Is it wise or okay…

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Gustopho

Is it wise or okay…

#1 Post by Gustopho » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:40 pm

I’m needing to do some work in the trailer. Is it wise or is it okay to rest the pontoon directly on soft grass rather than block or wood?

Rick McC.

Re: Is it wise or okay…

#2 Post by Rick McC. » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:38 pm

Gustopho wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:40 pm
I’m needing to do some work in the trailer. Is it wise or is it okay to rest the pontoon directly on soft grass rather than block or wood?
Well; if you put it right on the ground, how are you going to get it back in the trailer?
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#3 Post by HandymanHerb » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:21 am

He has a scissors trailer
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

wiread

#4 Post by wiread » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:11 pm

I'd just use blocks and put it on a finished surface like cement. Gives you a nice stable platform and worry free. I've seen them dropped on all sorts of stuff, and it can be fine, but I just worry about the ground being uneven, shifting, or an unseen rock doing something to a toon.

Marc K

#5 Post by Marc K » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:59 pm

My 25' pontoon boat has been hanging in my boathouse on two 6" wide straps for the last 15+ years. Everything I have read says that you cannot do this without eventually damaging the boat. It was there when I bought the house and is still hanging there.

I cannot envision a problem with sitting on flat grass, but I am willing to learn!

Marc
Big and ugly but we love our 1999/2000 Crest II DL with a Yamaha F115

Gustopho

#6 Post by Gustopho » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:00 pm

Thanks guys. To get it back on the trailer I was planning to raise the jose of the trailer until the bunks are touching the ground. Have a bout 5 guys push from the back as much as we can. I’m redoing the bunks with Gatorbak lining, not carpet. I would saturate the bunks with Dawn dish soap then use a wench to finish the job. I would do all of this prior to starting on the deck. It would literally be the pontoons and cross members only. No furniture, no motor nothing but the deck.

Rick McC.

#7 Post by Rick McC. » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:31 pm

Gustopho wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:00 pm
Thanks guys. To get it back on the trailer I was planning to raise the jose of the trailer until the bunks are touching the ground. Have a bout 5 guys push from the back as much as we can. I’m redoing the bunks with Gatorbak lining, not carpet. I would saturate the bunks with Dawn dish soap then use a wench to finish the job. I would do all of this prior to starting on the deck. It would literally be the pontoons and cross members only. No furniture, no motor nothing but the deck.
That sounds like a good plan to me.
Rick

Sights are for the unenlightened.