Cleaning toons .... Again

You know the drill..

Moderators: Redneck_Randy, badmoonrising, lakerunner

L3akaL3

Cleaning toons .... Again

#1 Post by L3akaL3 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:11 am

I have a question that has probably been asked and answered but I coudn't find it so I have to ask again.

I want to clean my toons, I have seen here about using A/C coil cleaner, muriatic acid, toon brite, the works bathroom cleaner etc. but have not seen anyone state a case about using mag wheel cleaner for cars. I just cleaned the wheels on my truck (aluminum mag wheels) and this spray on stuff ate right through all kinds of grime and made them look polished. Why wouldn't this stuff work on my toons? Has anyone tried it yet and what were the results? Bad idea and if so why?

I want to clean these up and then shark hide them before putting in again in the spring and we are overdue for a warm spell sooner or later and I want to jump on this project when it happens so I don't have to delay putting in the spring. So far, I did the 800 grit sandpaper thing then used course polishing compound for car paint and got the outside front half of one toon looking pretty good but it took all day and I was black from head to toe from the flying compound. I used plain old comet cleaner to clean the polishing compound off to get them completely clean and bright. A lot of work but they were pretty bright. I planned on doing this if no other way works to get the result I want but it is a lot of work and if the polishing compound is this black, then the before polish cleaning isn't going deep enough before I start the polishing process I guess. I still plan on hitting them once done with fine polishing compound before sharkhiding them if I dont run out of time. I want the fish to think these are big chrome spinner baits in the water -ggggggggg-

Any way, just curious if the spray on mag cleaner would work or do damage. The brand I used on my truck was Meguirs all wheel cleaner. it is purple in a spray bottle that you spritz on then water spray off. I tried muriatic acid last year and it didn't clean that well and left the aluminum a dull white after a lot of scrubbing with it.

The acid does OK with water deposits but not that great on algae and what ever other gunk grows on them. The wheel cleaner seems to eat through anything, salt stains, brake dust, hard water deposits, road grime so I figure it should be able to handle lake gunk.

Thank in advance,

Lee
Lee
No name picked yet
2003 21' Party Barge, Aluminum Deck, 2004 Merc 50
1986 F-150 (restored/customized)
Springfield Mo
Boat in Stockton Lake

lakerunner
Site Moderator

Re: Cleaning toons .... Again

#2 Post by lakerunner » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:47 am

At 4 to s bucks a bottle it seems like a very expensive endeavor.

post some pic's so we can see your progress
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
2004 Tracker 22 Regency/2010 90 E-Tec. Pulled by Ford 2020 F 250,
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

dockholiday

#3 Post by dockholiday » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:22 pm

I have used the sos an brillo pads to produce some shine, but sounds like you are past that stage with the wd 800 grit. I have used meguiars and mothers alum polish, both worked well but the sharkhide polish worked the quickest. If you want a real sheen the toon surface needs to be smooth. The wet dry paper will do this or mothers and meguiars polish, since the sharkhide is not abrasive but seems to bring the shine on with a lot less effort than the other two polishes. I have spent a good many hours on mine an these seem to be the best. You can deal with removing the black stuff with lacquer thinner.
doc

fishmor

#4 Post by fishmor » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:02 pm

I think mineral spirits work as well to remove the black stuff and not so unpleasant and cheaper. I have used the mag wheel cleaner and it doesn't do any better than anything else and cost more. If you have mineral/lime deposits use Muratic Acid. Thin it down a little and use only an all plastic sprayer. The pink coil cleaner does a little better than one of the others but I don't remember which one. Spray from the bottom up to avoid streaking.
"Usefulness is the true test of value"
"You never own anything, it owns you"
"Be Happy and Do Good" Eccls 3:12

dockholiday

#5 Post by dockholiday » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:07 am

That's true mineral spirits, rubbing alcohol, acetone etc will all work. Found the lacquer thinner the best over all but was surprised how much it was a gallon. Think the gallon I finished up, I had paid 7 or 8 and the one I bought was about 15. I just mentioned the thinner because anything that makes the polishing process easier an faster is usually worth the extra money in hours spent.

captain kurt

#6 Post by captain kurt » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:23 am

I've also recomend a product called CLR. I've not used it myself personaly. However my bro inlaw says it did the grime well. then add a good finish. :thumbsup
2001 Premier
250 R.E Majestic
4.3lt Tri toon
Lake Tahoe, Nv
2001 Dodge 1500 5.9lt

Hey! What's in your Bucket?

