Need help on prop selection-no reverse!

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Tils

Need help on prop selection-no reverse!

#1 Post by Tils » Sun May 22, 2022 4:19 pm

I have a 24ft Premiere Castaway with an Evinrude 250HO G2 with an RX4 prop right now. The boat is new to me and today was the first day I had it on the water. Overall good day except for one thing…there is virtually no grab in reverse :( I am definitely swapping out this prop but interested in what the recommendation is.

I am most interested in top speed as we rarely use the pontoon for water sports…just want to get to the fishing hole quick and then be able so stop!

Thanks in advance for any guidance all.
Sold 2010 Southbay 522cr 115hp Merc
2016 Premier 240 castaway 150hp Evinrude
2010 Tundra

ishoot

Re: Need help on prop selection-no reverse!

#2 Post by ishoot » Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:24 pm

On my original Etec 250 HO engine pushing a 24’ Manitou toon, I had excellent results with a 19p Viper prop. You could also try a Rebel prop which also worked well on my boat. I am not familiar with the G2 specs so please take this info for what it’s worth. Just make sure whatever prop you put on keeps you in the very upper end of your RPM range at WOT with a light load.

Good luck!

Dan

ishoot

Re: Need help on prop selection-no reverse!

#3 Post by ishoot » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:26 pm

I wanted to edit my previous response to you by adding that a four blade cyclone prop will give you more bite in the water. You may lose a mile or two per hour on speed but your holeshot, grab in corners and reverse thrust will be better. I have tested and used all these props mentioned in my responses and all have served their purpose... As far as one prop being the holy grail of everything...not sure that exists.

As an fyi...there is a great thread in the link below on propping pontoons and Etecs. I did some of the testing in this thread. Its a long read but well worth checking out...

https://www.etecownersgroup.com/post/25 ... ht=manitou

Good Luck!

Dan