How to keep a pontoon boat on course

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

DocPit

How to keep a pontoon boat on course

#1 Post by DocPit » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:39 pm

I'm learning how to lay out a course with the Navionics boating app. My problem is keeping my boat (Bennington 20 SLL) on course. The yellow line that shows the track of my boat staggers around the magenta line that lays out the course like a drunk taking a sobriety test. I can't track to the course. I think I've figured out part of the problem. Contrary to my expectations, the track does not reflect only the direction I'm steering. Rather, it reflects the direction the boat is moving, which includes the steering plus the effect of the wind. For a pontoon boat, with it's broad, flat sides, "wind" can mean a 5 mph breeze. Moreover, I've been moving very slowly (around 5 mph) through my practice runs, much like a child trying to color within the lines. I'm guessing the net effect is that the shifting breeze moves the boat as much as the power of the engine does. On my next outing, I'll try to run the boat at 15-20 mph to see if that helps. Meanwhile, if anyone has any tips or advice, I'd appreciate hearing it. I really need to learn how to keep the boat on track. Thanks.

jrolin1

Re: How to keep a pontoon boat on course

#2 Post by jrolin1 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:39 am

At speed it will be easier. But normally just staying close to your course is good enough. Light corrections with the steering wheel are best. Boat wakes can knock you of course slightly.

TWB

#3 Post by TWB » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:53 am

jrolin1 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:39 am

At speed it will be easier. But normally just staying close to your course is good enough. Light corrections with the steering wheel are best. Boat wakes can knock you of course slightly.
Totally agree. That red line on the GPS is nice and straight. You will likely never be able to be that straight. Wind, chop, speed, current, beer --- all things that will work against you. You can come close, but I wouldn't sweat having to make constant adjustments.
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

steve1313

#4 Post by steve1313 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:20 am

If you "followed" the track and successfully got to your destination, that's all you need to worry about. You don't need to worry about being exactly "on the line".

Think of the magenta line on the app as a 10 lane highway. As long as your actually "driving" in any of those 10 lanes, your still on track. It doesn't matter if you're in the far right lane or the far left lane or moving between all the lanes. On land in a car, drifting between all the lanes might get you pulled over, but on the water, it's totally normal.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

riplipper

#5 Post by riplipper » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:45 pm

the slower you go the more you will drift.
do not look at the chart.
When you are on course per chart, pic an object far far away, like a tower, mountain, tree and just aim for that.
Its a lot like driving a car, look down the road, not at it.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

Rick McC.

#6 Post by Rick McC. » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:14 pm

riplipper wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:45 pm
the slower you go the more you will drift.
do not look at the chart.
When you are on course per chart, pic an object far far away, like a tower, mountain, tree and just aim for that.
Its a lot like driving a car, look down the road, not at it.
Excellent advice!
I use clouds as “far away objects” whenever I’m running offshore in the Gulf. Ain’t no trees or mountains out there. :mrgreen:
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

Simo

#7 Post by Simo » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:11 am

Zoom out a bit on your screen and it won't seem so obvious.
Simo
Harris Cruiser 210
Mercury 150XL EFI
Lake Keowee