Is log cleaning nessessary?

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Richard

Is log cleaning nessessary?

#1 Post by Richard » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:42 am

I want to get a pontoon, but am hesitating because of all the treads about sanding and acid washing, etc..
We would be on inland lake in Florida. Have a choice of keeping pontoon on trailer or is slip. I don't think I care if it is a shinny toon, but it probably needs to be kept smooth clean.
What is the minimum that I will have to do to maintain the toons?

jimrs

Re: Is log cleaning nessessary?

#2 Post by jimrs » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:50 am

If all you do is boat during the weekend then cleaning the toon is a lot less important. Most of the crud that builds up is from a very dirty lake and when the boat sits in the water for weeks. I had a toon on a lake in texas and never had to clean the toons with anything but soap and water. The lake I'm on now after a long two days there is a scumline.

I buy the toonbrite cleaner and use as directed at the end of the summer and its not a big deal. It just makes it easier to clean off the crud. It is an acid but not like something that would eat everything it touches. It will kill grass under the boat if you do it in the yard. The worst part of owning a toon is all the upholstry you will have to clean. there is a lot of that and the mildew is worse than the crud from the water.

Just buy one and enjoy it, it makes it easier if your wife will help you clean. If not it is just a day and it's done and then you can enjoy your toon.
2001 22' Tracker Regency (sold)
2001 Mercury 90 HP (sold)
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau

lakerunner
Site Moderator

Re: Is log cleaning necessary?

#3 Post by lakerunner » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:10 am

If you keep it on a trailer then just clean the logs with what ever you clean the boat with. If you keep it slipped then you might want to annually pressure was logs. You don't have to do anything if you wish not to.
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#4 Post by HandymanHerb » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:07 am

I keep mine on the trailer in Florida and just wipe them down if I leave it in the water a few days, you have more trouble keeping the furniture area clean.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

scfishnman

#5 Post by scfishnman » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:16 am

Mine has been in the water for three years (only taken out for oil changes and then put right back in). A thin layer of crud has built up on the pontoons. It takes a few MPH of the top end speed but not enough to bother me yet. In our lake it only takes a few days for the crud ring to develop but it apparently never builds up too much.
-- Aqua Patio 240DC triple toon 225 Yamaha 4-stroke
-- 17' Polar Kraft w/ 75 hp Evinrude Etec
-- Yamaha Waverunner FX Cruiser HO
-- Yamaha Waverunner FX HO

mike
Site Owner

#6 Post by mike » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:44 am

I trailer mine and never have had to clean mine yet! I may try to polish them next spring just for the bling factor...
1999 Voyager 21' Express Fish triple toon 115hp Mercury (SOLD)
2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Boise Idaho

JohnO

#7 Post by JohnO » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:01 pm

I had mine in a slip all summer. Took it out of the water yesterday. Had some growth on the back end but minimal anywhere else (it's a covered slip so only the backend gets any real sunlight).

Get yourself a few scotchbrite type pads and when you are swimming give the tubes a good scrub down. I can do all three tubes a very thorough scrub down in about 30 minutes or less. Of course this is divided between all the swimming we do for the day so it's not drudgery at all. I figure if I'm going to be in the water anyway I may as well pass teh pad over the tubes.

I figure a short session with a scrub brush or power washer will remove the stuff that's on there now.

So while some cleaning is needed it's not a big issue at all.
2006 24' Manitou Osprey Pro SHP F2
175 Yamaha VMax
2016 Ford F150

mikeherb

#8 Post by mikeherb » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:59 pm

Mine is in a slip all summer for 5 months or so. I used to pull it out mid-year and clean the toons, but now I just wipe the toons down with a rag while I'm out swimming. I can do this once a month or so and the toons are clean except for a small scum line at water level.

I don't worry about the scum line until spring when I spray on wheel spoke cleaner or coil cleaner (acid), let it sit for 2 minutes, then power wash the toons. Takes no time and is very little maintenance.