Salt water prep

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

seafun

Salt water prep

#1 Post by seafun » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:53 am

Can anyone share first hand experience with your manufacturers' approach to salt water prep for your pontoon or tritoon?
If purchased new, was it worth the extra charged and has it adequately protected your vessel? And would you purchase it again?

Thanks.

riplipper

Re: Salt water prep

#2 Post by riplipper » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:47 am

I have a regular Harris and all my dealer did was put sharkhyde on the toons and zincs.
I seriously doubt a "salt water series' is any different than standard production toon.
I am in salt water and I rarely if ever see a toon that says "salt water" on it
But I could be wrong????
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

sunedog

#3 Post by sunedog » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:57 am

Depends on the manufacturer. Pretty sure the Bennington saltwater package consists of sealed lifting strakes and the correct anodes for salt water.

Rick McC.

#4 Post by Rick McC. » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:54 pm

I’ve seen quite a few “saltwater series” type ‘toons around here.

I’ve owned several ‘toons over the years, but have always had standard (if there is such a thing) ones.
Anyway, most of my ‘toons have lived in the water year round, unless a hurricane was forecast to hit pretty close. We live on fresh water, which connects to the Gulf about two miles west of our docks. I’ve found that, even though 90+% of our boating is in saltwater, a good rinse-off as soon as I get back to the dock keeps saltwater related problems to a minimum.
Now, if you’re keeping a boat docked full-time in saltwater; that’s a whole ‘nother thing, by at least an order of magnitude. With that, and today’s less than shitty choice of bottom paints; at least every other year intervals for reapplying bottom paint, and WEEKLY running of the boat (moving quickly, not at the dock) is mandatory. Freshwater flushing of the motor is highly recommended, along with the regular use of a “salt terminator” type of product.

Now I’m not one of those who feels the need to polish the logs and keep them shiny bright, so mine get no coating, and my cleaning consists of scrubbing the toons with a fairly still brush while anchored up in the saltwater. I’ve found that works very well in removing the slime that builds up while docked in fresh water.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.