New pontoon suggestions

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Bassun

New pontoon suggestions

#1 Post by Bassun » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:59 pm

Hey guys -- I guess I'm a long time lurker lol, looking to pick up a toon.
The problem is, I am really struggling to figure out where the "best" prices are to be found and then to find a fit for what I'm looking for. SO I figured best bet is to ask folks with experience.

First - my lord do I recognize the bad timing. But, it's time.

I think I am looking for something in the 24' range. Big extended family, so I'm looking to safely do 10+ people who are not vegetarians lol. When not wasting gas riding around, the rig would turn into a big fishing platform (probably used more at night than in the day for fishing to boot). I don't need all of the bells and whistles, but I do like them lol. I do want a layout with a boarding / fishing area in the back and the front but I need to also be able to comfortably seat a bunch when not fishing. To date, lake trips with the family ends up me taking 1 or 2 people for rides on my Skeeter...which just isn't the same as tooling around on a toon with everyone.
Given the load, I'm really leaning towards a tri-toon, with a 150. It would be nice to pull people around, but I am not looking to run 50 w/ a dozen folks on deck.

I initially planned on buying cheap used, and doing a rebuild - but again even crap right now is being sold at a premium. Plus, all of the older toon's I found had 23' logs, if they even said the size. Long story short - it doesn't look like a rebuild is likely. That said, I can wire, build, etc. whatever later on - so finding a workable platform, and adding the things I want over time is 100% the likely approach.

I stumbled across USA Pontoons, and that peaked my interest. But, doing a kit means no loan - and even kitting out one is going to be more $ up front than I want to drop at once. And to be candid, I've never rigged a motor - so that does have me a little iffy in that regard. I think they may build as well, but then I kind of figure prices will skyrocket and then I have to consider which makes more sense -- pay a kit provider to build, or pay a manufacturer who just builds. The latter makes more sense, unless the cost is absurdly better and people can attest to the quality. I struggled to find anything about them, which raised concerns in and of itself. But I did like the idea of 28" toons and infinite design flexibility. (Which also means more research on what I would really want, and asking for opinions on that regardless). Either way, I could have a floating fortress with those three of those 28"ers lol.

New or Used is ok - but right now the used market is so upside down that effectively buying new seems the better option. I'm just really struggling to find what I'm looking for at the best price. I'm also not a pontoon expert, so hearing any sage wisdom from those who are would be appreciated. I can google all day, but experience trumps google lol. Any good thoughts, suggestions, or threads that I've missed?

Thanks!

David

steve1313

Re: New pontoon suggestions

#2 Post by steve1313 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:19 am

David-
It sounds like you're still trying to figure out what you really want, but I might be able to help with at least some of your questions/thoughts...........

Build/refurbish vs. buy - You'll find people in both camps here, but to me it's a question of what's more "fun" for you. Being on the water, or dividing your time between water time and build time. Building always will take longer and cost more than you think, which could either limit your water time, or increase your stress levels as you try to get it done quicker so you can get out on the water.

Where to buy- Whether you pick new or used (unless you just get a project boat), I always say "pick your dealer, then pick your boat". Boats are different than cars as there are a lot less dealers for a particular brand so you'll want to make sure you have a dealer you can build a good relationship with. If you do need service and take a boat you bought from Dealer A (or from an individual) to Dealer B for service, you'll be at the back of the service line as the dealer will acccomdate boats he sold first. That can mean weeks or months off the water.

New or used - The used market MAY be starting to cool, but I still see used boats selling for like new prices. Part of that is because availability of new boats is still pretty scarce, so if you don't want to maybe wait months or more, a used boat can give you instant gratification. Even though pontoons/tritoons are pretty simple, technology has changed quickly in the last 5 years or so, so you'll at least be able to get (if you want them) the latest whistle and bells if you buy new. Combine a new boat with good dealerand a new warranty and you'll sleep easy at night. Or a good dealer with a decent used boat and some time of warranty can at least give you some peace of mind compared to driving it away from some guys backyard without any true recourse if it turns out to be crap.