GXPWeasel

#7 Post by GXPWeasel » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:39 am

There isn't going to be any way to avoid the black that you are getting on you, or that your buffing pad, rag is getting by polishing the aluminum. This is what aluminum polish does, it takes away the dirt that washing (no matter how thorough) leaves behind. I would recommend a buffer with the same polishing compound, which should make the entire toon about a 1/2 to 3/4 day job. Something like the porter cable 7424, which has a dual action motion, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I got mine a while back for $110 shipped online.

I am going to tackle this same thing once the weather cooperates here as well, so let me know how that goes for you, and I would love to see some pictures. :biggrin2
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26

LTB Racing

#8 Post by LTB Racing » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:34 am

I found a product called "aluma-brite" and it works great.....I tried toon brite and it takes several applications and its sucks about streaking.....aluma brite took one application and about 5 mins of soaking and virtually no streaking. Plus...its far cheaper than toon brite. I paid about 13.00 a gallon vs the 22 for approx 1/2 gal of toon brite.
LTB Racing
Quartershot T3-R Merc 2.5 260
Fiesta 18 Party Barge w/ Twin Evinrude 50's
http://WWW.LTBracing.com
"The great ones practice the basics"

BassFrequency

#9 Post by BassFrequency » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:02 am

i cleaned and polished mine last year but you woulndt know it by looking at em now :x :x :x

when she was always in the water i took her through a thin ice sheet on the lake to get algea off
24' 1989 Starcraft 23.1mph gps
60HP Evinrude
'96 GMC Jimmy "The Demon" custom 8 ball lever 4x4
no muffler or cat. just strait to the back

margaritaman

#10 Post by margaritaman » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:08 am

LTB Racing wrote:I found a product called "aluma-brite" and it works great.....I tried toon brite and it takes several applications and its sucks about streaking.....aluma brite took one application and about 5 mins of soaking and virtually no streaking. Plus...its far cheaper than toon brite. I paid about 13.00 a gallon vs the 22 for approx 1/2 gal of toon brite.

LTB,
Can you post where you found the product? The website I found on Google was from Canada and the price was $27 for a small bottle.

Thanks
Cruising the salt waters of East Florida.

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#11 Post by lakerunner » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:53 am

I get mine at Lock Supply a heat and air distributer here in Oklahoma. It is also called Aluma Clean. Be sure and get the acid kind not the inside cleaner.
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller

Woody

#12 Post by Woody » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:39 pm

GXPWeasel wrote:.....and I would love to see some pictures. :biggrin2

I polished the toons on my last toon. I used my variable speed makita buffer with a wool pad, and automotive polishing compound. I think an actual metal polish may have done batter, but I used what I had on hand. It turned out really good. I applied Sharkhide when finished and it still looks as good now as it did then. (3 years and another owner later). I have not decided if I am going to do our new boat or not. It is a lot of work, but it sure does look good !

After first polish. (went over it about 3 times)

TN river was a little dirty after some heavy rains.
2014 Benny (Until I find a replacement for my totaled JC Tritoon)

Usually somewhere on the TN River

GXPWeasel

#13 Post by GXPWeasel » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:57 pm

^^^ That's what I'm talking about... :nana

I'm going for this look this spring. I have all the products, except for the Shark hide. That is a must I see.
"Nauti Weasel"
2005 Beachcomber Islander 26

tkrein

#14 Post by tkrein » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:11 pm

i have a question maybe im retarted but, what will these cleners do to the wood on my trailer. i know to be carfull and i can jack it off the wood but all in all there still might be some dripping i dont want to have to replace all the carpet and or wood on the trailer thanks.
2017 Bennington 22ssrx
115 Yamaha
karavan Trailer
2014 Chev tahoe

lakerunner
Site Moderator

#15 Post by lakerunner » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:36 pm

Most trailer manufactures do not use treated lumber on bunks, therefore they will most likely rot within the year. If the boat is used good chances they already are. I haven't had any issues with acid hurting carpet.
Loyd & Betty Meeks
Livin the lake life
McAlester, Oklahoma
Home lake is Tenkiller