Trailer WWYD...

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

onlybillhere

Trailer WWYD...

#1 Post by onlybillhere » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:08 am

Boat: 1995 21' Party Barge w/ 60 hp merc
Current trailer (which i don't like but it came with the boat): Single axle bunk style, 10" tires, I added winch stand/stairs and guide posts, not very long tongue...this requires me to back in pretty far to launch the boat, many times the truck had water close to the middle of the rear tire.

I have a second pontoon that I am working on and it sits on a nice dual axle, long tongue, still uses 10" tires, a trailer that I actually like.

Now my situation....I want the single axle trailer gone. I found a dual axle, box frame scissor lift made by Palm Beach trailers. the axles are low to the ground and don't move as part of the scissor lift mechanism. sturdy trailer but still a scissor lift which means you have to take more precautions when traveling with it. Now the ramps I use are only a couple miles away and the trailer will not be on any highway. I like the idea of the scissor lift so I can launch the boat without having the truck knee deep in water plus the fact I can have the boat set on the ground (supported by foam pads). I can also take the project boat and set it on the ground and use the nice bunk trailer for any trips i take with the boat.

so...should I jump at the scissor lift based on how I plan on using it? I'm so torn on this...but I really think the usefulness of the trailer outweighs the possible issues seeing how it's not going to be used for long trips.
1995 Sun Tracker 21 Party Barge
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me
Loving the life here in Deland, Fla.

onlybillhere

Re: Trailer WWYD...

#2 Post by onlybillhere » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:28 pm

update: I decided to forgo the scissor life for now cause it wasn't the right size, some of the measurements were way too close and wouldn't be a good choice...at least this trailer....so the search continues....
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

onlybillhere

#3 Post by onlybillhere » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:04 pm

as an update I ended up picking up a nice bunk trailer this past weekend. tandem axle...exactly what I was looking for!
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

TWB

#4 Post by TWB » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:22 am

Good for you! It's nice when things finally work out.
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

onlybillhere

#5 Post by onlybillhere » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:49 am

TWB wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:22 am
Good for you! It's nice when things finally work out.
thank you!! it's just nice to have confidence in a trailer, that single axle I was using just worried me if I ever had an issue with a tire.
60HP Mercury 2 stroke
It's new! to me

Rick McC.

#6 Post by Rick McC. » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:09 pm

onlybillhere wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:04 pm
as an update I ended up picking up a nice bunk trailer this past weekend. tandem axle...exactly what I was looking for!
Glad to hear you got what you needed!
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.