Navigation and depth finder

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

JSilva32

Navigation and depth finder

#1 Post by JSilva32 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:28 pm

Just purchased a new pontoon and I am needing help finding a good navigation/depth finder system. Can y’all please help me out? I’ve looked online but can’t find anything. It gonna be more of a cruiser not gonna do much fishing but may do a little. I don’t need anything with a bunch of bells and whistles. Just a map and depth. Lol
24’ Viaggio tri-toon. 150 Mercury
Justin, TX

Steiner

Re: Navigation and depth finder

#2 Post by Steiner » Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:00 pm

I think to get into something with maps will run you around $450. It'll cost a little more if you want one with instrumentation (can network to your engine). I have an in-dash Simrad 5" touchscreen with instrumentation, neighbor has a Lowrance Hook Reveal 7" with maps non-touchscreen. I much prefer the look of the maps on the Simrad. It has both navigation and chart plotter.

Pictures:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/e6nUF1x73ueMMYZA7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dxU56rqgbRRLjdS87
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

JSilva32

#3 Post by JSilva32 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:46 pm

Thank you for that. I went to Cabelas today and I think I’m gonna get the Lowrance Elite FS 7. I’m gonna go mess with it some more tomorrow. Haha
Justin, TX

steve1313

#4 Post by steve1313 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:35 am

I've got the same Simrad as Steiner and have been mostly pleased. My only gripe is that on 2 or 3 occasions (over 5 years), it's lost all the custom settings such as how each page is laid out and my instrument settings. The user interface to reset it isn't the most intuitive. I had a similar Garmin in my previous boat and it seemed a bit more intuitive to set up. But all in all, I've been pleased with the Simrad.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

Steiner

#5 Post by Steiner » Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:59 am

Well damn. You shoulda said you had a thousand dollar budget for it....and without the bells and whistles. :lol3

Steve, I haven't really looked into it but I believe you can back up your Simrad configuration to an SD card or using the Link app by Navico (also works with Lowrance) and wifi connection to the unit using your phone. Guess I need to do that 'cause I'd be PISSED if I had to reset mine.
https://www.simrad-yachting.com/news/lin-app/

steve1313

#6 Post by steve1313 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:20 am

Steiner wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:59 am
Well damn. You shoulda said you had a thousand dollar budget for it....and without the bells and whistles. :lol3

Steve, I haven't really looked into it but I believe you can back up your Simrad configuration to an SD card or using the Link app by Navico (also works with Lowrance) and wifi connection to the unit using your phone. Guess I need to do that 'cause I'd be PISSED if I had to reset mine.
Steiner-
Thanks for info on the app. The description doesn't specifically mention that it backs up settings, but it's worth a try. I also found a "Link Pro" version of the app that says "Link Pro gathers all system information from a vessel’s network, and uploads that information to a secure cloud service to assist with future Navico service requests". Installation details and settings are also emailed to the Certified Dealer, to facilitate easy restoration of a boat owner’s original settings and other dealer-level service requests." But I don't know if I'll be able to use that one since it says talks about Certified Dealers.
Steve

steve1313

#7 Post by steve1313 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:29 am

steve1313 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:20 am
Steiner wrote:

Steiner-
Thanks for info on the app. The description doesn't specifically mention that it backs up settings, but it's worth a try. I also found a "Link Pro" version of the app that says "Link Pro gathers all system information from a vessel’s network, and uploads that information to a secure cloud service to assist with future Navico service requests. Installation details and settings are also emailed to the Certified Dealer, to facilitate easy restoration of a boat owner’s original settings and other dealer-level service requests". But I don't know if I'll be able to use that one since it says talks about Certified Dealers.
Steve

steve1313

#8 Post by steve1313 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:29 am

steve1313 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:29 am
steve1313 wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:20 am
Steiner wrote:

Steiner-
Thanks for info on the app. The description doesn't specifically mention that it backs up settings, but it's worth a try. I also found a "Link Pro" version of the app that says "Link Pro gathers all system information from a vessel’s network, and uploads that information to a secure cloud service to assist with future Navico service requests. Installation details and settings are also emailed to the Certified Dealer, to facilitate easy restoration of a boat owner’s original settings and other dealer-level service requests". But I don't know if I'll be able to use that one since it talks about Certified Dealers.
Steve

Steiner

#9 Post by Steiner » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:12 am

Here's where I saw it:
https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-ele ... nsfer.html

I think I'll just pop a $10 SD card in mine.

JSilva32

#10 Post by JSilva32 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:42 pm

Steiner wrote:

:lol3 :lol3 :lol3 Well I decided to just get the one that caught my eye. My wife wasn’t happy with me but she still loves me.
Justin, TX