Under-Deck Trolling motor mount?!

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Rabbit929

Under-Deck Trolling motor mount?!

#1 Post by Rabbit929 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:52 am

If you don’t like reading, scroll to the last paragraph.

I’ve scourged the inter webs, browsed the boob-tube, investigates cia files, and to my surprise there’s no one who seems to have done this.

I’m talking mounting a trolling motor, under the deck, when extended sticks out the front and can stand full vertical, and tuck back under when not in use.

As my new toon sees a lot of different uses, we use the front door a lot, don’t really want to cut or replace the front door just to tie up that space (and half the floor) with a parked trolling motor for my 3 kids and clumsy wife to kick and trip over.

Where space is limited, what’s wrong with under deck where space is FREE? WHY HASNT ANYONE DONE THIS?

I passionately aim to do so so any ideas? Problems? I recently got a deal from a buddy for a 24v I-pilot 80lb thrust full power head trolling motor and helix 7 fishfinder, all used 1 season, for $1300. (Divorce, poor guy sold his boat) and I’m determined to find a way to install without interfering with loading and unloading, and obstructing the front of the toon any further. (Already have a deckhand anchor winch to trip over.)

SO. Has anyone any idea, how to install a power head trolling motor under the deck of the toon, without interfering with floor space when stowed? I don’t mind if it sticks out the front on the water, but not when stowed, as to prevent trailering issues.
If water infiltration could be an issue I could stow it vertically while underway, then just lower it as needed, and tilt it under when loading/unloading on the trailer.

This has to be done. This must be done.

jediger

Re: Under-Deck Trolling motor mount?!

#2 Post by jediger » Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:16 pm

Interesting idea but I can see a gew issues.

First you would need a self deploying motor since it wont be accessible undernth3 deck. And all of the current commercial trolling motors right deploy to be raised vertical and then lowered. You would have to figure out how to reverse this process to lower it from below the deck.

Secondly, trolling motors are fairly large (the reason you don't want to store them on the deck in the first place) and so the will potentially create a lot of drag if water is constantly banging off them under the deck.

If your going to start from scratch you could try and invent something like this https://sideshift.com/products/pontoon-thrusters/ but with a fully articulated directional ability. You will also want to figure out some way to determine the direction the head is facing from above deck. Seeing which way your motor is facing is really important when trying to steer.
Pinawa Bay, Manitoba
2014 Premier Cast-a-way 231, PTX; 2014 Evinrude 250HO ETEC

Rick McC.

#3 Post by Rick McC. » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:47 pm

jediger wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:16 pm
Interesting idea but I can see a gew issues.

First you would need a self deploying motor since it wont be accessible undernth3 deck. And all of the current commercial trolling motors right deploy to be raised vertical and then lowered. You would have to figure out how to reverse this process to lower it from below the deck.

Secondly, trolling motors are fairly large (the reason you don't want to store them on the deck in the first place) and so the will potentially create a lot of drag if water is constantly banging off them under the deck.

If your going to start from scratch you could try and invent something like this https://sideshift.com/products/pontoon-thrusters/ but with a fully articulated directional ability. You will also want to figure out some way to determine the direction the head is facing from above deck. Seeing which way your motor is facing is really important when trying to steer.
:thumbsup :thumbsup

I wouldn’t fool with the damn things at all.
Anything under the deck on mine would be turned to shit by the salt water anyway…
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

TDJ2591

#4 Post by TDJ2591 » Sat May 21, 2022 6:11 am

I can’t find it but someone on this site posted details a few years ago about a remote controlled retractable under deck trolling motor mount that he built himself. I recall that he used linear actuators to deploy and raise the TM. It was an impressive build.
[color=#4000FF]2005 Crest Caribbean 25'
2006 Honda 135hp 4 stroke[/color]

Marc K

#5 Post by Marc K » Sat May 21, 2022 1:41 pm

If you can overcome the hurdles already mentioned, you might have something marketable. Every time I looked at doing something brought me right back to: I will bring the trolling motor if I am going out to fish. Otherwise, it is in the boathouse.

Best of luck on your quest!

Marc
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115