Best Pontoon bunk trailers?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Rabbit929

Best Pontoon bunk trailers?

#1 Post by Rabbit929 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:54 pm

So after buying my 2021 sylvan 21ft I realize my trailer is pretty entry level.

Had some struggles in bad weather loading, and am looking at adding pontoonloader.com’s design, but I’m also thinking about upgrading to a double axle.

Anyone have any ideas on the best trailers at this time?
Google just turns up ads and paid listings so I’d like some item from experienced folks here.
Bunk trailers only though.

steve1313

Re: Best Pontoon bunk trailers?

#2 Post by steve1313 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:30 am

Obviously a double axle won't help with loading, but it certainly gives you a more stable "platform" when towing. It can be a bit trickier to back up, but just marginally so.

I looked at that pontoon loader site briefly. Looks interesting, but your best bet would just be practice. As you get to know your boat better and how it reacts you'll find it easier and less stressful to load. Pontoons can act like big sails in windy weather, but you'll still get better at it as you learn how your boat drifts and reacts to throttle.

Learning is a perfect excuse to use your boat more!!! :)
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

curtiscapk

#3 Post by curtiscapk » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:50 am

I agree with Steve! It's all about practice! THE FLOATER hasn't had reverse for going on 5 years. We can load and unload before most people can with reverse.

Last time at the dock we were getting ready to load on the trailer, and a ski boat came in with a couple and their 2 girls under 10. They had their tow rope floating behind them I asked him to pull it in so I didn't get caught up in it as it was pretty windy and without reverse I would get pushed right into it. After he pulled the rope in I pushed out let the wind whip me around and off I went to load up. All I heard was "well damn reverse is for newbies" !!! :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

riplipper

#4 Post by riplipper » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:59 am

That loading system looks pretty cool. But probably not needed.
One thing that helped me a bunch was taking my trailer guides off.
Those things were always pushing me off course rather than helping.
I am near the beach so wind and VERY strong currents are what I fight.
Practice has helped a bunch, but sometimes still have one of THOSE days :hammer
Sure this doesn't help :drink
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

riplipper

#5 Post by riplipper » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:59 am

riplipper wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:59 am
That loading system looks pretty cool. But probably not needed.
One thing that helped me a bunch was taking my trailer guides off.
Those things were always pushing me off course rather than helping.
I am near the beach so wind and VERY strong currents are what I fight.
Practice has helped a bunch, but sometimes I still have one of THOSE days :hammer
I'm sure this doesn't help :drink
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

Steiner

#6 Post by Steiner » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:20 am

Both my pontoon and tritoon trailers had/have 5-6' center guides. You can get a kit for under $200 and supply your own boards and mount either inside or outside the logs. Really the issue I think some people have is putting the trailer too deep in the water. If you leave about a third of the bunks out of the water, it's easier to get the logs to drop in the bunks and stop the boat, then just gas it up to the stops. The guides help greatly with this.
Kit: https://www.etrailer.com/p-CE27600K90.html

Not my trailer but an idea of how they look. Both of mine have been the tandem axle Yacht Club by HLT with the heavy 3x5" galvanized steel frame.
http://hltlimitedtrailers.com/pontoon/

2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

Rick McC.

#7 Post by Rick McC. » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:03 pm

Steiner wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:20 am
Both my pontoon and tritoon trailers had/have 5-6' center guides. You can get a kit for under $200 and supply your own boards and mount either inside or outside the logs. Really the issue I think some people have is putting the trailer too deep in the water. If you leave about a third of the bunks out of the water, it's easier to get the logs to drop in the bunks and stop the boat, then just gas it up to the stops. The guides help greatly with this.
Kit: https://www.etrailer.com/p-CE27600K90.html

Not my trailer but an idea of how they look. Both of mine have been the tandem axle Yacht Club by HLT with the heavy 3x5" galvanized steel frame.
http://hltlimitedtrailers.com/pontoon/

My current tri-toon trailer doesn’t have any guide-ons anywhere, and, as you note; one of the single most beneficial things folks can do to make loading the boat onto the trailer easier is not putting the trailer too deep in the water at the ramp. :thumbsup
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

ROLAND

#8 Post by ROLAND » Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:00 am

I had to do a couple of things to help myself with loading the boat.. First thing I did was add some pvc trailer guides that mount onto the trailer frame. They're nice because you can just slide the pvc tubes off when you're towing. Then a few years later when the wooden bunks finally broke from being rotted out, I replaced the bunks with new treated lumber and then instead of carpet I tried these polymer bunks.. Both of these things helped me with launching and especially loading the boat back on the trailer.
Attachments
New polymere plastic bunk glides installed and ready to go    6-10-2017 (3).JPG
New polymere plastic bunk glides installed and ready to go 6-10-2017 (3).JPG (187.89 KiB) Viewed 9020 times
100_0955.JPG
100_0955.JPG (218.3 KiB) Viewed 9020 times
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

jlh3rd

#9 Post by jlh3rd » Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:55 am

Rabbit929 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:54 pm
So after buying my 2021 sylvan 21ft I realize my trailer is pretty entry level.

Had some struggles in bad weather loading, and am looking at adding pontoonloader.com’s design, but I’m also thinking about upgrading to a double axle.

Anyone have any ideas on the best trailers at this time?
Google just turns up ads and paid listings so I’d like some item from experienced folks here.
Bunk trailers only though.
from what I've learned, and extensive reading since getting my pontoon 5 years ago....
...are you getting new or used ?
.....so generally speaking....
Who makes the trailer doesn't necessarily matter..
Galvanized trailers are usually more desirable than a painted trailer for longevity.
a disk brake system (which I do not have) seems to be the least trouble free...next would be electric brakes...then surge..
I couldn't convert my trailer to disk without totally changing the axles...I tried to keep my surge brakes by totally replacing with new brake assemblies and master cylinder...never could get it to work right. Replaced with electric last year and couldn't be happier...... Trailer/boat is factory but 2001/2006 that I bought used...so if buying used ..be wary about conversion/repair problems.....

hope this helps...