I know now

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Lindsay90

I know now

#1 Post by Lindsay90 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:08 am

Took the pontoon out with a friend of mine to go fishing. Well my wife always loads up the boat I just back down the trailer so this would be a first for me to load it up. Well all was going good no wind but in the far back of the mountains saw big thunder heads brewing. Well I kept saying to myself need to get the boat loaded B-4 the storm gets here but the guy I was with said no storm is here, it is far away. Well I kid you not 1/2 hr boom it hit like nothing I seen B-4. E-Z ups were flying all over in the lake white caps boats making a mad dash to the loading ramp lightning. Well my guy gets the trailer I power up all I could do is get the front in but the ass end would slide over. Well after trying three time good fellow boaters 5 of them came over and helped load it. If there is anything I learned from this is go with your gut feeling and not your friends.
2003 Fisher Liberty 200

FishinBilly

#2 Post by FishinBilly » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:18 pm

I had a similar experience my first time with the toon. I can only blame myself, though. I saw the clouds, and thought about heading back, and didn't. Well, it came up hard, I got everyone else to the dock, and I went back out into the water to wait on my trailer (with about 30 other boats). It was probably a 70 mph micro burst coming across the lake. I had put the bow towards the wind, and had that little 25hp at almost WOT just to maintain my position. All kinds of crap coming across the lake. Boat bumpers, RV covers. The boat was hitting the waves head on, and water was coming all the back to drench me at the helm. After a few minutes of puckering, I decided that the boat was probably going to take the punishment. So I changed my attitude from fear, to enjoying the ride. (without doing anything stupid)

Finally, my father got to the ramp with the trailer, and I headed up there. I got loaded no prob, as the park officials were there helping everyone out. About that time, the wind had gone down quite a bit. My brand new tent tore to shreds, as well. I think it was because I hadn't used all the stakes, and planted them all the way down. I reckon some air had gotten under the tent, and when that happens, I imagine there isn't much you can do.

Fun for my first toon trip.
1994 Sun Tracker Bass Buggy 18
HUGE 25hp Merc Tracker
1999 Chevy C1500 5.7l Vortec
Mostly at Ute Lake NM

Pop24

#3 Post by Pop24 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:06 am

When it's all said and done....Your still the captain and responsible for all aboard. Do what you think is best.
"My drinking friends have a lake problem"
2006 Bennington 22' TripleToon,Yamaha 150

REPETE

#4 Post by REPETE » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:13 am

It's your boat and your call. Don't let anyone talk you into anything. At times while I'm out fishing I push the envelope a bit given that the fish bite turns on right before a storm....but since kids...I usually get my ass off the water.
Just verified it on Snopes. Liberals are complete mouth breathing idiots.

I shanked my lover because hoes kept stealing my taco's.

toonplayer

#5 Post by toonplayer » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:03 am

You will only make that mistake one time. Well at least that was enough for me. Same scenerio except we weren't fishing. I said to myself "there's a storm starting to build. Instead of saying that I just asked if everyone was ready to head back up the lake. When I heard several nos, I let it go. We were caught in a horrible storm and we were about 3 miles from the Marina. I finally pulled into an empty boat house( it was new and the house wasn't finished) It did not matter because we were soaked cold. From then on, If I get a feeling, we go; Period

Toonplayer
2005 Crest II RE 115 4stroke Johnson
Lake Hickory NC

Toontroller

#6 Post by Toontroller » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:46 pm

We had a 12' fishing boat and my youngest and I were fishing. There was one cloud I swear no bigger than a basketball when I looked up. Not 5 minutes later my daughter said dad let's go that cloud is getting bigger I looked at it and thought KIDS and blew it off. Within another 5 minutes I looked up and a bolt of lightning shot out but it was still a long ways away and still pretty small but to be on the safe side decided it was time to head for the ramp, that and my daughter said she was getting scared. The boat ride was all of 4 minutes and when we reached the ramp it was a full on thunderstorm 60 MPH winds, lightning and hail. All we had time to do was run the boat upon the beach and run for cover in the truck. When we were in the truck a gust of wind snapped a big tree limb and it was blown across the windsheild luckily the main part of the branch missed the truck and the leafy part covered the cab. Looked out the window again and it was raining corn stalks! Nearest corn field was seven miles away. It lasted a total of 15 minutes and was gone. Within minutes after it
was over my wife was at the ramp to make sure we were OK and said a tornado was spotted on the outskirts of town.

All of this took place in less than 45 minutes from the time I first saw that little puff ball until moma showed up. It still frightens me every time I think about it because there is no way we could have made it back in that little boat if we would have left 3 minutes later. Now I pay real close attention to my youngest when she says dad I don't like the looks of that cloud..........
1991 Sun Tracker Bass Buggy 16
Evinrude 40

Bet I have the shortest Toon on this board also

Lindsay90

#7 Post by Lindsay90 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:44 pm

Toontroller wrote:We had a 12' fishing boat and my youngest and I were fishing. There was one cloud I swear no bigger than a basketball when I looked up. Not 5 minutes later my daughter said dad let's go that cloud is getting bigger I looked at it and thought KIDS and blew it off. Within another 5 minutes I looked up and a bolt of lightning shot out but it was still a long ways away and still pretty small but to be on the safe side decided it was time to head for the ramp, that and my daughter said she was getting scared. The boat ride was all of 4 minutes and when we reached the ramp it was a full on thunderstorm 60 MPH winds, lightning and hail. All we had time to do was run the boat upon the beach and run for cover in the truck. When we were in the truck a gust of wind snapped a big tree limb and it was blown across the windsheild luckily the main part of the branch missed the truck and the leafy part covered the cab. Looked out the window again and it was raining corn stalks! Nearest corn field was seven miles away. It lasted a total of 15 minutes and was gone. Within minutes after it
was over my wife was at the ramp to make sure we were OK and said a tornado was spotted on the outskirts of town.

All of this took place in less than 45 minutes from the time I first saw that little puff ball until moma showed up. It still frightens me every time I think about it because there is no way we could have made it back in that little boat if we would have left 3 minutes later. Now I pay real close attention to my youngest when she says dad I don't like the looks of that cloud..........
Wow Toon ! :shock:

I am lucky to not live in conditions like that, I have to deal with earthquakes. I just found out if you see lightning and here the thunder within 30 sec run!
2003 Fisher Liberty 200

Pop24

#8 Post by Pop24 » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:27 pm

We also keep portable wx radio and extra batteries on board just in case.
"My drinking friends have a lake problem"
2006 Bennington 22' TripleToon,Yamaha 150

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#9 Post by HandymanHerb » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:35 am

I figured the wx radio would be as good as a traffic report, by the time they tell you about the biggest back up ever, you know already because your in the middle of it.

I keep an eye out, I rode motorcycle's to work so long, I can usually tell if going to rain that day when I step out of the house in the morning, and when I rode it to work for years, I could usually tell you what time it would rain.

I walked out one morning and just knew I had just enought time to make it to work and it started raining on me as I was walking in the building and rain all day, all my buddies were kidding me about about getting wet on the way home, I told them it would stop at 3:15 and it stopped at 3:10, we got off at 3:30 and I rode home in the dry.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen