Bunk length

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Gustopho

Bunk length

#1 Post by Gustopho » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:35 pm

Hey guys, so I came up with a ironclad way to remove the pontoon from the trailer. I’m going to completely redo the trailer bunks. My question is, when laying down new 2X6 bunks, do I make them 24’ to match the tube length or do I go 16’? If I go a shorter length than the bunks, how much offset from the rear and front do I place them? Should it be 2’ foot tube overhang in the back, leaving 4’ on the front? I am using this example as I’m sure I will need more support in the rear motor area than I would need in the front for weight distribution.

Steiner

Re: Bunk length

#2 Post by Steiner » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:23 am

I think at a minimum you want the entire round part of the toon supported. The nose cones are not vital because they're not going to touch anything and neither of my trailers have had the bunks all the way to the front stop BUT I think that's more of a function of how the body of my trailers were built where the outer rails come inward to join the tongue so you couldn't install a bunk bracket anyway. Trying to cut eight feet out of a 24' pontoon might be asking a little much if you're trying to save on boards. So, I think you can start your bunks maybe a few feet back from the front stop but I'd run them back far enough so the back end of the toon is on the bunk.
2019 G3 SunCatcher V322 SS tritoon, Yamaha F200
2019 F-150 XLT SuperCrew FX4, 3.5L EcoBoost Max Trailer Tow Package

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: Bunk length

#3 Post by HandymanHerb » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:56 am

I like my rollers
Attachments
m24.jpg
m24.jpg (71.69 KiB) Viewed 5795 times
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen