Trolling Motor

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

JDOUG

Trolling Motor

#1 Post by JDOUG » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:22 am

I have a 24-foot Starcraft and would like to add a trolling motor as a backup in case I have motor issues. Not really for fishing, but for emergencies.
What size trolling motor do I need. Minnkota makes a tiller steer pontoon motor in 12volt 55lb thrust or 24-volt 70lb versions. Do I need the 24-volt motor or would the 12-volt motor work?
Thanks

Marc K

Re: Trolling Motor

#2 Post by Marc K » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:46 pm

It will really depend on your expectations. How far do need to go and how many deep cycle batteries are you going to install?
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

JDOUG

#3 Post by JDOUG » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:05 am

I really only want it for emergencies. We often boat during the week and usually are the only boat on the lake. If the main motor doesn't stare, we are kind of screwed. I would like to have something to get us back to the boat launch. A single battery would be more convenient. But I'm not sure if a 55 lb. thrust motor would move the boat.
Thanks

jediger

#4 Post by jediger » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:42 pm

If you are mostly worried about running down your battery and not being able to start your engine, I would go with something like these... https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Jum ... /318336011

Cheaper, less weight, and reliable. I've used one to start our boat before.

The only point I could see to a trolling motor is if you are worried about possibly having taken out your lower unit hitting a rock or something. That's a lot of extra battery, transom space and money for that kind of problem though. For that issue, assuming cell phone service is poor, you'd be better off with a satellite phone so you could call help rather than carrying an extra motor all the time. If you've got cell service just call for help.
Pinawa Bay, Manitoba
2014 Premier Cast-a-way 231, PTX; 2014 Evinrude 250HO ETEC

riplipper

#5 Post by riplipper » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:33 am

How far would/could you have to go? that is the first question.
One mile, maybe two, a 55lb would get you back if no wind or currents.
Also, have you thought about lithium batteries? WAY less weight and WAY longer run time.
They can be had pretty cheap on amazon.
I am the guy at the boat ramp that gives you dirty looks when you are a complete idiot and too stupid to know it.

steve1313

#6 Post by steve1313 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:20 am

Does Boat US or SeaTow service your lake? That's certainly the best solution for emergencies.
Steve
"Serendipity" - 2017 Sweetwater 2286 WB Tritoon w/ 150HP Yamaha
Slipped at Lake Anna, Virginia
Primary Residence: Richmond, Virgina
Lake House: Lake Anna, Virginia

JDOUG

#7 Post by JDOUG » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:19 am

I only need to get back to the boat launch on smaller lakes. We often boat during the week when there are no other boats out. No tow services available. One time I had to tilt the motor up to get weeds off of the prop. Well, the trim motor failed in the up position. There is a relief screw on the trim motor made of plastic. It was stripped out and didn't help. I kicked the motor and finally the trim motor started working, so we got lucky. Otherwise, we would have been stuck out on the lake. So, a trolling motor seems like cheap insurance. Any thoughts are appreciated.