Pontoon restore project

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

Uncle Doug

Pontoon restore project

#1 Post by Uncle Doug » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:08 pm

I am a new member here and also a new owner of a late 80's 20 foot Grumman pontoon boat. The motor (70 HP ) is only 5 years old so no issues there. The test drive went very well. Our son has had a 28 footer for a couple of years but that size seemed a little large for the 2 of us.

The deck appears to be ok other than needing new carpet. The seats and stearing console is another issue. Most of the seats are not worth re-covering and will most likely go with new only with fewer seats.

The real challange is the stearing console. I have found a few online that are offered as pontoon consoles but look very plain. Either that or jump up to the over $500 range for an entry level fiberglass console. Is there any after market consoles that look more attractive than a vinal covered box yet sill less than $500.

Doug
Dayton, TX

Heatman

Re: Pontoon restore project

#2 Post by Heatman » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:59 pm

Welcome to the forum. I have also looked for a replacement console and the nice ones are expensive. On mine the clearcoat is peeling and I may end up refinishing it.

Have you looked on ebay? Here's one in the $300 range.
CONSOLE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c5190c0feQQitemZ190347002110QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear
2014 Tracker Targa V-18 Combo/ Mercury 150hp 4 stroke
'06 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4 Big Horn Hemi
Sheridan, Indiana

HandymanHerb
Site Admin

#3 Post by HandymanHerb » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:17 pm

Forget the carpet and go with roll on bed liner, easy clean up doesn't stay wet for days, protects the wood.
In Memory of John 6x6 Larsen

Parasympathetic

#4 Post by Parasympathetic » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:45 am

Try Overton's. I like their model # 73491. It's only $249 and looks less like a box.

2015 Ranger RT175
Yamaha 70hp
Lake Wappapello, MO

IF WE MAKE GUNS ILLEGAL, THEN NOBODY WILL GET SHOT ANYMORE. THAT'S HOW WE STOPPED EVERYBODY FROM DOING DRUGS.

Uncle Doug

#5 Post by Uncle Doug » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:26 am

Thanks, saw a few on Ebay, will look at the Overton model also.

Trying not to rush the restore but the weather should be warm enough to be out on the water down here in another 4-6 weeks. Maybe the groundhog was wrong this year.

curtiscapk

#6 Post by curtiscapk » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:05 am

Welcome!! and we love pics...
Craig and Paula
"THE FLOATER" rebuild Spring 2013
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15328
94 Party Barge 24' 115 merc
Turning Point hustler 14 x 13 prop
22mph gps 3 people
12 F150
Overland Park Ks
Hillsdale Lake, KS

LTB Racing

#7 Post by LTB Racing » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:16 am

Have you looked at American soft trim interiors? I bought my carpet there and have been very happy with them. They also sell fiberglass consoles starting at 286.00....
http://www.americansofttrim.com/Qstore. ... 1206032729
LTB Racing
Quartershot T3-R Merc 2.5 260
Fiesta 18 Party Barge w/ Twin Evinrude 50's
http://WWW.LTBracing.com
"The great ones practice the basics"

dahogman

#8 Post by dahogman » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:54 am

Truck bed liner has problems specific to its application. The main problem being that for proper adhesion you need the area to be completely dry. The Bed liner products initially go on well and at the beginning appear to have been the answer everyone was looking for. However over time it will begin to peel up or bubble everywhere there was moisture present. I can tell you from working on boats that getting decking dry enough for this type of application is a daunting challenge and seldom do you get all areas dry enough to not have problems somewhere. I have never applied this type of product over new wood so I won't pretend to know how it will react. I will say that even new wood has a significant amount of moisture and will probably require moisture testing before application. I have used bedliner on many different commercial agricultural applications and some marine applications and have had problems with moisture after application. I did a entire boat trailer with it and the Gentleman still raves about that trailer. It worked very well on the steel boat trailer and is a excellent non slip solution to that problem. I tried it in a jon boat on plywood and did not fare so well. But if you can get the existing decking dry enough the bed liner is a option, colors are a little limited, you might look at duraback liner for Marine applications. It has more options and is a proven product though a little more expensive. You could also try Marine grade Vinyl for the floor if you don't want carpet. Here is a link to some more Consoles for you. http://www.pontoonstuff.com/
Deja Moo.....The feeling that you've heard this Bull before!!!
2011 Tracker Targa V18 WT, 150 Mercury Optimax