Total cost - I see too many boats that rarely get used, and I suspect one of the reasons is the owners didn't calculate the total cost of ownership. So be sure to calculate everything! There's some hidden costs many people don't anticipate. For example: storage fees (a boat slip and/or boat/trailer storage) fuel, regular maintenance, boat snacks and beverages, insurance, boat toys (floats, towels, tubes, coolers, fishing gear), safety items (lines,fenders, anchors, life jackets first aid, etc). I don't have a boat loan payment, but for me the rest of those expenses add up to about $10k/year. Our boating season typically runs April - late October, although the boat stays in the water all year and gets used some in the cooler months. The biggest single expense is the boat slip, which is $3500/year. I'm the type that when I invite friends and family on the boat, I don't want or need you to bring anything, or chip in for fuel, etc. so my expenses may be higher than some who share those costs with their boating friends.

All in all, it sounds like you're doing your due diligence and approaching things logically. When you do take the plunge, it will add an element to your life that is hard to ever leave behind! All the best in your search. :)
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

sunedog

#3 Post by sunedog » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:53 pm

You have one thing going in your favor -- you've picked the best time of the year to shop for a used boat. Around here (SC), after July 4, a lot of people start to lose the enthusiasm for the lake they had when they first hit the water in April or May. Lots of people start thinking they don't want to make those boat payments all Fall and Winter and they decide to sell about this time of year. I personally think the same boat will sell for 10 - 20% less in Sep or Oct than it would in Mar or Apr.

If I was in the market, I'd be scouring FB marketplace right now learning what is out there . When a really good deal presents itself, be ready to drop everything, hop in the car and be the first to go see it. Take $500 in cash for a down payment. If you want to buy it, write up a simple contract on the spot and commit to it. ("I, John Smith agree to buy (year make model Hull ID number of boat) from Jim Jones for $10,000. I have given Jim Jones $500 cash down payment. I, Jim Jones accept the $500 cash down payment and agree to sell (year make model Hull ID number of boat) to John Smith. I will sign over the title and release the boat when John Smith provides the balance of $9500. If he doesn't provide it within X days, I will keep his deposit but am free to sell the boat to anyone else." Both of you sign the contract in the presence of a witness who also signs and you have a binding contract that is enforceable.) Come back later with the balance and drag the boat home.

Bassun

#4 Post by Bassun » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:47 pm

@steve1313
You are right in that I am still debating the details of what kind of pontoon I want. Brand doesn't really matter, it's more about figuring out the layout and how to work with it. Unfortunately, dealer options in my location are very limited. It's more that likely if I buy new, its going to be a trip to get - or I am self limiting to what the couple of local shops can do. Warranty work is my only concern with that. I've had my boat for about 2 decades, unless it is something pretty extreme I do my own work. That said, it's a little different working on a 20 year old boat, vs having an issue with a new one. I would not be so happy lol. I'm with you on the used prices still being insanely high -- that's part of what is making me really lean towards doing a new rig. AND my lord are you not kidding about the hidden costs. Even on my little bass boat, things add up every trip! I don't have a slip, but I do trailer for 45 mins each trip. Adds up quick...and tacks on a few more grand for a rig since I have to buy a trailer as well.

@sundog
I've been doing just that. I've been hounding FB etc. watching for a good rebuild option to come by. I found one which had my interest. A '98 24' Spectrum with a 90 Yamaha on it for under 5k w/ trailer. Needed new carpet, but the wood looked and supposedly was solid. Seats would need replaced/cushions replaced or at least recovered. It would be "usable" as is, but not the quality I wanted. It did only have 23" toons, but they did look good. It felt like a great platform for me to rebuild from. Contacted the dude to check it out and run it on the water, then things became sketchy, so that was a no go. Everything else has been more expensive and in worse shape, or close to new price for an old rig. I'm not looking to spend 35K on a strangers 10 year old boat. I'd rather spend a little more and get new. Now if it was someone I knew, and knew how they maintained it - that's a different story.

