NEW BOAT / BAD LUCK

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

ROLAND

NEW BOAT / BAD LUCK

#1 Post by ROLAND » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:05 am

Well boys I finally got the call I've been waiting to get. My local boat shop called me today and told me my new Bennington Fishing barge would be here friday. Never even owned a row boat before so naturally I'm pumped... then it dawns on me... I got no way to get it home... turns out put my truck in the shop last friday to get a minor repair done.. but while it was in the shop, thier service guy backed it out of the stall, but forgot to close the door... bang, back door ripped off the vehicle... so now, the vehicle's in thier body shop and here I sit with my first boat arriving tomorrow and no way to drag it home... thus my line ' new boat / bad luck ... oh well, still going over to the dealer saturday before he starts to rig it out for me.. Probably just gonna sit it in for awhile and pretend i'm on lake bistineau or caddo lake... first I have to learn to back the damn thing up... never was good at backing a trailer up... Guess I'll have to figure it out now.

Roland
Roland & Jo
2010 Bennington 20 Sfi
Yamaha 75 4 Stroke
Shreveport, Louisiana

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

Re: NEW BOAT / BAD LUCK

#2 Post by HandymanHerb » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:06 am

Pontoons are easy to back because of their size, you get it in no time, Welcome can't wait to see pictures of the toon.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

badmoonrising
Site Admin

#3 Post by badmoonrising » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:15 am

I'd make that shop give me a truck, tow the boat home and take her out on the lake :rofl
Ed, Cheryl, Ethan and Aspen.
2013 Sun Tracker Party Barge 22 w/90 HP Mercury, "Hellrhighwater 2"
2014 E-350 Extended XLT.
Chesapeake City ,MD

Snider4

#4 Post by Snider4 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:38 am

"An old trucker told me to keep my steering hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and then if you turn the wheel right the trailer will go right and left for left, it works. The most important thing is to take your time coming and going, never rush or allow yourself to feel rushed in and out."

Good luck and congratulations
Snider4
Misty Harbor 2080RE
Merc 50
Sprinter Select 26BH
Ohio

mikeherb

#5 Post by mikeherb » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:46 am

badmoonrising wrote:I'd make that shop give me a truck, tow the boat home and take her out on the lake :rofl
I agree with BMR. Have them lend you a truck or rent you one.

Practice backing in a deserted parking lot. Back it into a parking space a few times and you'll get the hang of it.

Working a boat ramp works best if you have two people who can either back the trailer or run the boat. My wife can run the boat but not back a trailer well so I back the trailer in and she drives the boat on. This really helps at a busy ramp so the boat driver can hang out on the lake until you or someone else gets the trailer backed down the ramp.

Nothing worse than the ramp being blocked with a family sitting on the boat clinging to the dock while the husband goes and gets the truck and backs it down the ramp, then has to get on the boat and drive it on the trailer. Then he has to get off the boat and drive the truck up the ramp. All the while folks are waiting for them to clear the ramp.

schmir

#6 Post by schmir » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:03 am

I was nervouse when I first started backing my first boat. I also use the hand on the bottom of the wheel. Now I am comfortable backing into just about any space you could throw at me. I think most of my troubles in the beginning were from oversteering. A small turn on the wheel makes plenty of difference. Take your time and make small adjustments with the wheel and you will be a pro in no time at all.
23ft 2007 Parti Kraft, 115hp Yamaha 4 stroke on the Mighty Vermilion River!

jafo9

#7 Post by jafo9 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:53 am

funny, the hand under the wheel is also my "trick" i use. works great. in tight spots like backing down a driveway, etc., i really like having a spotter on the outside of the vehicle. keeps me from taking down too many tree limbs. boat launches are usually pretty easy as they usually don't have trees or other things to get in the way. i also agree with practice. find a really slow time at your launch of choice and go through the motions a few times. most people at launches are nice and will be glad to lend a hand. especially if it keeps things moving.
2003 Premier Grand Majestic 250 PTX Honda 225 OB (PTX baby!)
2002 MasterCraft X30
2007 Yamaha FX HO Cruiser
2005 Kawasaki SXR800
2004 Yamaha SuperJet
1989 Kawasaki 650sx
Lewis Smith Lake, Alabama

slingshot

#8 Post by slingshot » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:18 pm

Handyman is right. The longer the trailer the easier it is. I have a devel of a time with my 6 foot utility trailer.
2007, 2570 Crest LE II
Yamaha F150

jimrs

#9 Post by jimrs » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:09 am

Probably just gonna sit it in for awhile and pretend i'm on lake bistineau or caddo lake...

With the way the weather and Salvania have been lately that sounds like a good idea. All the area lakes are high and now are not expected to crest until next tuesday. All the area lakes are experiencing Salvania problems too that includes Bistineau, Caddo, Cross lake and Cypress lake. The gates are open on Bistineau and look at it now.

Bistineau is scheduled to be down for a year not closing the gates until January 2011. The rest I don't know about but your close enough to go to Lake of the Pines. Bad time to get a new boat, I know it is hard to take. I would be chomping at the bit to get her wet soon.

Here you can see both the high water and the Salvania.
Attachments
IMG_0375 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0375 (Medium).JPG (95.51 KiB) Viewed 3053 times
IMG_0371_1 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0371_1 (Medium).JPG (118.01 KiB) Viewed 3056 times
2001 22' Tracker Regency (sold)
2001 Mercury 90 HP (sold)
Elm Grove, La
Lake Bistineau