What is the used boat market like?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

leecallen

What is the used boat market like?

#1 Post by leecallen » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:41 am

I am preparing to sell my pontoon boat. It's a 2017 Lowe SS230 tritoon with a Mercury 200HP motor and trailer, all lightly used in fresh water, low engine hours, in very good condition.

I have NO IDEA what the used boat market is like. Is it like the used car market, with inflated prices?

NADA says my configuration is worth $26K. Is that a reliable number?

I would very much appreciate any advice. Thank you!

leecallen

Re: What is the used boat market like?

#2 Post by leecallen » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:37 am

I think I mis-read the NADA price, it looks like it's $40-44K.

https://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/2017/L ... 503/Values

Steiner

#3 Post by Steiner » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:05 am

It's in-****ing-sane right now. The place I got my boat from said late last summer that Yamaha had a 50 week lead time on outboards. They only pontoons they have in stock right now are Lowes...two 210s with 90hp Merc and a 230 with 150hp Merc. Yes...pontoons not tritoons.. starting at $49k without trailer.

If I were you I'd price it at least $5k over what you paid originally and see how it goes. DEALERS are paying over retail for stuff right now. Friend recently sold his Axis surf boat to a broker for almost $10k over what he paid for it in 2016. Another friend just sold a two or three year old F-250 to a dealer for $71k and his Chaparral to a dealer for $55k.
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

leecallen

#4 Post by leecallen » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:32 am

Oh that is really good news! Thank you!

wiread

#5 Post by wiread » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:36 pm

Prices are still up around here but not as much as last year. but if you're going to sell I'd do it sooner than later. I have a feeling after this summer it's all going to change. Lots of people are back to work, less time to use boats. 3 bucks a gallon to fill was a lot better than 5 or 6 or more we'll be paying at marina's this summer. I have a feeling a lot of people are going to see their payments for everything go up and the first thing to go is going to be the toys with the 5-600 a month payments they only use 4 times a summer now that they aren't home on covid quarantines and no more stimulus money to toss around. Boat dealers don't have a lot of stock, but this time last year none of them had any around here. This year they all have at least a couple in stock that aren't spoken for.

The boat we almost boat in Feb right before all this started was a no negotiation price from deal for 52K, with some effort I think we could have gotten into 44-47 range. anyway, last april went to get the same boat layout, but no where near the add ons from the same dealer and it was 69K to order it in april base model for hopeful delivery in August. we passed. This year, last month, same boat, same layout and motor is back down to 60K. Our Marina still has ice in the canals, so we're a bit out from boating yet, but it will be interesting to see what happens this summer. I've been keeping my eye on a couple used toons already and they're higher than i'm going to spend when I already have a boat i'm happy with, but they aren't moving like they were last year this time. But as it warms up i'm sure that will change.

Marc K

#6 Post by Marc K » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:40 pm

Common sense and history tell me that the insanity cannot continue and that there will be a correction. When and how deep is the multibillion-dollar question, but it most certainly will happen. We are in for a wild ride when the dominoes start falling.
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

steve1313

#7 Post by steve1313 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:33 am

Like everyone else is saying, l, the market is crazy and it's a good time to sell. Of course if you need to replace the boat you sell, you'll be on the other side of the equation and you'll either pay big bucks or wait a long time. Or both.

As an example, I paid 40K for my tritoon in Sept of 2017. I saw my boat dealer at a boat show in January and he said he'd buy it for $42k.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

Steiner

#8 Post by Steiner » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:34 am

That's what I forgot to add... if you're thinking about selling, do it now. I think some of the cracks are already starting to show.
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

Simo

#9 Post by Simo » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:00 am

I'd start with 10g over what you want. Ya' never know!
Simo
Harris Cruiser 210
Mercury 150XL EFI
Lake Keowee

leecallen

#10 Post by leecallen » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:23 am

Thanks guys (I assume).

The marina that's storing it offered to sell it for me on consignment, he thinks he can get 42-43 (I paid 40 in 2017), less a 3500 commission. He says he has a couple of advantages: they can offer financing and service.

I am thinking of putting it on eBay and hyping it on some local Facebook groups and see what I can get for it.

steve1313

#11 Post by steve1313 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:12 am

leecallen wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:23 am
Thanks guys (I assume).

The marina that's storing it offered to sell it for me on consignment, he thinks he can get 42-43 (I paid 40 in 2017), less a 3500 commission. He says he has a couple of advantages: they can offer financing and service.

I am thinking of putting it on eBay and hyping it on some local Facebook groups and see what I can get for it.
I'm a big believer in letting someone else do the work for me, especially in a case like this where you're liable to get a bunch of looky loos that just waste your time. But I'd certainly talk to the marina and negotiate their commission.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

riplipper

#12 Post by riplipper » Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:12 am

If I was not going to replace the boat I would sell NOW for sure.
Storage lots are FULL of Covid purchased boats and campers.
People bought and making payments
People paying to store their purchase
People not using them
The price of gas

I think in a year or two the market will be flooded with campers and boats for pennies on the dollar.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

Marc K

#13 Post by Marc K » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:15 pm

riplipper wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:12 am
People not using them
The price of gas

I think in a year or two the market will be flooded with campers and boats for pennies on the dollar.
Yes, I agree but it is going to happen much sooner. I am not a tinfoil hat guy by any means, but I can feel the winds shifting fast because of my business. Remember how just a little bit of false information created a massive toilet paper shortage. If you are a shooter I do not have to explain panic-driven ammo shortages.

Being raised on a remote ranch, I have always stored extra food, water, and supplies high and deep. It is normal for me. Everyone needs to lay in extra stuff now, or moan about it later. How far you want to go is up to you but if you are paying attention you can see that our world is going sideways. NO! I am not forecasting "Mad Max" scenarios but uncomfortable situations can be avoided through planning. Being ready or not, is your decision to live with later.

WTF will you do when your favorite Bourbon is simply not available? :biggrin2
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

riplipper

#14 Post by riplipper » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:22 pm

Scary times for sure.
Food and ammo supplies are good.
Worried about my beer supply.
FJB
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

Rick McC.

#15 Post by Rick McC. » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:53 pm

Marc K wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:15 pm
riplipper wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:12 am
People not using them
The price of gas

Yes, I agree but it is going to happen much sooner. I am not a tinfoil hat guy by any means, but I can feel the winds shifting fast because of my business. Remember how just a little bit of false information created a massive toilet paper shortage. If you are a shooter I do not have to explain panic-driven ammo shortages.

Being raised on a remote ranch, I have always stored extra food, water, and supplies high and deep. It is normal for me. Everyone needs to lay in extra stuff now, or moan about it later. How far you want to go is up to you but if you are paying attention you can see that our world is going sideways. NO! I am not forecasting "Mad Max" scenarios but uncomfortable situations can be avoided through planning. Being ready or not, is your decision to live with later.

WTF will you do when your favorite Bourbon is simply not available? :biggrin2
👍
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.