I hope anyone who reads this reads your comment on how to buy. I would add a little more to the contract, adding a little legal protection from hidden liens etc. Even if it doesn't hold up or go to court, the fact that you outline it on paper will back some people down from hosing you. (Helped a buddy with some paperwork on a truck once...that "clause" freaked the seller out and he admitted to some sort of fines and a legal dispute with his ex whose name was apparently on the title too. Which I think is why it was such a good deal to begin with. Too good to be true...probably is.) 100% money talks! Honestly, I prefer to quietly have the cash on hand vs dealing with a pay and come back. Especially on long runs. Went a couple of states over for a car once... did NOT want to drive back to pick it up lol. Be prepared, and be safe!

Good input guys thanks!

Anyone know anything about USA Pontoons? The kit company out of SC?

Steiner

#5 Post by Steiner » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:17 pm

Your money is easy for us to spend... But you really need to say what your budget is.
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

TWB

#6 Post by TWB » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:01 pm

I totally agree with everything said above.

I was lucky enough to know the owner I was buying from quite well. I also knew the history of the boat - even though it was 15 years old.
Long story short - I bought it with the feeling of: A.) Is the motor in "good" shape so I don't have that expense right away; B.) I want to clean it up enough to get at least one year out of it to see if I want to continue; and C.) At the end of that year, if I am still in love, I want to rebuild it from the toons up (My wife and I enjoy that type of thing).
Luckily, the motor was practically a 15 year old New motor; the boat cleaned up so well that we got 2 seasons out of it; and we rebuilt it (during Covid) from the toons up and it turned out spectacularly! (In my own humble opinion.)

I might submit for your edification that a used boat, in good condition (especially the motor), can allow for your immediate desire of being wet; can allow for you to decide what you'd do differently /customize if you rebuilt it yourself; and might turn into a fun project. That is not everyone's cup of tea. And I totally agree - if the seller won't take you to test drive it, don't touch it!

I also agree with Steve1313 (I usually do), try to avoid rushing into a decision while you figure out what you're truly wanting. It's too expensive to decide later that you wish you'd done that other thing.

Best of Luck.

-Paul
Paul & Michele
2003 Landau DX 24' Cruise "Loretta Jane"
2003 Mercury 75hp
My Rebuild: http://pontoonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26135

"Don't waste brain cells over something you can do nothing about." --My Wife

NonHyphenAmerican

#7 Post by NonHyphenAmerican » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:51 pm

This is just my opinion.

I've been really happy with my SunCatcher.
Made by Yamaha, 90hp Outboard by Yamaha.
Mines 22', but a 24 would be nice.
Mines a 2013.
I've liked it well enough I'd buy another one if I were to need to replace the one I've got.

I like the pull point for tubing.
I like the vinyl flooring for cleanup. Especially after fishing.
I have a little Ryobi Pressure Washer that can siphon from the lake. Makes for EASY cleanup.
I like the live wells.
All in all, I like the toon.

Feel free to use my comments to help you decide.

I really cannot argue with any of the above comments.

I bought mine new, but a previous years model.
I'm on my 9th Summer with it. It goes in the water in March-April and doesn't come out till November.

It's not the fastest, nor the fanciest toon on the lake, but it's mine and it's paid for and we enjoy using it.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have as much fun with yours as we've had with ours.
[color=#FF0000][b]22' G3 SunCatcher V22F
Yamaha F-90
Tooning on El Dorado Reservoir[/b][/color]

wiread

#8 Post by wiread » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:17 pm

We recently bought one, more my wife's idea, but timing was ok. Bought newer and nice enough that I wouldn't mind re-powering in a few years and keeping for long haul if need be. Our old boat was getting old. Repairs were going to become regular and i'm not keen on missing weeks of an already short season up here.

But i still keep watching and prices are dropping. I think i'd look for what I want and try and find one. If a rebuild is what you're looking for, I"d wait till later. People are still asking higher prices, but by September I think the rebuild boats will have rebuild prices back on them because plenty of boats with 15-30 hours on them are going up for sale every day here at least and prices are down a few grand just in the past 3 weeks.