Concrete Dock protection

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

dvhouten

Concrete Dock protection

#1 Post by dvhouten » Mon May 23, 2022 11:53 am

We just replaced our dock with cinder blocks sides and a concrete cap. It's 14' wide. It looks beautiful, and I'm pretty good at bringing it in parallel to the dock, but now I don't have any protection in case I misjudge my approach or even coming in with a stiff wind. Because of the depth of the cove, I have to come in at an angle.
This first thing I'll add is a 90 degree bumper on the top so my bungee dock ropes don't shred on the edge of the concrete. I feel like I have two choices for the outer wall, but would love to hear some other ideas.

1. Buy enough bumpers and put them close together. This could get expensive.
2. Install vertical 2x4 about every 4' and run 1x4s (or 1x6s) horizontal so the corner of the boat would only hit wood and not concrete.

Any advice is appreciated,
David
Attachments
Cove Side Dock Before and After Nov 2021.jpg
Cove Side Dock Before and After Nov 2021.jpg (757.19 KiB) Viewed 9608 times
2002 Sun Tracker Regency 22 w/60 Bigfoot

NonHyphenAmerican

Re: Concrete Dock protection

#2 Post by NonHyphenAmerican » Mon May 23, 2022 1:57 pm

The Marina at El Dorado here in Kansas has these on the dock slips at the Marina.

I think they might be handy for a concrete dock like yours.

https://www.etrailer.com/Dock-Bumpers/J ... TAQAvD_BwE

And for your pontoon, depending upon your layout, these work pretty good.

I love having them on the front of my toon. They work pretty good on the sides also. I bought mine at Academy Sports.

[color=#FF0000][b]22' G3 SunCatcher V22F
Yamaha F-90
Tooning on El Dorado Reservoir[/b][/color]

Steiner

#3 Post by Steiner » Mon May 23, 2022 5:05 pm

Tugboat style. Old tires.
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

dvhouten

#4 Post by dvhouten » Wed May 25, 2022 2:29 pm

I really like the etrailer bumpers. They are thin and wrap around the top, but I want to go the whole 14' with the top, and that gets expensive. Although if it does the job. . . As for the sports academy bumpers, I like them. Did you get them in the store or online?
And I would be killed if I put old tires on this expensive dock. hahaha

ROLAND

#5 Post by ROLAND » Fri May 27, 2022 2:00 am

I don't know if this will work for your application, but could you buy some old tires and space them next to each other around the concrete dock.. Just a thought.
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

steve1313

#6 Post by steve1313 » Sat May 28, 2022 3:28 am

Looks like a nice upgrade, but where's the water???
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

dvhouten

#7 Post by dvhouten » Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:18 am

I appreciate all the suggestions. I got the sports academy bumpers and they protect the front of the boat, but I'm still deciding on what can go on the dock. And in spite of how well they would work, tires are still not an option, because i really like being married. . . ;-)
As for the water, it stays full pool year round (even in droughts), so they let it down 5-6' every few years for dock, ramp, seawall and shoreline maintenance.
Thanks,
Cap'n Dave

Steiner

#8 Post by Steiner » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:57 am

That's one of the hard things about parking on a non-floating dock....you have to account for the boat rocking and possibly contacting something but at least you don't have to worry with level fluctuation. We moved to a different dock this year but in the past parked on the fixed walkway/pier part of a floating dock. We also had to come in at an angle. Wife would jump off the boat at the end and meet me at the parking spot. We had a couple 4x4 posts that already existed when we got the spot attached to the walkway that I scabbed on another foot and a half so they'd extend well upward past the sides of my boat with the lake at full pool and then attached premium dock edging. I extended them because I was worried about the boat rocking towards the dock and then coming down where the side might hit on top of the posts. Only thing with this we found out is that not all of the boat rub rail is solid top to bottom....got a nice wave in the aluminum at the back (my neighbor just got a brand new Sweetwater tritoon and his had two bends in the front of it from the trailer the first time he unloaded it). We had to contend with level fluctuation of up to three feet so didn't want the lake to be real high and have the boat rock towards them and come down on top of them.

This is our old spot:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EUH378RkRG12macv9

But we extended the dock you see to the left of it out 16' last fall and I moved to it this year. You can see I ran five or six bumpers down the side of it on my side and my neighbor's side and put a little P-edging on the tops of the boards, but since it floats and moves with the boat...mostly.... that was sufficient. Then I got my big Mr. Bumpers hanging on the side.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LsqEUjBpRgPtVxS7A
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xpxyioQHqCwwCijk7

Anyways, about the only thing I can come up with in your situation to keep from possibly scrubbing it on the way in that won't break the bank is running maybe a double stack of plastic or rubber "speed bumps" down it. You could use a masonry bit...ok, several masonry bits...and mount them with simple masonry screws and plastic anchors. Something like this although there are maybe cheaper ones...these are 40" x 6" and come in a four pack for $50.
https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Cable-Prot ... 74&sr=8-13
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

NonHyphenAmerican

#9 Post by NonHyphenAmerican » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:41 pm

I got my "Academy Bumpers" in the store, but have seen them online as well.

They've worked really well, and we're on our 8th year with them.
[color=#FF0000][b]22' G3 SunCatcher V22F
Yamaha F-90
Tooning on El Dorado Reservoir[/b][/color]