Toon Repair

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Rivercamp

Toon Repair

#1 Post by Rivercamp » Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:29 am

I Ran across this on another forum. Thought it may be useful over here for someone in the future. (but lets hope not).

I have a 35 ft. Playcraft pontoon HB and was listing to the port side. Suspected water in the port pontoon and was looking at option of hauling it out and repaired. Then some dock buddies came up with a great idea that seemed to get the water out. First, we found a small crack about one-half inch in length and well above the water line in the front of the pontoon just behind a medium size dent in the front of the pontoon. Here is how we got the water out and patched the small tear.

1) We drilled a one inch diameter hole in the top of the pontoon sticking out in front of the front deck.

2) We created a "low spot" on the front port potoon by placing coolers and tubs on the corner of the deck filled with water so it would weigh down the front and the water would flow to the front. The pontoon has baffles and foam inside, but baffles don't go all the way to the botton of the five ft. sections and allows water to flow in the bottom channel of the toon.

3) I got a 5 ft. section of flexible PVC (3/4 inch diameter) and duct taped the end to a 6.5 HP wet vaccum.

4) I ran the PVC down the front curved portion of the toon about 4 ft. in along the bottom of the toon.

5) We sucked about 90 gallons of water out of the toon (took about 6 hours) with the wet vac and water moving forward to the front.

6) The small crack was accessible from the one-inch hole we drilled and put some JB Weld on the crack from the inside. The crack was not on a stress weld, only right behind the dent in the front of the toon.

7) Let JB Weld cure for 24 hrs. and sealed the drilled hole on top up with a one inch boat drain plug with some silicone around it to be water tight. The lost water weight raised both pontoons up out of the water about 4 inches.

8) Tested potoon, plowed it through water and dry as a bone afterwards.

I am luck the crack was not undert the water line, but it worked, for now. Thanks for all the advice I have learned from this board, thought I would share some.

Posted by KnoxTNrviver on the Houseboat forum.
2006 2186 Sweetwater
90 Yamaha 2 stroke
Towed by 2004 Ranger or 99 Ford Explorer

Ohio River - Westport Ky

mike
Site Owner

#2 Post by mike » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:17 pm

Smart thinking!!

Thanks for posting that tidbit of knowledge!!
1999 Voyager 21' Express Fish triple toon 115hp Mercury (SOLD)
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho