She's home but boy do I have a project!

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

tkrein

Re: She's home but boy do I have a project!

#16 Post by tkrein » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:37 am

no mold i just wanted to know if i could do preventiive messures so i wouldn't get mold as you know these things get wet i do let it dry very well b4 covering
2017 Bennington 22ssrx
115 Yamaha
karavan Trailer
2014 Chev tahoe

fishmor

#17 Post by fishmor » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:51 pm

I have done a bunch of toons like you are doing yours and use a pressure washer. It cleans them. I am building a custom 18 foot fishing toon and am using an old Aloha. They appear to me to be the strongest boats made. I am going to put a one piece deck on it so it should be as strong a toon as can be made with factory stuff. I love rough water and can hardly wait to get it on Texoma. I think my logs are .100 aluminum and the cross members are 1/4 in u-channels with everything welded together. I think mine is from the seventies. What year is yours? Mine is 24 ft but I am having it cut down to 18 ft. I am going to put a center log with transom on it too.

My logs are flattened somewhat on the bottoms but I am ignoring that. I don't think you should try to straighten bent aluminum as it fatigues so easily and will crack or break.

Even the side deck trim band is much thicker than other boats, 3/16 I believe.

I don't know if you have been to their site- http://www.alohapontoons.com/ it tells some of how they are built.
"Usefulness is the true test of value"
"You never own anything, it owns you"
"Be Happy and Do Good" Eccls 3:12

mikeherb

#18 Post by mikeherb » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:13 am

Herb,

I assume if I follow the mixing instructions I can spray JoMax on my carpet without any worry about spotting due to the bleach? I have some Jomax and want to try it as we have black mold the embeds in our carpet.

It gets so bad I have to pull the boat at mid-summer and power wash the carpet but it always comes back. Took me more than 3 hours to power wash the shit out of my carpet this fall.

NHAloha

#19 Post by NHAloha » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:20 am

fishmor...Mine is a 1993. Thanks to the forums I knew what to look for when I was searching and I also learned to ignore what it looked like as far as the upholstery and carpeting goes. Good luck with your project!

By the way, I took the old interior to the dump yesterday. I was shocked to see the weight. 790 pounds! Wow!

Chandler
1993 Aloha GS 240
90HP Force
Hoping to enjoy NH's lakes next Summer.

fishmor

#20 Post by fishmor » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:19 am

Thanks for the info-I've always wondered what some of that stuff weighed.
"Usefulness is the true test of value"
"You never own anything, it owns you"
"Be Happy and Do Good" Eccls 3:12

NHAloha

#21 Post by NHAloha » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:45 pm

I looked at the weight of new furniture and it's around 450 pounds plus the console.....so the extra weight is water. The foam obviously, then the wood which was pressure treated and verrrry heavy. The sunpad, which I still have here must weigh over 200 pounds. It's all I can do to lift it. I hope the boat will sit higher in the water with the extra heft gone :biggrin2
1993 Aloha GS 240
90HP Force
Hoping to enjoy NH's lakes next Summer.

tkrein

#22 Post by tkrein » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:39 pm

less weight always helps
2017 Bennington 22ssrx
115 Yamaha
karavan Trailer
2014 Chev tahoe

dahogman

#23 Post by dahogman » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:55 am

Chandler try this site, http://www.concrobium.com/atHome_howToUse.php mouse over the sailboat in the how to use section. :thumbsup
Deja Moo.....The feeling that you've heard this Bull before!!!
2011 Tracker Targa V18 WT, 150 Mercury Optimax