buy some?
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

steve1313

#5 Post by steve1313 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:45 am

Is it just the helm seat, or are all the seats flexsteel? I know it's pretty common to have springs in the helm seat, but I'm not sure I understand the value of springs in the other seats.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

Zinnut

#6 Post by Zinnut » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:16 am

Rick McC. wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:29 pm
Really?
I’d like to get some stainless steel leaf trailer springs for my tri-toon trailer. Where might I buy some?
It's in the link I sent in my reply to you. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... uzaoJu&s=p

Zinnut

#7 Post by Zinnut » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:18 am

steve1313 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:45 am
Is it just the helm seat, or are all the seats flexsteel? I know it's pretty common to have springs in the helm seat, but I'm not sure I understand the value of springs in the other seats.

All of the seats had flat springs. Since they rusted into tiny bits I have installed marine grade plywood under the seats for support.

Towdaddy

#8 Post by Towdaddy » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:03 am

Thanks for the info. I will look into the SS springs. Have you tried disassembling your seats to see how easy it is to replace the springs. Just stupid to put plain steel on a boat.
Jeff

----------------------------------
Peggy Sue
25 x 10' 2009 Premier Escapade
225 Mercury Verado

Zinnut

#9 Post by Zinnut » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:48 am

Towdaddy wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:03 am
Thanks for the info. I will look into the SS springs. Have you tried disassembling your seats to see how easy it is to replace the springs. Just stupid to put plain steel on a boat.
I opted to just put in some treated plywood under the seats. I really don't notice any difference in comfort although I am sure it is a firmer seat without springs. I agree that it is absurd to put anything other that stainless in a wet environment like that.

jadeboy

#10 Post by jadeboy » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:38 am

some of the stainless will rust 303/304 will not others do 400 series will rust appliance stainless will rust